On 3/5/2021 at 12:58 AM, neuroling said:

Does anyone know, if you get an an acceptance while you are finishing your degree, how 'conditional' is it on your performance in you classes in your final semester (assuming they aren't pre-reqs)? I intend to do well in my classes haha but curious how closely they look 

Hey! I’m not an applicant this year (just around preparing to apply for 2022) but I believe I saw on the UofT and/or Western website that you need a Mid B in your final 5 full courses (10 half courses)- so typically your last year of school you’d still need a total mid B GPA, including courses in the final semester. 

With PREREQS, from what I’ve seen UofT is very strict with the minimum B+ grade in each PREREQ. So that should still stand if someone were taking prereqs after submitting application and put IPR on application.

I would double check the website to be sure :) 

We obviously can't discuss it, but I just wanted to say good luck to everyone who is doing the McMaster MMIs today, tomorrow, and Monday! I wish you the best of luck with the process :) 

For those of you who aren't I also wish you the best of luck with all of your other applications as well, I know this is an antsy and stressful time but keep your chins up and have faith, we'll find out about applications soon enough, and hopefully some of us will be meeting one another in the fall, wherever we all end up :) 

Hey all!

I hope you all are doing well!

Good luck to all those who have their MMI's! Just be yourself and do not stress too much! 

I was wondering if there was anyone else on this thread that for whatever reason was only able to apply to one University like me? I find not having any back ups to be very nerve-racking. So whether I get in or not determines my fate for the following year. My sGPA is 3.40 which is not the greatest (I had a really bad third year due to some personal circumstances) but I do not want to lose hope! I volunteer with a clinic currently and I have worked with 3 separate SLPS and all of them have said that they think I would be a great SLP! Which I guess is very encouraging!! So I hope Western can look past my sGPA and I hopefully get accepted!

Now I know I just said that I am feeling the anxiety, but I will say that from what I have read about the others in this thread you all seem like very smart, kind and just over all great people! So try not to stress too much guys, and I wish you the best of luck in your applications and for the future!

-Pav

18 minutes ago, Terre-neuvien said:

Getting that email from Ottawa yesterday saying they had "exciting news", despite me knowing it will still be a few weeks to hear back, got my hopes up unnecessarily to only find their strategic plan for 2021 ?

Haha! The same thing happened to me! My heart literally stopped for a second when I saw the email from Ottawa that was personally addressed to me, and then I was really disappointed when I found out what it really was about! Lol! This waiting period is so painful!

1 hour ago, Loki_Odinson said:

Hey all!

Good luck to all those who have their MMI's! Just be yourself and do not stress too much! 

I was wondering if there was anyone else on this thread that for whatever reason was only able to apply to one University like me? I find not having any back ups to be very nerve-racking. So whether I get in or not determines my fate for the following year. My sGPA is 3.40 which is not the greatest (I had a really bad third year due to some personal circumstances) but I do not want to lose hope! I volunteer with a clinic currently and I have worked with 3 separate SLPS and all of them have said that they think I would be a great SLP! Which I guess is very encouraging!! So I hope Western can look past my sGPA and I hopefully get accepted!

Now I know I just said that I am feeling the anxiety, but I will say that from what I have read about the others in this thread you all seem like very smart, kind and just over all great people! So try not to stress too much guys, and I wish you the best of luck in your applications and for the future!

-Pav

Hey! I applied to more than one school but I also had a bad third year that really affected my ORPAS subGPA. You're not alone, I hear you! It's frustrating, especially when these things are beyond our control now. Clinic volunteering can be a great way to improve an application, crossing  my fingers for you. Best of luck :) 

35 minutes ago, neuroling said:

Hey! I applied to more than one school but I also had a bad third year that really affected my ORPAS subGPA. You're not alone, I hear you! It's frustrating, especially when these things are beyond our control now. Clinic volunteering can be a great way to improve an application, crossing  my fingers for you. Best of luck :) 

Hey!

You are right, there is not much we can do about it now, but it is reassuring to know there are others in the same boat. Thank you so much! I'm sending some good luck your way too, I hope you get in to your desired University! Good luck! :) 

6 hours ago, ecetoslp said:

Hey! I’m not an applicant this year (just around preparing to apply for 2022) but I believe I saw on the UofT and/or Western website that you need a Mid B in your final 5 full courses (10 half courses)- so typically your last year of school you’d still need a total mid B GPA, including courses in the final semester. 

With PREREQS, from what I’ve seen UofT is very strict with the minimum B+ grade in each PREREQ. So that should still stand if someone were taking prereqs after submitting application and put IPR on application.

I would double check the website to be sure :) 

Makes sense! I didn't apply to UofT but I did look at the Western site, which just says a minimum B average over your last 10 courses. Easy enough! I was just curious if they could consider rescinding an application if your SubGPA dropped after your last classes or something, but it sounds like a lot of schools don't even look at it until the program has already begun 

Edited by neuroling
typo

2 hours ago, Loki_Odinson said:

Hey all!

-Pav

Hey! I'm in the same boat as you, I could only apply to Western, my subGPA is 3.3 so... outlook not good but I have a plan B that'll hopefully make potential third time the charm... that gives me *slight* peace of mind (how many years am I going to do this before I give up?? and what does that mean for me when SLP feels so right for me??) ... plan B for me is the CDA program at Lambton College, the way I see it I'll get more good grades to boost my subGPA, actual clinical hours and way more experience, and a diploma I can get a job with in case everything goes sideways. 

I too am trying not to lose hope! I always hear that Western does look at the whole application and not just GPA, so having good, wide-ranging volunteer experience and letters of rec are a big part of it :) my fingers are crossed for everyone, the world needs more SLPs.

35 minutes ago, cneuz said:

Hey! I'm in the same boat as you, I could only apply to Western, my subGPA is 3.3 so... outlook not good but I have a plan B that'll hopefully make potential third time the charm... that gives me *slight* peace of mind (how many years am I going to do this before I give up?? and what does that mean for me when SLP feels so right for me??) ... plan B for me is the CDA program at Lambton College, the way I see it I'll get more good grades to boost my subGPA, actual clinical hours and way more experience, and a diploma I can get a job with in case everything goes sideways. 

I too am trying not to lose hope! I always hear that Western does look at the whole application and not just GPA, so having good, wide-ranging volunteer experience and letters of rec are a big part of it :) my fingers are crossed for everyone, the world needs more SLPs.

Just wanted to comment since I also considered doing a CDA program last year as a back-up. From what I know, any college-level courses and/or diplomas/degrees would not be counted toward your GPA for an SLP program. These programs are great for experience and for your own personal professional gain as you enter the field but any grades and academic references still have to be university level, at least for the schools I looked into. Not trying to discourage you at all, please don't take this post the wrong way, I've heard of many people taking the CDA to SLP route and being happy and successful. Just wanted to give you a heads up to make sure you know exactly what each school you hope to apply for Is looking for because I actually decided to forego the CDA program for similar reasons. 

3 minutes ago, MelissaFuture SLP said:

The layout for Albertas portal is different now! Anybody notice?

I guess this is a result of the website maintenance they did last week! Mine looks the same, but someone else (I can't remember who) mentioned theirs had changes as well! 

2 hours ago, cneuz said:

Hey that is great that you have a solid plan B! I have one too although its not as great. If things do not go as planned, I will work throughout the next year and get in more volunteering hours and try and better my GPA for the next round of applications. Its all I can really do. But with that being said, I believe life takes us where we need to be, so I tend not to worry about the outcome too much. I hope you get in, and who knows maybe our paths may cross in the future. I wish you the best of luck with your application! 

1 minute ago, SpeechieWannaB said:

Yes, I noticed also. 

All of my documents for my application appear twice now for some reason... not sure why ??‍♀️

Mine too haha! Once under 'question' and once under 'answer' right?

3 hours ago, neuroling said:

Mine too haha! Once under 'question' and once under 'answer' right?

I'm not too sure I understand what you mean when you say question and answer... 

but here's a small screenshot of what I'm seeing on my end under the documents tab. Each PDF is doubled now. (I blurred my name). 

Screenshot_20210306-200716_Samsung Internet.jpg

33 minutes ago, SpeechieWannaB said:

I'm not too sure I understand what you mean when you say question and answer... 

but here's a small screenshot of what I'm seeing on my end under the documents tab. Each PDF is doubled now. (I blurred my name). 

Screenshot_20210306-200716_Samsung Internet.jpg

Are you on mobile? On my computer, mine looks like this

Either way, I guess better to have it twice than not at all haha

Screenshot 2021-03-06 193932.png

Edited by neuroling
typo

On 3/6/2021 at 12:48 PM, Loki_Odinson said:

Hey all!

-Pav

Hi Pav! Just want to let you know that you aren't alone in applying to one school. I only applied to McGill... and seeing as it's so competitive I'm already planning on applying again next year if I don't get in. Of course, I'm hoping for the best... but also accepting that if I don't get in, I'll try again next year and apply to more schools. Best of luck to you though and it sounds like you've got some great experiences under your belt! 

On 2/9/2021 at 4:42 AM, JennSed said:

Hey!! Sorry I'm late to the party here. As someone currently in the program at U of A, you sound like you have an AMAZING shot for sure! It sounds like you have a wide range of experiences (more than many people I know in the program right now), and a great GPA. I wouldn't worry too much. There are 3 people in my cohort that have kids as well, and quite a few "mature" students :)

Hey! 

Not sure how I missed your reply until now (nervously scrolling though other people's stats and pacing the floor in anticipation?). Thanks for your kind words and for the information! Sounds like you have a pretty great cohort ❤ 

2 hours ago, SLP_hopeful123 said:

Hi Pav! Just want to let you know that you aren't alone in applying to one school. I only applied to McGill... and seeing as it's so competitive I'm already planning on applying again next year if I don't get in. Of course, I'm hoping for the best... but also accepting that if I don't get in, I'll try again next year and apply to more schools. Best of luck to you though and it sounds like you've got some great experiences under your belt! 

Hey!

The fact that this program in any given University in Canada is very competitive makes me even more nervous at times! But, like you said there is always next year! I am sure you would be a wonderful student for the program and I wish you all the best in your application!! 

When do we think McGill will start making calls? Going back to previous years, it seems like they consistently started making calls the Wednesday of the second week of March? So maybe they could start calling as of March 10th of this week? Ahh! I'm so nervous!

1 hour ago, Wuglette said:

When do we think McGill will start making calls? Going back to previous years, it seems like they consistently started making calls the Wednesday of the second week of March? So maybe they could start calling as of March 10th of this week? Ahh! I'm so nervous!

Does McGill actually call? Or send emails?