2021 Applicants Forum

teasel

11 minutes ago, Pinskadan said:

shit are we.... supposed to submit a fafsa for UT???????

I mean, its not too late. Sure, Texas took a million years to process my fafsa but it’s definitely good to start it incase.

I submitted my fafsa for everywhere I applied immediately after I submitted my application. Granted, I did remove Minnesota and WashU, and added SJCNY recently. I think you’re supposed add up to 10 schools on the Fafsa (so pick favorites), ‘cause I’m not sure they can give you financial aid without it on file.

Edited by Ydrl

22 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

I mean, its not too late. Sure, Texas took a million years to process my fafsa but it’s definitely good to start it incase.

I submitted my fafsa for everywhere I applied immediately after I submitted my application. Granted, I did remove Minnesota and WashU, and added SJCNY recently. I think you’re supposed add up to 10 schools on the Fafsa (so pick favorites), ‘cause I’m not sure they can give you financial aid without it on file.

I just received a notification from UNM that they've received my FAFSA but can't do anything with it "until the admission process is complete." I'm like, yeah, well, WHOSE FAULT IS THAT!?!?!?!? Accept me or don't already! 

Just now, cecsav said:

I just received a notification from UNM that they've received my FAFSA but can't do anything with it "until the admission process is complete." I'm like, yeah, well, WHOSE FAULT IS THAT!?!?!?!? Accept me or don't already! 

I read this with a Shrek accent in my head. I know this situation is frustrating, but I got a good laugh and I hope you do too.

Last week I got three rejections and all the emotional stimulation made it easier to read and write again, and now I've hit writer's block again in what has been an uneventful couple of days. My body craves more admissions results.

Omg I just found this BLOG HELLO! I can freak out with people that's so nice ;-; Anyway, hi, here's my personal update:

Waitlisted: IU Bloomington (Fiction)

Rejected: Michigan in Ann Arbor (Fiction)

Waiting: Purdue, Southern Illinois, Notre Dame (Fiction)

Edited by Salaam O

12 minutes ago, Salaam O said:

Omg I just found this BLOG HELLO! I can freak out with people that's so nice ;-; Anyway, hi, here's my personal update:

Really hoping we hear from Notre Dame soon!

32 minutes ago, kikis_delivery said:

have there been any more calls for nyu fiction or do we think they were all that one day last week???

NYU is a very popular program so if they were calling fiction writers I'm sure someone on Draft would have been accepted and posted about it - beyond the fellowship recipients last week. Doesn't mean it's not very soon though. Last year they seem to have called accepted students on Wed 2/26.

On 2/21/2021 at 3:10 PM, JPReinhold said:

I got some advice from an English PhD to hold onto the offers until April 15 because people may change funding. I'd much rather decline all offers other than my front-runner as my options change to make the process easier / less-anxiety filled for other applicants and the programs, but it appears we shouldn't do that this cycle. A lot of apprehension this year and I think that will lead to a mass shuffle on April 15.

I've been mulling your friend's viewpoint and while we need to take care of ourselves, I think we also have to consider our impact on our larger community as well.

While the OSU debacle certainly will instill some nervousness (and is clearly a huge fuck-up on their part), I think the difference is that those are technically considered informal offers w/out the contract. Once the contract is out--typically later and by email--any school part of the CSG (basically all of them) must abide by it until the April 15th deadline.

So, if you are waiting on another school, by all means, hold on to your other choice(s), but I think if any of us are fortunate enough to be accepted into multiple programs, we should respect them and do our peers a solid by helping them get their own show on the road as soon as we know that school's not going to be the one.

All in this together.

On 2/22/2021 at 4:11 PM, dumblond said:

Has anyone heard from Oregon State? I heard of one poetry waitlist a couple of days ago but nothing else. 

I've been WLed by Oregon State for poetry, and I know of at least one CNF WL as well. I think first rounds of acceptances have gone out to at least poetry and cnf, though I can't speak to fiction. 

Just now, aheather said:

I've been WLed by Oregon State for poetry, and I know of at least one CNF WL as well. I think first rounds of acceptances have gone out to at least poetry and cnf, though I can't speak to fiction. 

I actually heard from them last night that I'm on the CNF waitlist! Fingers crossed for both of us : ) 

57 minutes ago, DeepSyntax said:

NYU is a very popular program so if they were calling fiction writers I'm sure someone on Draft would have been accepted and posted about it - beyond the fellowship recipients last week. Doesn't mean it's not very soon though. Last year they seem to have called accepted students on Wed 2/26.

that's very reassuring, thank you! sending good luck to everyone waiting for their phone to ring!

Longtime lurker first time poster...

Oodles of gratitude to this crew for the awesome guidance & community y'all have built through this process!

Wanted to share a waitlist notification for Florida Atlantic U (poetry), received earlier today via email. Short but nice note, mentioned they should be following up "within the month" which seemed like oddly specific guidance... should I temper expectations or is that a strong "likely" signal!?

So far this cycle have been admitted to Nevada - Reno and Northern Arizona (both for poetry); funding still tbd for both.

Would be truly thrilled with any above programs, funding permitting.

Other schools this cycle: rejected from OSU, UMass Amherst, Vandy, UWisconsin so far.

A few more in the pipeline (UNLV, JHU, Eastern Washington, Cleveland State/NEOMFA...)

Hoping it's good news all 'round on this thread as we continue through the gauntlet!

58 minutes ago, Graceful Entropy said:

I've been mulling your friend's viewpoint and while we need to take care of ourselves, I think we also have to consider our impact on our larger community as well.

While the OSU debacle certainly will instill some nervousness (and is clearly a huge fuck-up on their part), I think the difference is that those are technically considered informal offers w/out the contract. Once the contract is out--typically later and by email--any school part of the CSG (basically all of them) must abide by it until the April 15th deadline.

So, if you are waiting on another school, by all means, hold on to your other choice(s), but I think if any of us are fortunate enough to be accepted into multiple programs, we should respect them and do our peers a solid by helping them get their own show on the road as soon as we know that school's not going to be the one.

All in this together.

Yes - I don’t plan on holding on to 5 acceptances or something wild. I plan on holding my top 2 or 3 and while I wait for the dust to settle. I have real reasons and interest in the programs I’m holding onto - not just for funsies. I think there’s a good balance to be had here between strategy and courtesy.

Hello Everyone! Has anyone else noticed an entry in the New & Prospective Student Center for their portal for the University of Michigan? Specifically for the "View Financial Aid Documents Status" and "View Financial Aid Award Notices?" I was looking, and I saw there was an entry for Aid Year 2022. I can't see the entry, and I also haven't received a decision. I'm not sure if this is a positive sign, or I'm just looking too much into this.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 3.33.49 PM.png

Edited by SunFlower_

3 hours ago, Salaam O said:

Hiiiii! I'm waiting on Notre Dame, too (it's the only program I applied to)! I think literally the best thing ever, ever, ever would be to get in, and then to get in with friends from here! 

Also, a major, 8 bjillion times over, congratulations to all who have been waitlisted, accepted, rejected, and are still waiting. When I was praying today, I was thinking about how, no matter what, I'm still a writer. No matter, what, I am still going to make it. No matter what, I, and all of us, are going to be okay, and if we get rejected, we're going to double down on our craft, and keep writing, keep growing, keep learning, and keep loving, and we're all going to make it, whatever that ends up looking like overall.

I believe in you guys, and I believe in myself! All of us are "success stories" because we have the courage to put our hearts on paper in the first place. In other words, no matter the outcomes, let's ROCK this, y'all!!!!! ❤️