MSW.K

3 hours ago, sweetater said:

Anyone torn on NYU vs Columbia? I'm looking for a clinical focus, but have heard you can find that at either school via specialization. Struggling with what the best decision would be as I am unable to visit beforehand. I'm also planning on moving back to California a couple years after I graduate, and don't know which school would make this process easier 

Hi! Neither school would really matter to the BBS. They’re both out-of-state schools and would require a few extra CEUs as part the LCSW application process. Hours from grad school do not count toward licensure. CA only has the LCSW. No masters level exam or licensure. Both NYU and Columbia are respected/known universities in CA. 

Here is the out-of-state application to give you an idea of the process: https://www.bbs.ca.gov/pdf/forms/lpc/lpc_app_oos_01012016.pdf

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

2 hours ago, Naya said:

I applied to BU’s MSW/MPH, BC’s MSW, WUSTL MPH, UMich’s MSW/MPH, and Berkeley’s MSW/MPH. Everyone accepted me. The only school that rejected me was Berkeley’s MPH program. I am strongly considering Berkeley’s MSW program because of in-state tuition (with or without any aid it will be the most affordable school for me). I would love to go to Michigan since I really love their programs but the out of state cost is the only thing holding me back. But yes, if I go to Berkeley, I’ll definitely apply again. I just hope the GRE doesn’t come back haha What about you?

So far I’ve gotten into dual msw/mph programs at Columbia, Upenn, Temple, UT Austin/Health science Center. Got into Boston u msw but haven’t heard from Mph yet. Also waiting to hear back from UCLA. So far only haven’t gotten into Berkeley mph :( I’m in the same boat as you Im from CA too. Columbia was my top choice but they’re way too expensive. I didn’t take the GRE either!! Maybe that affected our app... really hope it doesn’t come back either lol

34 minutes ago, njenni said:

Awesome, thank you!  Also, huge congrats on your acceptance! ?

Hello again! Here is what the Admin Officer emailed me "

"Congratulations on your admission!

We will be sending our more information from the department soon but the national decision date is April 15." 

31 minutes ago, DSWHopeful2021 said:

Hi! Neither school would really matter to the BBS. They’re both out-of-state schools and would require a few extra CEUs as part the LCSW application process. Hours from grad school do not count toward licensure. CA only has the LCSW. No masters level exam or licensure. Both NYU and Columbia are respected/known universities in CA. 

Here is the out-of-state application to give you an idea of the process: https://www.bbs.ca.gov/pdf/forms/lpc/lpc_app_oos_01012016.pdf

Thank you so much for providing this resource and for your advice! Makes the process a lot less confusing

2 hours ago, annadreams said:

My understanding is that NYU is more clinically focused of the two, but of course both MSW degrees are considered equivalent and can be used for the same paths of licensure and yes, you can absolutely make a more clinical path at Columbia. I would not put a ton of stock in "reputation" in your decision, but for what it's worth they both have a very good reputation within New York City. 

I've been offered admission to NYU and was recently talking with a current second year student hoping to work in private practice eventually - she was originally making the same decision that you are now, NYU vs. Columbia. Part of what helped her make the decision was that NYU seemed more psychodynamically oriented while Columbia's program seemed more into CBT, or more evidence-based theories of change, in her point of view. This is one person's impression, but it also has been echoed in conversations with other people I've talked to in the field. Columbia more macro, more public health oriented; NYU more clinical, perhaps more social justice oriented?

You're going to get a very good training at either school; you're going to get similar field work experiences, which may be fairly luck of the draw (especially for first year) in either school; both schools have good relationships with good partners in the field; and you're going to graduate with the same MSW. There are happy students and less than happy students in both programs. Both are large universities with a lot of bureaucracy to navigate but also a lot of resources.

Look at the electives offered, look at the professors you would want to work with, look at the overall support or advising that seems available within the university, talk to current students, talk to recent alums, and seriously weigh the financial implications of your offers. Try and get a sense of the classroom experience, and how students have an easy or hard time getting what they need. How does this all align with your desires? Those are the things I'd be looking at to compare more than anything else. 

Then, the California relocation aspect - neither program has any advantage in this arena, I wouldn't think?? This is straying away from the grad school discussion a bit but I'll give you a bit of context, from my impressions: If you were to be awarded your LMSW license in New York State, and then you were trying to transfer that over to the state of California, it doesn't matter what school you went to for getting that Masters of Social Work degree (both schools are CSWE accredited). You'll have to figure out how the hours you accrued as a student in NY carry over to the license you're testing for in CA, and/or how any supervised hours post-degree in the state of NY under supervision would then get counted when transferring it all to CA. You may need to do more hours in California unlicensed than you would if you were getting licensed in NY with those hours/you may or may not need to kind of "reset the clock" when you move. Also, you may end up wanting to test for an MFT in California instead of an LCSW, and you'd then need to figure out how those rules fit with what you've completed in New York. I doubt that either school will have any kind of top secret tips on how to navigate the fine print of all of this. Their priority in any career preparedness stuff will be much more focused on navigating your field placements and the AWSB exam itself, not in helping you map out this process 2 years post-grad. I think you're going to have to be a bit of a squeaky wheel to find your answers in this endeavor regardless of the school you go to when the time comes. But there is a way, and there will surely be faculty and alumni of either school who got degrees and licenses in other states - so many people have done this! I just wouldn't include this aspect in your decision here.

I really can't thank you enough for this detailed response. I feel myself leaning more NYU, and this helped clarify so much for me. I also didn't know much about transferring from one state or another, so this is definitely something I need to research. I am waiting to hear back from UCLA to see if it would even be a decision of doing my MSW in CA vs NY, but I just found myself more drawn to the MSW focus vs the MFT. Thank you again! Would love to hear if you end up choosing NYU, and congrats on your acceptances!

28 minutes ago, aqueeroz said:

So far I’ve gotten into dual msw/mph programs at Columbia, Upenn, Temple, UT Austin/Health science Center. Got into Boston u msw but haven’t heard from Mph yet. Also waiting to hear back from UCLA. So far only haven’t gotten into Berkeley mph :( I’m in the same boat as you Im from CA too. Columbia was my top choice but they’re way too expensive. I didn’t take the GRE either!! Maybe that affected our app... really hope it doesn’t come back either lol

UCLA would be an amazing (and very cost-effective) MSW/MPH. 

39 minutes ago, aqueeroz said:

Got it! I regret not applying to UCLA. Good luck to you! You’ve gotten into really great schools, I’m sure you’ll get in! 

20 minutes ago, sweetater said:

Thank you so much for providing this resource and for your advice! Makes the process a lot less confusing

Of course! If you’re a CA resident and you plan to live in CA long term - I would definitely pick UCLA if you get in. The local networking and tuition is 100% worth it. Good luck! 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

5 hours ago, aqueeroz said:

I just got notified too :( I didn’t get in either. I’m so sorry to hear you didn’t. I was more worried about not getting into the MSW program tbh. My background is more in health education and health promotion. Where else have you gotten into? Are you gonna consider going to Berkeley in the fall and applying to the sph again?

Feeling very much the same! Was concerned that the MSW program would be a barrier to entry but it was the other way around. Nevertheless, congrats on the results of your hard work!

4 minutes ago, Alyssa. Felix said:

Has any one heard from cal state San Bernardino or cal state Chico ??
It’s amazing seeing everyone getting accepted to Msw programs !! 

I applied to CSU Fullerton, CSU Long Beach, San Jose State, and CSU Chico. So far only Fullerton has got back to me. I have my interview on the 17th.

1 minute ago, IamBritney said:

I applied to CSU Fullerton, CSU Long Beach, San Jose State, and CSU Chico. So far only Fullerton has got back to me. I have my interview on the 17th. 

I see hopefully they start sending out some update cause the suspense is getting to me! Lol that is great I’m sure you’ll do great on your interview. Best of luck !! 

Just now, Alyssa. Felix said:

I see hopefully they start sending out some update cause the suspense is getting to me! Lol that is great I’m sure you’ll do great on your interview. Best of luck !! 

Thank you! I know. I'm thinking of emailing Chico, but idk if I should. Honestly, they are my last pick. I just thought I would apply there for the heck of it.

5 minutes ago, IamBritney said:

Thank you! I know. I'm thinking of emailing Chico, but idk if I should. Honestly, they are my last pick. I just thought I would apply there for the heck of it.

Well you have plenty of options ! I’m sure you’ll get in at your top pick Msw program

5 hours ago, Msw246 said:

Hello again! Here is what the Admin Officer emailed me "

"Congratulations on your admission!

We will be sending our more information from the department soon but the national decision date is April 15." 

THANK YOU! Hopefully we hear back from the department soon! 

10 hours ago, IamBritney said:

Hello! Great news on the interview, I also applied to CSUF but have yet to hear back for an interview. When did you apply? And are you interested in calswec ? I noticed that many people who apply the stipend in their applications tend to hear back first. Good luck to you! Good things coming your way : ) 

16 minutes ago, dumplingg said:

Have any of the RPCVs here received a coverdell scholarship? 

I’m an RPCV - I’m applying to a degree that is not Coverdell-eligible... However, I have a lot of colleagues who did and were awarded the scholarship. Is there a specific question you have or program you’re looking at? Are you in the RPCV FB group? 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

Just now, DSWHopeful2021 said:

I’m an RPCV - I’m applying to a degree that is not Coverdell-eligible... However, I have a lot of colleagues who did and were awarded the scholarship. Is there a specific question you have or program you’re looking at? Are you on the RPCV FB group? 

Hey! There are a lot of RPCV FB groups, so I'm not sure which one you're referring to. I'm just wondering if anyone has received one yet. I just got my financial aid award from Columbia, and I wonder if they would tell you immediately or not. I'm assuming I haven't gotten it though. 

Dumplingg - It should definitely have been included in your award letter. No harm in reaching out to their coordinator. 

For FB groups; sorry I should have been more specific- there is one called “RPCVs” and its public with about 9K members.

If you were one of the RPCVs who was evacuated due to Covid, the RPCV evacuation support group is pretty active and has a lot of folks applying to grad programs - it’s private and has about 10K members. 

Edited by DSWHopeful2021

19 hours ago, Msw246 said:

Thank you! I did not hear or receive anything from UCLA until I got my email telling me to check my portal. Awesome, thank you for that insight. My portal never changed. That has actually been a common theme for each of my portals for all the schools that I applied. 

Omg congratulations!!! I got my BA from UCLA. I had so much fun during undergrad and a couple of my friends went into the MSW program straight after getting their BA. They loved the program!!! I didn’t apply bc I wanted to experience the east coast! 

19 hours ago, leilanib said:

CONGRATS TO YOU! Did you attend UCLA for your undergrad? I'm curious as to how you can check the portal. I haven't had any luck on accessing it. I've been assuming that I will receive a decision via email.

I attended UCLA during undergrad you can ask me questions!