MSW.K

Hi all! Hope everyone is having a relaxing Sunday amidst these last couple nerve-wracking weeks of hearing decisions back! 

I’m new to gradcafe and someone messaged me last night asking for an updated discord link, however I cannot find how to get back to the message inbox on my account lol. I’ll just post it here: https://discord.gg/rhj67ZaK

hope whoever messaged sees this! Anyone else is welcome to join. 

good luck everybody

20 hours ago, anxiouslywaiting2021 said:

Is anyone else having to put down deposits before hearing from all your schools? Most schools I've been accepted to want to know my decision by mid-march but some schools I most likely won't here from until April. I don't want to lose my spot at schools I did get accepted to in case I don't get into the others or if they don't financially work for me. 

Yes, another vote to definitely ask the programs for extensions! I requested and got an extension to decide from USC, too. It's of course in the schools' interest to get people committed as early as they can, but for the most part they will try to work with you.

I'm in the same situation, and I'm somewhat prepared to put down deposits in a while but trying to avoid it; one school I applied to has flat out stated that we're not hearing anything until mid April. 

It's confusing to me how beholden MSW programs are to the Council of Graduate Schools "April 15 Resolution." But in theory, I don't think they can require you to enroll with a deadline prior to April 15 if there's "financial support" attached to your offer of admission. (It's unclear to me if schools of social work within universities are considered professional schools with their own rules or not...)

It's definitely worth asking before putting down money that you can't get back!

Edited by annadreams

Has anyone who interviewed with Penn also been waiting 2 weeks for a response? Today marks 14 days and I haven't heard from anyone or gotten a status update. Maybe things are just busy with COVID and all but wanted to see if anyone else was in the same boat 

Hi all! Haven't been on this thread for a sec, though I left it open on my computer for months for occasional stalking haha.

Anyone else who applied to Chicago by 1/15 waiting this week? Has anyone heard anything / or have an idea of when they'll hear back? 

Feeling super anxious! I swear last month some people had heard back by this time already. Aaah. 

37 minutes ago, genericmswname said:

Hi all! Haven't been on this thread for a sec, though I left it open on my computer for months for occasional stalking haha.

Anyone else who applied to Chicago by 1/15 waiting this week? Has anyone heard anything / or have an idea of when they'll hear back? 

Feeling super anxious! I swear last month some people had heard back by this time already. Aaah. 

I also applied by 1/15 and haven't heard anything yet. Really hoping we get word this week! 

1 hour ago, Mswsam said:

Has anyone successfully negotiated more money from any school yet? 

Yes! I emailed admissions to check what the appeal process was and they sent me a link to appeal.  I wrote up a paragraph and attached an offer letter from a school that offered more money as leverage. They got back to me in a couple days with more scholarship money. Good luck!

21 hours ago, Zucchinibread said:

Yes! I emailed admissions to check what the appeal process was and they sent me a link to appeal.  I wrote up a paragraph and attached an offer letter from a school that offered more money as leverage. They got back to me in a couple days with more scholarship money. Good luck!

This is great advice! Can I ask which schools? 

4 hours ago, Mswsam said:

This is great advice! Can I ask which schools? 

I appealed to the University of Denver and I leveraged the appeal with a better offer from Simmons in Boston. I imagine universities have different appeal processes, but it worked well in my situation!

thank you to all of you for your extremely helpful insight and congrats on your acceptances! i'm currently recovering from the pain of a rejection and am ~anxiously~ waiting to hear back from ucla. please tell me i'm not the only one who hasn't heard from them yet? i'm increasingly worried with each passing day that this means i'm not getting in :( 

15 minutes ago, pumpkin pie said:

thank you to all of you for your extremely helpful insight and congrats on your acceptances! i'm currently recovering from the pain of a rejection and am ~anxiously~ waiting to hear back from ucla. please tell me i'm not the only one who hasn't heard from them yet? i'm increasingly worried with each passing day that this means i'm not getting in :(

Keep your head up. I have yet to hear back from 3 schools still. As I have learned Schools are unpredictable when it comes to releasing admissions decisions. No reason to get down on yourself. You got this! 

33 minutes ago, pumpkin pie said:

I haven't heard from UCLA yet either! I am thinking the bulk of their decisions are coming out this week and next, since they said mid-march. Many people were accepted for previous years at a date later than where we are now, so don't take no response as a bad sign! Definitely feeling you on the anxiety, I haven't been accepted into any schools yet. Feel free to dm me if you want to talk through some anxieties or rant about anything, hang in there(: 

1 hour ago, pumpkin pie said:

Waiting on UCLA too and boy, do I feel your anxiety!!! It looks like their decisions are going out in waves and since they said they'd still be sharing decisions in mid-March, still think there's some time before assuming the worst. Hope we hear back soon though! It's agonizing!! 

1 hour ago, fiofarrell17 said:

I haven't heard from UCLA yet either! I am thinking the bulk of their decisions are coming out this week and next, since they said mid-march. Many people were accepted for previous years at a date later than where we are now, so don't take no response as a bad sign! Definitely feeling you on the anxiety, I haven't been accepted into any schools yet. Feel free to dm me if you want to talk through some anxieties or rant about anything, hang in there(: 

Same! Also, where else did you apply?

2 hours ago, pumpkin pie said:

i am also waiting to hear from ucla (and i did the 12/15 deadline, which makes me more worried). i'm still hoping for the best though! it's comforting to see that there's still so many people who haven't heard back. best of luck!

7 hours ago, mpen said:

Hey y’all, just wanted to come on here to say that I got into UCLA on Friday (3/5) and got into Columbia today as well.  

applied on 12/1 for both schools. Hope you all hear back soon! 

Hi! Congrats! If you’re comfortable sharing, did you apply for a fellowship? I applied to UCLA on 11/23 and haven’t heard anything, and thought they were maybe alerting fellowships first. I heard from Columbia on 1/29 so the wait between the 2 programs has been tough! Congrats again!

7 hours ago, mpen said:

Hey y’all, just wanted to come on here to say that I got into UCLA on Friday (3/5) and got into Columbia today as well.  

applied on 12/1 for both schools. Hope you all hear back soon! 

Congrats! That's awesome. Which Columbia program did you apply for (i.e., traditional, online..)?

I heard back from Columbia yesterday (applied 12/1) and was waitlisted. This is a shot in the dark, but does anyone know the chances of getting off the waitlist? I'm trying to process it more like a rejection so I don't get my hopes up, but I have no idea what to expect from them.

16 hours ago, Msw246 said:

Keep your head up. I have yet to hear back from 3 schools still. As I have learned Schools are unpredictable when it comes to releasing admissions decisions. No reason to get down on yourself. You got this! 

you're so right. thank you for the reassurance! you got this too!

16 hours ago, fiofarrell17 said:

wow that's very good to know! thanks for sharing and for the support(: 

15 hours ago, nlr said:

Waiting on UCLA too and boy, do I feel your anxiety!!! It looks like their decisions are going out in waves and since they said they'd still be sharing decisions in mid-March, still think there's some time before assuming the worst. Hope we hear back soon though! It's agonizing!! 

so much anxiety!! i didn't really know about schools releasing decisions in waves so i thought if i hadn't heard back yet but other people had, it might be time to catastrophize. also i got into a school (that i don't really want to go to) that wants me to accept my place by tomorrow so that just adds some fun pressure. thanks for the insight! 

14 hours ago, aaj12 said:

i am also waiting to hear from ucla (and i did the 12/15 deadline, which makes me more worried). i'm still hoping for the best though! it's comforting to see that there's still so many people who haven't heard back. best of luck!

me too! glad to hear you're staying positive! best of luck to you too!!

15 hours ago, MSW.K said:

Same! Also, where else did you apply?

I applied to SDSU, SFSU, and Portland State! I'm in the middle of an application for Boise state as well since they extended their deadline and offer in state tuition for my state!(: