Anyone else (who is currently in school) having a really hard time focusing on classes as you wait for decisions? I know that if I don't get in my performance in my final term is really important, but there's so much anxiety surrounding waiting, espc not knowing exactly when some schools are going to release their decisions 

18 minutes ago, neuroling said:

Anyone else (who is currently in school) having a really hard time focusing on classes as you wait for decisions? I know that if I don't get in my performance in my final term is really important, but there's so much anxiety surrounding waiting, espc not knowing exactly when some schools are going to release their decisions 

Oh ya I am a total basket case... I cry all the time and it's basically all I think about... It's a really hard time for everyone and I think waiting is definitely the worst part because there is just so much unknown. especially with everything else going on with covid... but all we can do is our best until we know whats going on! Goodluck.

1 hour ago, neuroling said:

Definitely! I had 6 courses last semester and only 5 this semester, but nonetheless I've definitely been experiencing some burnout lately. I'm also doing an Honours thesis, which is very self-directed and at times I find it hard to be disciplined. I have a feeling though once we do start hearing things, the time will go by so quickly! Especially if you're offered admission because you only have a few weeks to make a decision on an offer. Already it's February 19th, which means that in just 3 days MMI interview offers from McMaster could start being sent out! And then by this time next month it's likely that McGill will have sent some offers out (since they typically do it around mid-March) and maybe UAlberta as well (they've done it March 9th and end of March the last 2 years). 

But anywho, you're definitely not alone in your struggles or anxiety waiting for results! I'm happy to have this forum to meet and discuss this process with others in the same situation. If anyone ever wants to send me a DM, I'd love to get to know some of you! :) 

8 hours ago, coco_SLP said:

Definitely! I had 6 courses last semester and only 5 this semester, but nonetheless I've definitely been experiencing some burnout lately. I'm also doing an Honours thesis, which is very self-directed and at times I find it hard to be disciplined. I have a feeling though once we do start hearing things, the time will go by so quickly! Especially if you're offered admission because you only have a few weeks to make a decision on an offer. Already it's February 19th, which means that in just 3 days MMI interview offers from McMaster could start being sent out! And then by this time next month it's likely that McGill will have sent some offers out (since they typically do it around mid-March) and maybe UAlberta as well (they've done it March 9th and end of March the last 2 years). 

But anywho, you're definitely not alone in your struggles or anxiety waiting for results! I'm happy to have this forum to meet and discuss this process with others in the same situation. If anyone ever wants to send me a DM, I'd love to get to know some of you! :) 

I'm also at 5 down from 6 last term, so I hear you on the burnout in a big way haha. I'm always up to make friends and will send you a DM :)

8 minutes ago, heynowheynow said:

I was looking at some of your signatures, and noticed that not many people applied to UofT; Any particular reason as to why you guys did or didn't apply because I've heard some great things about the program and am just curious!

Good question! I was planning on it, but unfortunately couldn't. I had a B and an A+ for my two 0.5 credit Human Physiology prerequisites, but they told me they wouldn't count this because they are strict on their rule of all prerequisites must be a B+ or higher, so unfortunately I basically couldn't apply because my grade was just below the minimum requirement. 

On 2/16/2021 at 4:53 PM, Wuglette said:

I am sorry to hear that you aren't having a good experience at McGill! :( Are you still in the first year of their program? Anyways, I hope it gets better for you! I appreciate you giving us your feedback, cause these are the types of things we would never know without speaking to someone who is in the program.

I'm in my second year! Feel free to message me if you'd like more info regarding my concerns :)

44 minutes ago, coco_SLP said:

Good question! I was planning on it, but unfortunately couldn't. I had a B and an A+ for my two 0.5 credit Human Physiology prerequisites, but they told me they wouldn't count this because they are strict on their rule of all prerequisites must be a B+ or higher, so unfortunately I basically couldn't apply because my grade was just below the minimum requirement. 

That's the exact same reason why I didn't apply there!

1 hour ago, 2021speechie said:

That's the exact same reason why I didn't apply there!

2 hours ago, 1996slp said:

I'm in my second year! Feel free to message me if you'd like more info regarding my concerns :)

2 hours ago, coco_SLP said:

The human physiology requirement is also the reason I did not apply! I took one half course in human physiology and managed to finish with an A-, but uoft requires one full credit in physiology (2 half courses) but the university I attend requires you to take biochemistry as a prerequisite in order to take the second half course of human physiology. Unfortunately, I've always struggled with chemistry and had actually failed my two introductory chemistry courses in first and second year. It didn't make sense to me to take biochemistry and likely fail (the courses is notorious for less than half the class failing) or get an extremely bad grade, JUST to be able to apply to uoft. I didn't want to risk causing further damage to my sGPA and lessen my chances of getting into other schools. Other than that, I would've loved to apply to uoft and possibly be accepted there!!

5 hours ago, heynowheynow said:

I was looking at some of your signatures, and noticed that not many people applied to UofT; Any particular reason as to why you guys did or didn't apply because I've heard some great things about the program and am just curious!

I also had to rule it out due to that one B in physiology. Too bad, but what can you do I guess

Hey guys!

I just wanted to introduce myself. Feeling extremely relieved to see so many of us on the same boat. My story is a little different. Being a Canadian, I had to move to India for a few years. I completed my undergrad from here, the program here is called Bachelors in Audiology and Speech Language Pathology. Im in my fourth year as of now. 

I have applied to Western, UofT and McMaster for Postgrad in SLP.

Even for my prerequisites and Transcripts, I had to get everything converted via WES. My cgpa came to be 3.53, however, I’m not sure of my Subgpa or how that will be calculated. Super stressed about that!

Also, I have only recieved an email from Western regarding my application. Nothing from UofT or McMaster. Any thoughts why?

TIA

30 minutes ago, Indianslp said:

Hey guys!

I just wanted to introduce myself. Feeling extremely relieved to see so many of us on the same boat. My story is a little different. Being a Canadian, I had to move to India for a few years. I completed my undergrad from here, the program here is called Bachelors in Audiology and Speech Language Pathology. Im in my fourth year as of now. 

Even for my prerequisites and Transcripts, I had to get everything converted via WES. My cgpa came to be 3.53, however, I’m not sure of my Subgpa or how that will be calculated. Super stressed about that!

Also, I have only recieved an email from Western regarding my application. Nothing from UofT or McMaster. Any thoughts why?

TIA

Hey! I cant comment on UofT but I did recieve something from McMaster. Did you check your spam? 

1 hour ago, Indianslp said:

Hey guys!

TIA

Hi! It's lovely to "meet" you. I've received something from McMaster (several weeks ago) that let me create a student account. 

40 minutes ago, neuroling said:

Hey! I cant comment on UofT but I did recieve something from McMaster. Did you check your spam? 

As neuroling says, make sure you check your spam! On their website they say to ensure that sgswbsv@mcmaster.ca is in your safe sender list, because it's an odd email name and might go to spam or junk or something like that. I'd check those folders and make sure that you save this email address as a safe sender. 

However, if you don't find anything from them in those emails I would contact them! MMI offers start going out soon (Feb 22nd - March 2nd IIRC) so you'd want to make sure there aren't any issues soon. If you've received something from Western then I'd assume most things should be okay for McMaster as well since it's all via ORPAS, but nonetheless you might want to check with the school themselves! :) 

Edited by coco_SLP
clarifying information

7 hours ago, Indianslp said:

Hey guys!

TIA

I applied last year at UofT and received the rejection on April 1 (and two more emails confirming the rejection, as if one wasn't enough ?), nothing before that. But yes, you should have received an email to activate your McMaster account in mid-January.

On 2/13/2021 at 8:50 PM, NDspeechie said:

I'd love to hear everyones stats :) I'm a little antsy with this wait!

Just thought I'd chime in with my stats as well! I got my Bachelor of Arts from McGill with a double major in international development studies and Hispanic studies (Spanish language focus). Definitely not the "usual background" for someone going into S-LP, but here we are. I graduated with a 3.67 CGPA. Not sure what my SGPA is, because I only applied to McGill. I was going to apply to other schools as well but couldn't get all the pre-reqs done in time. If I don't get accepted to McGill, I'll probably apply to a few other schools next year. 

I have been working for an aphasia organization for the past few months leading a (virtual) workshop every week and assisting with others as well. I currently work as an ESL teacher with adults, but have also worked at an elementary school teaching English in Spain (I lived there for a little over a year). I have lots and lots of tutoring experience with kids and experience teaching English as a second language (which I'm mainly leaning on) in Canada and abroad. 

You guys all seem extremely qualified with very high GPAs. Best of luck to everyone. :) 

10 hours ago, Indianslp said:

I just checked my email thoroughly and found it. I don’t know how I missed it! It is dated back to December 16 that too. Thank you so much everyone! 

As a sidenote - You should be able to find your subGPA on ORPAS (https://www.ouac.on.ca/apply/orpas/en_CA/user/login) under 'document tracking'. Good luck!

54 minutes ago, Speecheewannabee said:

Has anyone heard from McMaster about MMI interviews? Last year, they starting sending out MMI acceptances on February 19th. 

Their website says they'll be sending them out between February 22nd and March 2nd. So, starting tomorrow!

Source (click on 'Important Dates') -> https://healthsci.mcmaster.ca/srs-slp/education/future-students/admission

Edited by coco_SLP
to add detail

I think this has already been discussed but I just don't have the energy to find it again - I just caught an error in my GPA calculation on ORPAS. How long has it taken them to update errors in calculations for others? My fault for not noticing it sooner, but I'm a little nervous with Mac interview offers being sent out as soon as tomorrow

Edited by neuroling