Congratulations to everyone who is starting to receive offers (either waitlist or acceptance)! Last year when I was applying we had a thread where people could post if they are declining a waitlist position or offer, so I started one for everybody to use this year! This will help people get a better idea of how waitlists are moving. I know it's still early since offers are just starting to be sent out but I hope you'll find it useful once more schools start sending out offers :)

6 minutes ago, MelissaFuture SLP said:

For the people who got accepted, would you mind sharing your cumulative average? 

Hi! My cumulative average is currently 3.89, although it might be a teeny bit below that as I was missing a couple grades from the Fall 2020 semester when we had to submit transcripts on the January 15th deadline. If you're interested in other aspects, I don't actually have any direct SLP experience, but I do have some research experience and am a teaching assistant, so not sure if that helped a bit as well.

So, to those who might not have been able to get clinical experience hours because of COVID, don't get your hopes up too much! :) 

10 minutes ago, CCSLP94 said:

Congratulations to everyone who is starting to receive offers (either waitlist or acceptance)! Last year when I was applying we had a thread where people could post if they are declining a waitlist position or offer, so I started one for everybody to use this year! This will help people get a better idea of how waitlists are moving. I know it's still early since offers are just starting to be sent out but I hope you'll find it useful once more schools start sending out offers :)

Thanks for starting this, it seems useful! Also if people want to update the "Results" section as well, I'm sure it'll be useful for future years as well. 

1 hour ago, MelissaFuture SLP said:

For the people who got accepted, would you mind sharing your cumulative average? 

Hey! My cumulative GPA is 3.84, and just to give some extra info too, I have work and volunteer experience with kids and adults with disabilities just not directly related to SLP.  I did research since my first year undergrad though and have 4 publications with a few waiting to be published which I think is what helped my application! 

24 minutes ago, SLPen said:

Hi guys! I got an acceptance e-mail from McGill today too! When they say they have to forward their recommendation for final approval, does this still mean we're in? Thank you for your time! Also, big congratulations to everyone!

It's a formality! To my understanding, you're in, congrats :)

Hi there! Current second year McGill student here. Just wanted to say congrats to those who are starting to get acceptances and hang in there to those still waiting. 

As I am graduating this year and heading back home to Ontario for my internship, my fully furnished studio apartment will be available as of May 1st, with the lease renewing in September. I know finding accommodations during COVID can be tough, especially if you aren't from Montréal. If you or anyone you know would be interested in more information, feel free to send me a PM!

Again, congrats to those accepted! Feels like yesterday that I was in your shoes as well.

Hey all,

As the verdicts to some of our applications role in, I am feeling the anxiety get to me. First I wanted to start off by congratulating those who have been waitlisted or accepted into McGill!! Now for those who have yet to hear anything such as me, my friend enlightened me with some consolations the other day that made me feel a lot better about things. She quoted some very wise words of Shakespeare to me "if it be not now, yet it will come". Although I know the quote is about death, when thinking about it out of context, if things do not go they way that you want them, do not forget that you can try again later. If you do not get in this year round, you may the next. I am sending good vibes to everyone here and I hope things go well for all of you!

Pav!

Hi guys, I still have some prerequisites I'll have to get done if I apply next year as well. Just trying to plan out my next year or so, but have had trouble finding all the prerequisite courses online. Have any of you taken prereqs online and if so, where did you take them? I'm currently taking two from Athabasca, but they don't have all the courses I need and honestly I prefer less of an independent study method and more of a structured course with a professor online.

14 minutes ago, SLP_hopeful123 said:

Hi guys, I still have some prerequisites I'll have to get done if I apply next year as well. Just trying to plan out my next year or so, but have had trouble finding all the prerequisite courses online. Have any of you taken prereqs online and if so, where did you take them? I'm currently taking two from Athabasca, but they don't have all the courses I need and honestly I prefer less of an independent study method and more of a structured course with a professor online.

Hello! What school do you want to apply to/which courses do you still need?

Edited by neuroling

24 minutes ago, neuroling said:

Hello! What school do you want to apply to/which courses do you still need?

I'm still trying to decide what schools I'll want to apply to, but for UBC I would need: a phonology course, speech science course, cognitive psych or psycholinguistics course. For U of A I would need a cognitive psych course and a neuroanatomy or neuropsychology course. For a couple schools I need a human anatomy and physiology course (U of T, Western, etc). For UDEM I would a course in human development (adult / adolescent / old age). Might also need a neuroscience course for UDEM. 

3 minutes ago, SLP_hopeful123 said:

I'm still trying to decide what schools I'll want to apply to, but for UBC I would need: a phonology course, speech science course, cognitive psych or psycholinguistics course. For U of A I would need a cognitive psych course and a neuroanatomy or neuropsychology course. For a couple schools I need a human anatomy and physiology course (U of T, Western, etc). For UDEM I would a course in human development (adult / adolescent / old age). Might also need a neuroscience course for UDEM. 

Have you already taken AUDI 402 through UBC? I'd assume that would cover the neuroanatomy for UA and UDEM, but not sure. It's online course but not self-paced. Beyond that, I'm less sure, although I think some schools are offering courses online this summer before a hopeful return to campus in the fall, so it may be worth looking into becoming a non-degree or unclassified student somewhere to see if you could take courses there. Good luck!!

1 hour ago, SLP_hopeful123 said:

Based on what you have listed here you have pretty close to a full year of credits. Would you consider doing in person school for a year just to get them over and done with? It's a big choice and you probably have a good reason for wanting to get things done online.

In my experience even online courses that are synchronous have a professor that is really hands off. I know I have struggled for that reason because I benefit from more structure.

Edited by Luck26

Given the much greater selection of online courses because of COVID this past year, it may be a little easier than past years to do this. As a previous UofT student I was able to register as a non-degree student pretty easily and take some online courses last semester. It might be worth contacting some registrars for schools that have the courses you are interested in to inquire about the process of registering as a non-degree. I also preferred these types of courses over Athabasca's self-directed style. I completed all of my prereqs except for one at UofT so if you're curious about any specific courses or need help navigating the website or course codes shoot me a message :)

Edited by DreamingofSpeech

3 minutes ago, neuroling said:

Have you already taken AUDI 402 through UBC? I'd assume that would cover the neuroanatomy for UA and UDEM, but not sure. It's online course but not self-paced. Beyond that, I'm less sure, although I think some schools are offering courses online this summer before a hopeful return to campus in the fall, so it may be worth looking into becoming a non-degree or unclassified student somewhere to see if you could take courses there. Good luck!!

I have taken AUDI 402 and this is just my own opinion but that course is so much material! Just endless text/readings. There aren't lectures so it can be hard to narrow down important concepts for testing. It is almost unmanageable if you are in any other classes. I would recommend taking your basic anatomy before attempting AUDI at UBC.

24 minutes ago, neuroling said:

I haven't, but I've tried contacting UBC several times over the past year or so with no luck. They just don't answer, it's quite frustrating. Yeah, I might do that at this point. Thank you!

14 minutes ago, Luck26 said:

I have taken AUDI 402 and this is just my own opinion but that course is so much material! Just endless text/readings. There aren't lectures so it can be hard to narrow down important concepts for testing. It is almost unmanageable if you are in any other classes. I would recommend taking your basic anatomy before attempting AUDI at UBC.

I'm still trying to figure out if it's possible to wait to take AUDI 402 until getting accepted to UBC, should I apply next year (don't really want to waste my time and money on such a specific course unless I'm accepted), but again I've tried contacting UBC to ask them a lot of questions about their program but they just don't respond. ? 

Just now, SLP_hopeful123 said:

I'm still trying to figure out if it's possible to wait to take AUDI 402 until getting accepted to UBC, should I apply next year (don't really want to waste my time and money on such a specific course unless I'm accepted), but again I've tried contacting UBC to ask them a lot of questions about their program but they just don't respond. ? 

That is really frustrating. What I heard is that you need to have a plan to complete the course at the time you apply. The course is offered in the 2nd winter semester and summer so for example if you apply you can be registered to take it in the winter semester or you can say that you plan to take it in the summer (you can't be registered because summer registration won't be open yet). So I think technically you can wait because you hear about acceptances in April and the summer courses doesn't start until may. I feel like I would be too stressed to test it out without confirmation from the program though. 

I haven't, but I've tried contacting UBC several times over the past year or so with no luck. They just don't answer, it's quite frustrating. Yeah, I might do that at this point. Thank you!

Oh geez I'm sorry to hear that. What email have you been using? non.degree@ubc.ca has been quick to respond to me lately but I've also had nightmare experiences trying to get through to them in the past so I hear you

Edit to add: you don't have to take it till the summer before the program (source - I have friends who've done it) but the registration process takes a while and sometimes the class fills up. Non-degree reg is in very early april usually so if you chose to go that route, I would get registered as a non-degree student in early jan next year (or start bugging them in december even) and then if you get in, pay your deposit and register or  get on the waitlist asap. Hope that is helpful :) 

Edited by neuroling
more info

15 minutes ago, neuroling said:

Oh geez I'm sorry to hear that. What email have you been using? non.degree@ubc.ca has been quick to respond to me lately but I've also had nightmare experiences trying to get through to them in the past so I hear you

I think I tried a couple of different ones, mainly program.advisor@audiospeech.ubc.ca 

I'll try the one you suggested though, thank you! 

1 minute ago, SLP_hopeful123 said:

I think I tried a couple of different ones, mainly program.advisor@audiospeech.ubc.ca 

I'll try the one you suggested though, thank you! 

Oh yeah, their advisor is not very good with timely responses to emails from my experience. I also added a little more info to my last post so I hope it helps!

Hi there! 

Just wanted to say hello. Currently waiting for responses from McGill and OttawaU ☺️.  Kinda confused with McGills process haha but yeah I still havent received anything. 

Does anyone know when OttawaU usually comes out with responses?

Good luck to everyone!!

30 minutes ago, slp20210 said:

Hi there! 

Just wanted to say hello. Currently waiting for responses from McGill and OttawaU ☺️.  Kinda confused with McGills process haha but yeah I still havent received anything. 

Does anyone know when OttawaU usually comes out with responses?

Good luck to everyone!!

Last year Ottawa started sending offers on April 7