MSW.K

For those that have been accepted to Columbia, I was hoping some of you could reply to this post and share why you are drawn to their program? Out of all the forums I've been on and people I've talked to, including my own research, Columbia always comes up as the most exciting for people to hear back from (at least from what I've seen..). Is it the excitement of being in New York? The program itself? The name of Columbia? I have heard so many mixed reviews about the school, particularly in regards to their teaching approach their mistreatment of some professors and students, so I'm still wondering why many new students are eager to go through their program. Of course you can always direct message me if you don't want to share your reasons on a public post! 

57 minutes ago, Msw246 said:

I am still impatiently waiting a decision. I received an email from SDSU Grad Admissions last week updating  us that decisions will be sent out from now through the end of April. 

I'm with you impatiently waiting. I received the same email. Some people heard back about two weeks ago, but I haven't seen too many others reporting on their decisions since then. I'm trying not to get too caught up in that, but I wonder how they are working through applications. Which program did you apply to?

In another thread folks mentioned that you can check your application status. I will put the link. https://sunspot.sdsu.edu/pls/webapp/web_menu.login

34 minutes ago, Y0gi said:

I'm with you impatiently waiting. I received the same email. Some people heard back about two weeks ago, but I haven't seen too many others reporting on their decisions since then. I'm trying not to get too caught up in that, but I wonder how they are working through applications. Which program did you apply to?

In another thread folks mentioned that you can check your application status. I will put the link. https://sunspot.sdsu.edu/pls/webapp/web_menu.login

It is definitely frustrating waiting while others hear back. I have been accepted to UCLA and SJSU and each of those programs decision deadlines are fast approaching. I sent an email immediately after receiving that email last week voicing my concerns. The admissions officers Kellie Scott quickly responded saying I should hear before April 15th. So I hope we will hear back any day now. 

Thank you, I check that link nearly everyday now. 

24 minutes ago, Msw246 said:

It is definitely frustrating waiting while others hear back. I have been accepted to UCLA and SJSU and each of those programs decision deadlines are fast approaching. I sent an email immediately after receiving that email last week voicing my concerns. The admissions officers Kellie Scott quickly responded saying I should hear before April 15th. So I hope we will hear back any day now. 

Thank you, I check that link nearly everyday now. 

Congratulations on your acceptances!! April 15th definitely sounds better than the end of the month.

The admission process seems chaotic with the different response times from each school. People are making decisions without hearing back from programs or receiving their financial aid packages and accepting offers they may have to recend when they hear back from other schools. It's all very stress inducing and anxiety provoking. Hopefully it will be over soon.

And you're welcome!

2 minutes ago, Y0gi said:

Congratulations on your acceptances!! April 15th definitely sounds better than the end of the month.

The admission process seems chaotic with the different response times from each school. People are making decisions without hearing back from programs or receiving their financial aid packages and accepting offers they may have to recend when they hear back from other schools. It's all very stress inducing and anxiety provoking. Hopefully it will be over soon.

And you're welcome!

Thank you! It is so chaotic. I actually just withdrew my application to USC because they had me jumping through hoops that I finally had enough. I sent them an email illustrating where they can improve and how awful and ambiguous they made the application process. They were very apologetic, but you would think they would have an infrastructure better equipped to handle applications. I am sure the same can be said for so many programs. SDSU is my number 1 choice so I really hope to hear back soon. 

4 hours ago, Ward said:

Hello hello,

I committed to NYU a couple of weeks back (although I'm still waiting on Columbia, even tho recent posts above make me think that they're response wouldn't be worth it in the least bit). Anything specific you were hoping someone who committed would have insight on?

I just committed to NYU yesterday! I decided to go with NYU over Columbia. I was wondering whether you submitted your field placement form for NYU yet? I haven't been able to because it says the website is down for maintenance? 

23 hours ago, lil_lil said:

I'm in the same boat. I applied Dec 10. I reached out a few weeks ago, and they said I should expect to hear back within 2 weeks, which came and went. Frustrating, as I've asked for multiple extensions from other programs. 

I ended up committing to NYU for this very reason. All the forum's I've seen online have essentially implied that Columbia is always behind on their decisions, pretty much relying on their Ivy status to keep their applicant pool maintained. I've called multiple times, asked for extensions and have been told only 2 more weeks at least twice. I got tired of it. 

40 minutes ago, xxsalmon said:

I ended up committing to NYU for this very reason. All the forum's I've seen online have essentially implied that Columbia is always behind on their decisions, pretty much relying on their Ivy status to keep their applicant pool maintained. I've called multiple times, asked for extensions and have been told only 2 more weeks at least twice. I got tired of it. 

I hear that. This experience is one of a few factors that make me wary of CSSW. I'm deciding between NYU and Hunter now - the only thing that would make me seriously consider Columbia at this point if I'm accepted is a great financial aid package, but I'm not too optimistic about that. That said, it looks like I'll have to make a deposit elsewhere before I hear either way. Mostly I just want the closure of having all my decisions.

On 3/28/2021 at 8:49 AM, MSWlk said:

Anyone else heard from Portland State yet? I haven’t seen anyone post about it in a while.

I got my acceptance letter today in my email for the 2yr program.

I ’m having trouble choosing actually between my schools. 

Sorry this is my first time posting, I hope I did it right. 

2 hours ago, Hannah72 said:

Has anyone else not heard about financial aid from UW? Does that mean I didn't get any?

Hey! Some others and I were saying over in the UW MSW thread that we haven't heard anything either. It's frustrating!

30 minutes ago, sbba21 said:

Hey! Some others and I were saying over in the UW MSW thread that we haven't heard anything either. It's frustrating!

there's a UW MSW thread? what's the link if you dont mind

17 hours ago, MSW_2021 said:

I just committed to NYU yesterday! I decided to go with NYU over Columbia. I was wondering whether you submitted your field placement form for NYU yet? I haven't been able to because it says the website is down for maintenance? 

I haven't been able to submit this either, grrr. 

I found out March 29th that I've been waitlisted from my dream school, UIC. They won't let me know until mid August if I am admitted and classes start August 22nd. The tentative deadlines for me to accept from my 2 other schools are in mid April and the beginning of May so I haven't figured out yet if I can wait for UIC or not. 

13 hours ago, HeyMSW said:

I got two emails asking for more documents in the last month. 

Interesting for UW. What documents did they need, if you don't mind sharing? Most folks have only gotten info from FinAid saying that the intent was to distribute it by the end of March. 

On 3/31/2021 at 2:05 PM, aoikal said:

For those that have been accepted to Columbia, I was hoping some of you could reply to this post and share why you are drawn to their program? Out of all the forums I've been on and people I've talked to, including my own research, Columbia always comes up as the most exciting for people to hear back from (at least from what I've seen..). Is it the excitement of being in New York? The program itself? The name of Columbia? I have heard so many mixed reviews about the school, particularly in regards to their teaching approach their mistreatment of some professors and students, so I'm still wondering why many new students are eager to go through their program. Of course you can always direct message me if you don't want to share your reasons on a public post! 

Columbia is my first choice and I'm still waiting anxiously. For me, Columbia is exciting because it's in NYC, it's ranked #3 for the best MSW programs in the country, it's a bigger program with so much access to amazing field/research opportunities (800+ agencies), highest licensure passing rate in NY, 20,000 alumni, and I won't lie, the prestigious Ivy League title is of course attractive. Crossing my fingers. 

Hey guys! Just wanted to let everyone know that I was accepted to Columbia Tuesday evening. I applied before the priority deadline, so I am kind of peeved at waiting four months to hear back. I already committed to a different school, so unless they send me a great financial package, I'm going to decline their acceptance. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

Hi! 

I applied to Columbia's MSW Program and a month ago I was waitlisted! Anyone else still waiting for a response? 

They said, early April they'll have a final decision, I really wan to attend that MSW Program, I'm just crossing my fingers at this point haha