1 hour ago, CCSLP94 said:

I'm a first-year student at Western so I can touch on our program a bit. We have a great speech science course in our first term that talks a lot about pitch, resonance, breath, etc. and has a sister clinical applications course where we practice analyzing/measuring these things. However, our voice disorders course isn't until second year so I can't really provide information on that. I am finishing my first placement this week at Western's in-house clinic and I just happened to be randomly assigned to a voice client. My clinical supervisor (who I believe is always or at least usually the supervisor for voice clients) is absolutely amazing. She is extremely knowledgeable about working with voice disorders, LSVT, singers/actors, transgender individuals, etc. and she is always happy to share information/answer questions.

I don't believe that you can request certain areas for your first placement but if you do end up at Western and happen to get a voice placement I don't think you would be disappointed.

I hope this helps! Feel free to message me if you have any questions :)

Thank you so much, that's super helpful 

13 hours ago, neuroling said:

General question - If I'm interested in the field of voice, does anyone know which schools are most geared towards that? I'm interested in any schools (even abroad), in case I do end up needing to re-apply next year

8 hours ago, CCSLP94 said:

I'm a first-year student at Western so I can touch on our program a bit. We have a great speech science course in our first term that talks a lot about pitch, resonance, breath, etc. and has a sister clinical applications course where we practice analyzing/measuring these things. However, our voice disorders course isn't until second year so I can't really provide information on that. I am finishing my first placement this week at Western's in-house clinic and I just happened to be randomly assigned to a voice client. My clinical supervisor (who I believe is always or at least usually the supervisor for voice clients) is absolutely amazing. She is extremely knowledgeable about working with voice disorders, LSVT, singers/actors, transgender individuals, etc. and she is always happy to share information/answer questions.

I don't believe that you can request certain areas for your first placement but if you do end up at Western and happen to get a voice placement I don't think you would be disappointed.

I hope this helps! Feel free to message me if you have any questions :)

Just wanted to add to this! U of A also has a speech science course in first term that talks about pitch, resonance, breath, etc. We also have a voice and resonance disorders course next year too. In our speech science course we talked a little bit about transgender individuals but not a ton, however it seemed that prof was fairly knowledgable about that topic or at least interested in researching more about it. For placements at U of A, you are able to make special requests to work with special populations and so its possible that this could be something you could request, but it really depends on what opportunities are available and who is willing to take you on as a student. I'm not 100% sure if there are opportunities specifically catered to this area out there or not, so you would have to check with the clinical placement coordinators to be sure. Also, there was actually a student in the voice program who joined our cohort for our speech science class. He is doing his masters degree in MFA Voice Pedagogy at U of A. He is also doing applied research in that field researching a new technique he designed to tune the human voice. Maybe this degree could be worth looking into more if you're interested in that area! I don't know too much about it but if you're wanting more info, send me a message and I could put you in contact with him. ?

https://www.ualberta.ca/drama/graduate/mfa-theatre-voice-pedagogy/index.html

Edited by JennSed

29 minutes ago, Want2BeAnSLP said:

I know people have said that the Ontario Schools have the emails set to be sent out at midnight on April 1. Is that EST? Or does it depend on where you live? 

omg good question ... :( omg I'm so scared for next week. I've been waiting for this moment during my whole bachelor lol 

good luck to us, hopefully we'll get through ! 

26 minutes ago, Want2BeAnSLP said:

I know people have said that the Ontario Schools have the emails set to be sent out at midnight on April 1. Is that EST? Or does it depend on where you live? 

yeah its definitely going to be in the time zone that the schools are based it. so yes EST! Good luck! 1 week to go everyone!!

Just now, onaspeechcrayz said:

yeah its definitely going to be in the time zone that the schools are based it. so yes EST! Good luck! 1 week to go everyone!!

definitely not sleeping on the night of March 31st haha ! thanks a lot 

11 hours ago, JennSed said:

Just wanted to add to this! U of A also has a speech science course in first term that talks about pitch, resonance, breath, etc. We also have a voice and resonance disorders course next year too. In our speech science course we talked a little bit about transgender individuals but not a ton, however it seemed that prof was fairly knowledgable about that topic or at least interested in researching more about it. For placements at U of A, you are able to make special requests to work with special populations and so its possible that this could be something you could request, but it really depends on what opportunities are available and who is willing to take you on as a student. I'm not 100% sure if there are opportunities specifically catered to this area out there or not, so you would have to check with the clinical placement coordinators to be sure. Also, there was actually a student in the voice program who joined our cohort for our speech science class. He is doing his masters degree in MFA Voice Pedagogy at U of A. He is also doing applied research in that field researching a new technique he designed to tune the human voice. Maybe this degree could be worth looking into more if you're interested in that area! I don't know too much about it but if you're wanting more info, send me a message and I could put you in contact with him. ?

https://www.ualberta.ca/drama/graduate/mfa-theatre-voice-pedagogy/index.html

So helpful, thank you! I'll take some time to poke around on the website, but I may take you up on that. 

On 3/15/2021 at 12:36 PM, Terre-neuvien said:

They had something missing from my file the other day and they just broadly said "April" when I asked, haha.

^ No particular day ? 

28 minutes ago, happyeveryday said:

Does anyone know if there is an exact day Dal will release acceptances? From what I’ve seen so far on here it seems like no, just getting antsy since Ontario schools have an exact date ahhhh

For Western, if you have a login with the student center, the decision (acceptance, rejection, waitlist) appears right on the front page.

Source: this is my third time applying and I'm tired of seeing the yellow triangle indicating waitlisted ? 

I've also wanted to put my input on this feed for a while... I guess now's the time since anxiety is running high with 1 week until decisions are out? so this is my third time applying to Canadian SLP programs, and it has not been an easy 3 years.  From volunteering in SLP and audiology clinics full time, taking a bunch of non-degree courses to increase my GPA, working full time at an SLP clinic as a client care coordinator and STILL receiving waitlisted/rejection... this process was grueling and took a huge toll on my mental health. I feel all your posts and empathize with the anxiety from the bottom of my heart. 

I decided to apply this year to US universities, and man, that experience was incredible. First, it's super easy to apply as they have a centralized app portal for the majority of SLP programs in the states. I got follow-ups from program coordinators personally asking for more information on my experiences, TWO acceptances so far, and just an all around feeling like they value each and every applicant. 

I wanted to share this experience with you to let you know that each and every one of you are working your ASSES off and in the hopefully unlikely event that you don't receive good news this years, DON'T YOU DARE GIVE UP.  There ARE options and you ARE worth it.

Also I would be more than happy to share my stats, info I've gathered from US unis, and just if you want to DM me to rant I'm more than available.

53 minutes ago, sh. said:

For Western, if you have a login with the student center, the decision (acceptance, rejection, waitlist) appears right on the front page.

Source: this is my third time applying and I'm tired of seeing the yellow triangle indicating waitlisted ? 

I've also wanted to put my input on this feed for a while... I guess now's the time since anxiety is running high with 1 week until decisions are out? so this is my third time applying to Canadian SLP programs, and it has not been an easy 3 years.  From volunteering in SLP and audiology clinics full time, taking a bunch of non-degree courses to increase my GPA, working full time at an SLP clinic as a client care coordinator and STILL receiving waitlisted/rejection... this process was grueling and took a huge toll on my mental health. I feel all your posts and empathize with the anxiety from the bottom of my heart. 

I decided to apply this year to US universities, and man, that experience was incredible. First, it's super easy to apply as they have a centralized app portal for the majority of SLP programs in the states. I got follow-ups from program coordinators personally asking for more information on my experiences, TWO acceptances so far, and just an all around feeling like they value each and every applicant. 

I wanted to share this experience with you to let you know that each and every one of you are working your ASSES off and in the hopefully unlikely event that you don't receive good news this years, DON'T YOU DARE GIVE UP.  There ARE options and you ARE worth it.

Also I would be more than happy to share my stats, info I've gathered from US unis, and just if you want to DM me to rant I'm more than available.

ONE DISCLAIMER... most universities in the US require that you have an undergrad degree in communication sciences and disorders, or have completed courses that satisfy their prereqs (which is a heinous amount.. and half the courses I didn't know even existed). So I only applied to universities that had a leveling track or that they straight up didn't care what bachelors degree you had. This took a LOT of research and although I have a list I don't think it's comprehensive. 

2 hours ago, sh. said:

ONE DISCLAIMER... most universities in the US require that you have an undergrad degree in communication sciences and disorders, or have completed courses that satisfy their prereqs (which is a heinous amount.. and half the courses I didn't know even existed). So I only applied to universities that had a leveling track or that they straight up didn't care what bachelors degree you had. This took a LOT of research and although I have a list I don't think it's comprehensive. 

Can you let us know the US schools you applied too? Thanks! 

17 minutes ago, onaspeechcrayz said:

Can you let us know the US schools you applied too? Thanks! 

I applied to Adelphi University, Syracuse University (accepted), Truman State University (accepted), Radford University (rejected), Pennsylvania State University (rejected), Nazareth College, Old Dominion University (rejected), and Grand Valley State University! Only because their deadlines were in February. The States have over 100 programs I bet

49 minutes ago, sh. said:

I applied to Adelphi University, Syracuse University (accepted), Truman State University (accepted), Radford University (rejected), Pennsylvania State University (rejected), Nazareth College, Old Dominion University (rejected), and Grand Valley State University! Only because their deadlines were in February. The States have over 100 programs I bet

Thats amazing! Congrats! Thanks for sharing!

18 hours ago, sh. said:

I am currently at University at Buffalo as I applied to both American and Canadian schools last year and got in there. As I did not have the prerequisites , I was accepted as a makeup student so It would make the program three years and the first year I spent time doing the prerequisites and some graduate courses. I believe more schools allow for this as well!

22 hours ago, sh. said:

omg ! wow thank you SO much :( you've no idea how much your message means to me ! You're absolutely right, we should NEVER give up and keep applying ! 

I really thank you for your empathy :)

I wish you good luck with your US admissions, you truly deserve it ! 

rmaam 

41 minutes ago, rmaam said:

omg ! wow thank you SO much :( you've no idea how much your message means to me ! You're absolutely right, we should NEVER give up and keep applying ! 

I really thank you for your empathy :)

I wish you good luck with your US admissions, you truly deserve it ! 

rmaam 

Aw absolutely! Going through these forums for the past 3 years always made me feel so discouraged (combination of low self-worth + reading all these posts from such phenomenal applicants!). I'm glad that sharing my experience helped ?

Also I want to add that I am in no way exceptional (mediocre subGPA and terrible cGPA) so I also just wanted to post to give hope to those who feel like they are also "not good enough". There are so many options if you are truly passionate about this field, and remember, everyone's journey is different!! 

3 minutes ago, pls_SLP said:

Anyone else absolutely jump out of their chair after receiving that email from Western? Definitely expected it to be in regards to acceptances/waitlists/rejections ?

haha i feel you! Just clarifying, did they send that to everyone regardless of if you already activated your account? Mine says I already did when I log on, but I just want to make sure there wasn't some technical error since the subject of the email said *your* identity requires activation.

3 minutes ago, fingerscrossedSLP said:

haha i feel you! Just clarifying, did they send that to everyone regardless of if you already activated your account? Mine says I already did when I log on, but I just want to make sure there wasn't some technical error since the subject of the email said *your* identity requires activation.

I was wondering this too, but if you already activated the account back when they sent the original email a while ago I think you should be okay! I made the account back then and still received this email. The email says that once you've activated your account you should be able to log in to the Student Centre, so since we're able to log into that then I'd assume it means it was activated already. :) They probably just sent it to all of the applicants

7 minutes ago, fingerscrossedSLP said:

Yes and I didn't realize it was sent to everyone so I went to check again and it will just say that you identity is already activated. After more careful reading I figured out it was sent to everyone and that if you can get on the portal you are good.

1 hour ago, coco_SLP said:

Did anyone here attend the McGill prospective students day last year? I'm signed up for it this year but didn't go last year, so I'm curious if anyone knows what it's like!

Anyone else here attending tomorrow?

I was going to go last year but I think it was cancelled because of the pandemic unfortunately!
I'm going to be there tomorrow though :)