2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

Sending you all some positive energy this Monday. You are talented regardless of rejections/acceptances. And you are pretty amazing for working so hard for something you care about. I am hoping for the best for you all!

I haven't posted in this thread yet, as I applied to both Creative Writing PhDs and Literature PhDs this round.. I've mostly been in the other thread. But I am currently in the final semester of my fiction MFA program. This year my MFA program decided to pick one student from each genre who is in their final year and add them to a sort of admissions review committee. Since I was chosen as the fiction representative, I get to look at incoming fiction applications and give my feedback to the department. I won't say which program I'm in (confidentiality and all that), and I wanted to stay away from this thread because I didn't want to accidentally stumble upon someone applying to my program. But I wanted to say that there are so many talented people applying. Rejection doesn't mean you aren't talented...from what I've seen it just means that the people in the department at the time just aren't a good fit for your that year. And of course...funding is limited. I've worked with literary journals and have similar things to say with that...there are amazing stories that we reject because they just aren't a fit for the journal, or because the Editor just isn't feeling it (it sucks lol). 

Saying all this doesn't change the fact that rejection doesn't feel good. I got rejected from every MFA program I applied to except the one I'm in now (and even then I barely made it off the waitlist). I have no publications in any literary journals. Rejection doesn't feel good at all and it is okay to feel disappointed. You're allowed to have feelings. You aren't wrong for your feelings. I just wanted to send you some encouragement from someone on the other side who is very familiar with rejection. 

I am sincerely hoping for the best for everyone. And I hope you get into the programs that would nurture your talents the best. ❤️ 

If anyone has questions about MFA programs, feel free to message me. I won't talk about my current experience with admissions review because it is confidential and I would never talk about someone else's submissions, but I'm happy to talk about anything else!

Iowa CNF rejection today! VERY SAD!!! Woof! But also was a nice email letting me know I didn't make it.....almost too nice. "I wish we were able to offer you a place in our program in the fall, but I do hope you will take this less as a reflection on your work than on the very tough competition that existed this year, which forced us to have to make some heartbreaking choices." Almost hurts more that they were so nice about it. 

But onwards and upwards! I'm choosing to feel good energy about the rest of my application season! Bring it on!!

Best wishes to everyone hearing tough news this week. ❤️ Big hugs

23 minutes ago, yahearditherefirst said:

Michigan rejection just now...

What's everyone's backup plan? Starting to gather together money for my law school deposit...

Backup plan is to work, save up money, write, and go through all this madness again.

23 minutes ago, yahearditherefirst said:

What's everyone's backup plan? Starting to gather together money for my law school deposit...

In the same boat. This one STUNG. No real backup plan as of now...considering wearing my giant poncho even though the temperature is in the mid 70's here cuz it makes me feel cool

10 minutes ago, dogeared said:

Sending you all some positive energy this Monday. You are talented regardless of rejections/acceptances. And you are pretty amazing for working so hard for something you care about. I am hoping for the best for you all!

I haven't posted in this thread yet, as I applied to both Creative Writing PhDs and Literature PhDs this round.. I've mostly been in the other thread. But I am currently in the final semester of my fiction MFA program. This year my MFA program decided to pick one student from each genre who is in their final year and add them to a sort of admissions review committee. Since I was chosen as the fiction representative, I get to look at incoming fiction applications and give my feedback to the department. I won't say which program I'm in (confidentiality and all that), and I wanted to stay away from this thread because I didn't want to accidentally stumble upon someone applying to my program. But I wanted to say that there are so many talented people applying. Rejection doesn't mean you aren't talented...from what I've seen it just means that the people in the department at the time just aren't a good fit for your that year. And of course...funding is limited. I've worked with literary journals and have similar things to say with that...there are amazing stories that we reject because they just aren't a fit for the journal, or because the Editor just isn't feeling it (it sucks lol). 

Saying all this doesn't change the fact that rejection doesn't feel good. I got rejected from every MFA program I applied to except the one I'm in now (and even then I barely made it off the waitlist). I have no publications in any literary journals. Rejection doesn't feel good at all and it is okay to feel disappointed. You're allowed to have feelings. You aren't wrong for your feelings. I just wanted to send you some encouragement from someone on the other side who is very familiar with rejection. 

I am sincerely hoping for the best for everyone. And I hope you get into the programs that would nurture your talents the best. ❤️ 

If anyone has questions about MFA programs, feel free to message me. I won't talk about my current experience with admissions review because it is confidential and I would never talk about someone else's submissions, but I'm happy to talk about anything else!

Thank you so much for the positive energy. Really needed it! Wish you all the best in your application process as well! ❤️ 

Just got my rejection from Michigan! Definitely feeling a bit bummed but I'm hoping it means Brown will be getting back to us soon too. Who knows! Maybe the universe doesn't want me getting my MFA in a colder climate. Keep pushing forward, y'all! If you're feeling anything similar to the levels of anxiety I've been feeling these days, I hear you and see you. We've got this! 

1 hour ago, yahearditherefirst said:

Same! Rejection email, woo. Finally feel like I can join the club in having answers now, haha ?. My backup plan is to teach English abroad, shooting for Japan, South Korea, or Hong Kong.

Anyone have any word on Oregon State poetry? I've seen that some people were put on the waitlist but I haven't seen any acceptances, maybe due to a hush order? Should I anticipate a rejection?? 

edit: my portal still says my app is "in review"

Edited by mnlandre
added more info

1 minute ago, NLake said:

Saw one Montana CNF acceptance on the results page. Anyone know anything about their history in terms of dishing out offers? I applied to the poetry concentration so I’m not panicking just yet. Well, only a little. 

I applied to fiction so I'm wondering about this as well.

Do schools ever just leave applicants wondering without a definitive rejection? I compulsively check my portals and my spam folder, but there are many many schools from whom I've heard nothing. I've still yet to receive news from FSU and U of AL, though both have had results posted weeks ago. 

Edited by cecsav

2 minutes ago, cecsav said:

Do schools ever just leave applicants wondering without a definitive rejection? I compulsively check my portals and my spam folder, but there are many many schools from whom I've heard nothing. I'm still yet to receive news from FSU and U of AL, though both have had results posted weeks ago. 

Also wondering about FSU!!!

6 minutes ago, orangeslice said:

Hoping for good news for you! 

1 minute ago, cecsav said:

Do schools ever just leave applicants wondering without a definitive rejection? I compulsively check my portals and my spam folder, but there are many many schools from whom I've heard nothing. I'm still yet to receive news from FSU and U of AL, though both have had results posted weeks ago. 

I think it’s not unusual for them to send out rejections later on in the cycle. I don’t know what the justification is, but it seems like certain schools will send out acceptances in mid feb, for example, and then the rejections will start popping up closer to the notification deadline in April. 

It makes me grateful I found this site. Otherwise I’d still be holding onto hope for ASU! 

2 hours ago, NLake said:

Saw one Montana CNF acceptance on the results page. Anyone know anything about their history in terms of dishing out offers? I applied to the poetry concentration so I’m not panicking just yet. Well, only a little. 

2 hours ago, orangeslice said:

I've seen two acceptances via for Montana so far - one in CNF (yesterday) and one in fiction (today). From previous results, it looks like Montana is somewhat all over the board with notifications so here's hoping that bandaid gets ripped off sooner rather than later. 

Edited by KZK
Fiction acceptance, not poetry!

17 minutes ago, KZK said:

I've seen two acceptances via for Montana so far - one in CNF (yesterday) and one in poetry (today - I *think* it's poetry but not sure). From previous results, it looks like Montana is somewhat all over the board with notifications so here's hoping that bandaid gets ripped off sooner rather than later. 

Thanks for the update! 

1 hour ago, cecsav said:

Do schools ever just leave applicants wondering without a definitive rejection? I compulsively check my portals and my spam folder, but there are many many schools from whom I've heard nothing. I've still yet to receive news from FSU and U of AL, though both have had results posted weeks ago. 

Just received an email from University of Alabama letting me know I've been waitlisted. 

1 hour ago, kikis_delivery said:

sending love to everyone who got rejected from michigan today!!! it was my first rejection and it definitely stung but glad to know at least. on a separate note, has anyone heard any news about nyu today? any more calls being made?

also wondering about this! Was hoping that NYU would continue to make some calls after last Friday's fellowship calls. I truly don't understand why they have to release notifications in this fashion.... 

40 minutes ago, cecsav said:

Just received an email from University of Alabama letting me know I've been waitlisted. 

Apparently I'm already out of "likes/reactions" but congrats!!!!!