Hey! I'm just curious, do any of you have any prerequisites in progress? I do and I've been worried that it might affect my chances of getting in, but I'm hoping it won't! Is anyone else in the same boat, and if so, how many in progress courses do you have?

3 minutes ago, coco_SLP said:

Hey! I'm just curious, do any of you have any prerequisites in progress? I do and I've been worried that it might affect my chances of getting in, but I'm hoping it won't! Is anyone else in the same boat, and if so, how many in progress courses do you have?

I'm currently completing Psych 258 (my last and final one ?) but have completed the rest (including the Indigenous MOOC). 

10 hours ago, coco_SLP said:

I am currently taking the Child Development prerequisite for UofT and Western. Hopefully they don't penalize us for having a prerequisite in progress. Every school requires so many different prerequisites that I found it pretty much impossible to get all of them done before 4th year!

11 hours ago, SpeechieWannaB said:

I'm currently completing Psych 258 (my last and final one ?) but have completed the rest (including the Indigenous MOOC). 

47 minutes ago, Wuglette said:

I am currently taking the Child Development prerequisite for UofT and Western. Hopefully they don't penalize us for having a prerequisite in progress. Every school requires so many different prerequisites that I found it pretty much impossible to get all of them done before 4th year!

Thank you for your responses! This is a bit more reassuring. Unfortunately for me, I have two in progress for Western and UAlberta (one for neuropsychology and one for statistics) so I'm worried that this might affect my chances since it's more than one. However, I have taken neurolinguistics courses and a different stats course (just one that didn't qualify for these schools, even though it covers a lot of similar stuff) so maybe if they look at my transcript they'll be able to see I've done okay in similar classes? I can only hope! 

My other worry is that some of my Fall 2020 grades weren't available when ORPAS and McGill required me to fill out the prerequisite charts, so sadly those charts look like there are some in progress and I can't change it even though they're done now, but hopefully when they look at the transcript they can see that. 

But thanks for your responses! If anyone else wants to share if they have any in progress as well please feel free to and we can maybe reassure each other, haha :) 

Also, I just noticed my UA application says "Under Review" now, and a few days ago it said "pre-screening"! Has anyone else's changed? 

From the 2020 thread this doesn't seem to indicate anything in particular (other than it's getting closer to when they'll send out offers) as some people were accepted last year with it still in "pre-screening",, but nonetheless I thought I'd provide an update that mine changed!

1 minute ago, coco_SLP said:

Also, I just noticed my UA application says "Under Review" now, and a few days ago it said "pre-screening"! Has anyone else's changed? 

From the 2020 thread this doesn't seem to indicate anything in particular (other than it's getting closer to when they'll send out offers) as some people were accepted last year with it still in "pre-screening",, but nonetheless I thought I'd provide an update that mine changed!

That's so exciting!! Mine is still in prescreening!!

1 hour ago, coco_SLP said:

Mine says under review as well!

2 hours ago, coco_SLP said:

Mine changed too!

5 hours ago, coco_SLP said:

This makes me hopeful that maybe we will hear this week, but also trying to not get my hopes up ? I swear this is the entire application process.. hopeful but not too hopeful

5 hours ago, coco_SLP said:

Mine is under review as well! ?

36 minutes ago, SLPPPPwannabe said:

This makes me hopeful that maybe we will hear this week, but also trying to not get my hopes up ? I swear this is the entire application process.. hopeful but not too hopeful

Haha, hopeful but not too hopeful is a good way to put it! I keep struggling with getting excited about the prospect of moving somewhere new, a new program, career, people, etc. but then I have to keep reminding myself to stay grounded and not get too attached to any school because I might not get in...and then it would probably hurt more being rejected.

20 minutes ago, neuroling said:

Does anyone know which schools release waitlist positions vs just telling you you're waitlisted? Just curious 

I can't speak for very many schools but when I applied last year, McMaster gave an actual number position. Western wouldn't tell you your exact position but you could email them to find out which quadrant you were in on the waitlist.

19 hours ago, coco_SLP said:

7 hours ago, coco_SLP said:

For what it's worth: I also have prereqs in progress (more than one for UA actually ?) and am also now "Under Review" as of a few days ago. Past results from this forum suggest that some folks have been rejected specifically because of prereqs (ahh!), or potentially get a provisional acceptance based on completing their prereqs. I'd take that second option!! Hoping it all works out anyways.

7 hours ago, Speechies22 said:

Hi everyone, hope you’re all doing well! I noticed that not a lot of you applied to UBC this cycle, I’m just curious and am wondering why... 

Hey! For me, there are a few reasons. First, it's because one of the prerequisites isn't offered at my school, and to go through the hassle of it might've been a bit difficult when I could focus on my apps for other schools. Additionally, UBC prefers students from British Columbia, and as an Ontario resident I knew that already limited my chances. Finally, while the tuition/fees are quite cheap for UBC, unfortunately the rental prices in Vancouver are crazy unaffordable (looking at figures, roughly twice what I pay in central Ottawa) so I knew for me that even if I got it, I probably wouldn't have been able to afford living there. 

I know these reasons may not apply to everyone, but just thought I would share some insight! :) 

Edited by coco_SLP

27 minutes ago, coco_SLP said:

Hey! For me, there are a few reasons. First, it's because one of the prerequisites isn't offered at my school, and to go through the hassle of it might've been a bit difficult when I could focus on my apps for other schools. Additionally, UBC prefers students from British Columbia, and as an Ontario resident I knew that already limited my chances. Finally, while the tuition/fees are quite cheap for UBC, unfortunately the rental prices in Vancouver are crazy unaffordable (looking at figures, roughly twice what I pay in central Ottawa) so I knew for me that even if I got it, I probably wouldn't have been able to afford living there. 

I know these reasons may not apply to everyone, but just thought I would share some insight! :) 

Hey, I decided against UBC for those reasons too, it was just a lot of work to do the pre req for them because it wasn't offered at my school either & when I realized that they preferred students from BC I just kind of decided it was a lot of work to apply there when I had less of a chance than I do at other schools. 

23 minutes ago, SpeechieWannaB said:

Anyone else checking their email once an hour ???  

I'm sure I have new grey hairs because of this waiting game ?

2 minutes ago, speechie297 said:

YES. Checking the portal/emails everyday... multiple times a day... 

Haha, me too! I always keep my email open in a tab, and so anytime it dings I rush to check it...although most times it's just disappointing things like spam or something about school or work ? it's crazy to think that sometime(s) over the next few weeks it will be something far more important than that!