11 minutes ago, slp2020ab said:

I think it'd be extremely unfair for them not to consider volunteering experiences at all. As tazm mentioned, some people spent years accumulating hundreds of hours. Hypothetically, Covid would have affected those that did not do any volunteering up until March 2020, which would have been a bit late to start. Also it made it harder but not impossible to get hours (I'm still doing online volunteering), so the fair thing would be to give it less weight.

Yeah, it's really frustrating to read that U of T has dismissed it all togehter, and now I'm worried about my western app. I completely understand and respect that it was really hard for some people. That being said, balancing volunteering with school is tough and it seems that the fair thing for those who have spent years volunteering or even acquired paid positions would be the make the evaluation either/or, not to dismiss it altogether :(

Edited by neuroling

7 minutes ago, neuroling said:

Yeah, I'm wondering if it was a waste if money to apply to western now. I completely understand and respect that it was really hard for some people. That being said, balqncing volunteering with school is tough and it seems that the fair thing for those who have spent years volunteering or even acquired paid positions would be the make the evaluation either/or, not to dismiss it altogether :(

Absolutely. I've been balancing volunteering with updating my grades and working full time for a couple of years, so learning that UofT may completely disregard that is a punch in the gut.

Well a few posts above you mentioned that you did get a letter from an SLP anyway, and if Western mentioned that thing with prior arrangements I'm sure they'll consider it. There's still some hope for Western! 

13 minutes ago, slp2020ab said:

Absolutely. I've been balancing volunteering with updating my grades and working full time for a couple of years, so learning that UofT may completely disregard that is a punch in the gut.

Well a few posts above you mentioned that you did get a letter from an SLP anyway, and if Western mentioned that thing with prior arrangements I'm sure they'll consider it. There's still some hope for Western! 

I hope so! Based on your handle it sounds like you're from Alberta, have you applied there? It sounds like they're still placing weight on it as well. There's still hope for us! 

Edited by neuroling

21 minutes ago, neuroling said:

I hope so! Based on your handle it sounds like you're from Alberta, have you applied there? It sounds like they're still placing weight on it as well. There's still hope for us! 

Unfortunately no, I've taken both CSD undergraduate courses to improve my subGPA and I really liked them, but relocating that far is not an option for me. I've only applied to Ontario schools and it's not looking good :( But not losing hope until April 1!

3 minutes ago, slp2020ab said:

Unfortunately no, I've taken both CSD undergraduate courses to improve my subGPA and I really liked them, but relocating that far is not an option for me. I've only applied to Ontario schools and it's not looking good :( But not losing hope until April 1!

Best of luck! I'm hoping other schools offer a more balanced consideration of our application.  

4 hours ago, coco_SLP said:

Mine is letting me right now! But I think I saw a thing the other day saying the site was going to be down for a few days for maintenance, I can't remember the exact dates but it should be up soon again, if not already.

2 hours ago, SpeechieWannaB said:

Mine just let me in... might have been the maintenence issue (as suggested)? Is it working now? 

Still the same. Says 

Invalid Login

1 hour ago, senate said:

Still the same. Says 

Invalid Login

Hmm interesting... the words "Invalid Login" make me think that it might've been a wrong username or password entered, but if you've used it before then it doesn't make sense. Mine is still working. Maybe contact the faculty as it suggests?

3 hours ago, coco_SLP said:

Hmm interesting... the words "Invalid Login" make me think that it might've been a wrong username or password entered, but if you've used it before then it doesn't make sense. Mine is still working. Maybe contact the faculty as it suggests?

My portal physically looks different now.... still says "under review" and "decision pending" though, so you're not missing anything exciting ??‍♀️

Does anyone know, if you get an an acceptance while you are finishing your degree, how 'conditional' is it on your performance in you classes in your final semester (assuming they aren't pre-reqs)? I intend to do well in my classes haha but curious how closely they look 

Edited by neuroling

4 hours ago, neuroling said:

Does anyone know, if you get an an acceptance while you are finishing your degree, how 'conditional' is it on your performance in you classes in your final semester (assuming they aren't pre-reqs)? I intend to do well in my classes haha but curious how closely they look 

I believe for UBC it’s just passing them at that point, from what I’ve heard

12 hours ago, neuroling said:

I don't think it matters. As long as you can provide proof of a completed degree by the end of June and meet any minimum grades for any pending prerequisite courses I don't think they look at any other grades other than the ones you were required to submit. I would also assume that any school that extends an offer letter will let you know what you need to do. 

10 minutes ago, Want2BeAnSLP said:

Anyone else constantly checking on their applications?? I'm getting so nervous and anxious I don't know how much longer I can wait hahaha, hopefully we hear something from some schools in the next week or so

What schools are you waiting for? I know its soo hard waiting!! I only applied to schools that get back to me on April 1st (Western, UofT and McMaster).

2 minutes ago, onaspeechcrayz said:

What schools are you waiting for? I know its soo hard waiting!! I only applied to schools that get back to me on April 1st (Western, UofT and McMaster).

I applied everywhere I could. McGill and Alberta should be releasing results soon but I know everywhere else is April 1, so I'm not anxious about those right now.

2 hours ago, Want2BeAnSLP said:

Anyone else constantly checking on their applications?? I'm getting so nervous and anxious I don't know how much longer I can wait hahaha, hopefully we hear something from some schools in the next week or so

Guilty over here ??‍♀️ Was tempted to email Vicki using an alias to ask when we can expect decisions lol ? 

I currently have a sub-GPA of 3.58, but a GPA of 3.38....will schools like Western and U of T, who, from what I have seen, focus more on the sub-GPA or GPA? I am getting a little bit nervous and impatient so I just want some advice. I am applying for the second time and last year I made it onto the waitlist at Western. Does anyone know how much being on the waitlist means for a second-timer like me? Good luck to everyone applying, I hope I get to meet some of you in the future!! :) 

18 minutes ago, SpeechieWannaB said:

Guilty over here ??‍♀️ Was tempted to email Vicki using an alias to ask when we can expect decisions lol ? 

Haha omg... this has crossed my mind before. Not going to do it but I am also checking my email obsessively. I keep telling myself that there's no way they'll send decisions over the weekend and I should just completely log out of my email but honestly, I'll still probably check 

6 minutes ago, speechie97 said:

I currently have a sub-GPA of 3.58, but a GPA of 3.38....will schools like Western and U of T, who, from what I have seen, focus more on the sub-GPA or GPA? I am getting a little bit nervous and impatient so I just want some advice. I am applying for the second time and last year I made it onto the waitlist at Western. Does anyone know how much being on the waitlist means for a second-timer like me? Good luck to everyone applying, I hope I get to meet some of you in the future!! :) 

From my understanding, they only look at sub-GPA! Congrats on making it onto the waitlist at Western last year, I'm sorry that you didn't make it off of it but hopefully this year can be your year! If you don't mind me asking, did Western give you any idea on where on the waitlist you were (a position, quadrant, etc.)? 

And best of luck to you, maybe we'll cross paths one day :) 

1 minute ago, coco_SLP said:

From my understanding, they only look at sub-GPA! Congrats on making it onto the waitlist at Western last year, I'm sorry that you didn't make it off of it but hopefully this year can be your year! If you don't mind me asking, did Western give you any idea on where on the waitlist you were (a position, quadrant, etc.)? 

And best of luck to you, maybe we'll cross paths one day :) 

Thanks :) I hope so!! I emailed Janet and she told me I was in quadrant 4, which I know is pretty far down the line ? I just want to know if I have a shot- I cannot wait to be SLP and just want to get started!! Where did you apply?

5 minutes ago, speechie97 said:

Thanks :) I hope so!! I emailed Janet and she told me I was in quadrant 4, which I know is pretty far down the line ? I just want to know if I have a shot- I cannot wait to be SLP and just want to get started!! Where did you apply?

Thanks for sharing that info! I wonder how many are in each quadrant. And I can't wait either, this is an exciting and nerve-wracking time! I applied to UAlberta, Western, McMaster, McGill, and Dal. I've put it in my signature (as have some other applicants) so that we can use a colour code system to see who gets accepted, rejected, waitlisted, etc. when they start coming out, if you'd wanna join some of us and do that too! You just have to go to the top right corner of the page where your username is, click on it and go to "Account Settings" and then on the left side will be some options, so if you click "Signature" you can edit it there :) 

Where did you apply?

Edited by coco_SLP
add detail

6 minutes ago, coco_SLP said:

Thanks for sharing that info! I wonder how many are in each quadrant. And I can't wait either, this is an exciting and nerve-wracking time! I applied to UAlberta, Western, McMaster, McGill, and Dal. I've put it in my signature (as have some other applicants) so that we can use a colour code system to see who gets accepted, rejected, waitlisted, etc. when they start coming out, if you'd wanna join some of us and do that too! You just have to go to the top right corner of the page where your username is, click on it and go to "Account Settings" and then on the left side will be some options, so if you click "Signature" you can edit it there :) 

Where did you apply?

I was wondering how everyone was doing that haha thanks! I applied to McMaster, Western, UofT, and McGill :) 

19 hours ago, neuroling said:

I can really only speak to UofA, but all they required from us was updated transcripts later and it was already like a semester into the program too. They didn't seem to care about the grade, just wanted to see the classes were completed.

33 minutes ago, JennSed said:

I can really only speak to UofA, but all they required from us was updated transcripts later and it was already like a semester into the program too. They didn't seem to care about the grade, just wanted to see the classes were completed.

Awesome, thanks! Super appreciative of the current students who peruse this thread. I guess they just want to make sure you graduated then, makes sense!

15 minutes ago, neuroling said:

Awesome, thanks! Super appreciative of the current students who peruse this thread. I guess they just want to make sure you graduated then, makes sense!

Its my pleasure! I remember being in your position not too long ago and having so many questions but no one to ask, so I try to help however I can ?