1 hour ago, SpeechieWannaB said:

Anyone else checking their email once an hour ???  

I'm sure I have new grey hairs because of this waiting game ?

54 minutes ago, speechie297 said:

YES. Checking the portal/emails everyday... multiple times a day... 

49 minutes ago, coco_SLP said:

Haha, me too! I always keep my email open in a tab, and so anytime it dings I rush to check it...although most times it's just disappointing things like spam or something about school or work ? it's crazy to think that sometime(s) over the next few weeks it will be something far more important than that!

Also same, I feel like I'm going a bit crazy lol 

10 hours ago, Speechies22 said:

Hi everyone, hope you’re all doing well! I noticed that not a lot of you applied to UBC this cycle, I’m just curious and am wondering why... 

I nearly didn't apply to UBC despite being from BC because they pre-reqs are so specific! It's pretty crazy how particular they are, but it does give them sort of a unique way to calculate admissions GPA (if I'm not mistaken it's just GPA over those courses)

1 hour ago, SLPapplicant22 said:

Hey does anyone know what GRE scores do/don't make the cut for U of A and Dal? Or if anyone has heard of successful applicants and their range of scores?

@JennSed  sent this reply when I asked about UofA GRE last month. Hope it helps!

On 2/10/2021 at 8:54 PM, JennSed said:

Hey, I wouldn't worry too much about the GRE at UofA. They don't weigh it very heavily - most people in the program right now with me did not do well on the GRE haha. I think they use it more to "weed people out" since a lot of people see that pre-req and don't end up applying there, so it reduces their applicants to people who will put in the extra effort.

1 hour ago, SLPapplicant22 said:

Oh thank you so much!! Does anyone know for Dal?

No idea, sorry! I wonder though if they might weight it a bit heaver (or at least a bit heavier than UA) since they don't have any required prerequisites or experience. However, this is entirely just a guess! 

Also, if you go to the top left and click "Results" and then in the search bar enter "Dalhousie speech" then you'll be able to see a list of results from people over the past few years, and if you hover over the small red diamonds then you can see the GPA and GRE scores of those who did and didn't get accepted. 

I hope this helps, let me know if it's confusing! 

1 hour ago, onaspeechcrayz said:

Has anyone heard of either Western, UofT or McMaster accepting students before April 1st?

I don't think so. In the past sometimes the date they release them has even been April 2nd or 3rd, depending on the application year. But given that the ORPAS website says April 1st is the "Earliest date for Audiology (AUD) and Speech-Language Pathology (SLP) offers to be sent out" (https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/orpas-dates/) then I don't think they would ever release them before that. However, from past threads it seems like sometimes ORPAS will show acceptances/waitlist/rejections right at 12:01a.m., so we might actually find something out basically at midnight on March 31st, if that's worth anything! :) 

On 2/25/2021 at 6:21 PM, neuroling said:

Thank you for sharing this! I was so nervous about not having finished it 

Hey! I did not even have my MOOC Indig course started when I applied last year, as well as I was in progress with several pre-req courses and I still got accepted. The MOOC course is super super easy and fast, so I don't think they care too much about if you've already done it when you apply. I honestly don't even remember needing to submit proof of completion of it, but its been a while so maybe I just forget that I sent it in.

5 minutes ago, JennSed said:

Hey! I did not even have my MOOC Indig course started when I applied last year, as well as I was in progress with several pre-req courses and I still got accepted. The MOOC course is super super easy and fast, so I don't think they care too much about if you've already done it when you apply. I honestly don't even remember needing to submit proof of completion of it, but its been a while so maybe I just forget that I sent it in.

Thank you for this! I've seen so many people say UA has not admitted people before due to prereqs in progress, but I only ever heard this from applicants and never from the school directly, so I wasn't completely sure how valid it was, so it's reassuring to hear from someone who was admitted with them in progress, so thank you for that! I'm sure it's still probably better to have most of them done, but nonetheless it's reassuring to know that it doesn't completely eliminate our chances of getting accepted at all. 

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, coco_SLP said:

Thank you for this! I've seen so many people say UA has not admitted people before due to prereqs in progress, but I only ever heard this from applicants and never from the school directly, so I wasn't completely sure how valid it was, so it's reassuring to hear from someone who was admitted with them in progress, so thank you for that! I'm sure it's still probably better to have most of them done, but nonetheless it's reassuring to know that it doesn't completely eliminate our chances of getting accepted at all. 

Thanks!

Definitely!! It's hard to say how exactly it plays into your application, because I do know people who were waitlisted the year before and they felt that it was because they still had in progress courses, but there are so many factors that play into it and it could've been because of other reasons. But it definitely doesn't eliminate your chances of getting accepted! I had my phonetics course in progress at the time of application, and I hadn't even started my Child Language Development or Indigenous courses at all at that point, and I did them during the summer after I knew I was accepted. 

Just now, JennSed said:

Definitely!! It's hard to say how exactly it plays into your application, because I do know people who were waitlisted the year before and they felt that it was because they still had in progress courses, but there are so many factors that play into it and it could've been because of other reasons. But it definitely doesn't eliminate your chances of getting accepted! I had my phonetics course in progress at the time of application, and I hadn't even started my Child Language Development or Indigenous courses at all at that point, and I did them during the summer after I knew I was accepted. 

Thanks for giving your insight to us this year! I know they're also basing admissions off of different criteria this year (less focus on GPA, among other things) so it could definitely be much different this year than even last year, but nonetheless thanks for providing what you do know!

42 minutes ago, JennSed said:

Thanks for sharing, it's so hard to interpret how things have gone based on forum posts of past years—I appreciate your perspective! 

1 hour ago, Want2BeAnSLP said:

Does anyone have previous experience applying to UofA? Just wondering how long the application was "under review" before a decision was made. Getting anxious and checking multiple times a day lol

This is my first time applying, but based on past forums it seems like only a week or two! Very exciting. However, in the past some people's applications have never actually switched to "Under Review", as in some people said theirs still said "pre-screening" even after they'd received acceptance or rejection emails, so it's not a perfect system to judge by, haha. Additionally, I've been wondering if it might take longer to make decisions this year since due to the change in how they're making their decisions. 

So, it's hard to tell for sure, but if anyone has asked the department or has a better answer please feel free to share what you know!

My UBC application still only says "Submitted", however about a week or so ago I received an email from the Graduate advisor inquiring about a component relating to my residency (I have a sort of unique situation), so it seems like they're in the process of pre-screening, checking my documents for stuff like that.

For McGill, my status is "In Review", and U of A "Under Review". 

For McMaster, I did not make it to the next round. 

Just wanted to give you all an idea of where some applications at various places are at!

2 hours ago, Wugs said:

My UBC application still only says "Submitted", however about a week or so ago I received an email from the Graduate advisor inquiring about a component relating to my residency (I have a sort of unique situation), so it seems like they're in the process of pre-screening, checking my documents for stuff like that.

For McGill, my status is "In Review", and U of A "Under Review". 

For McMaster, I did not make it to the next round. 

Just wanted to give you all an idea of where some applications at various places are at!

Thank you for the update about UBC! I was curious where they were in their process, although historically it seems like we have at least 3 more weeks before they would be sending out their very first acceptances 

1 hour ago, neuroling said:

Thank you for the update about UBC! I was curious where they were in their process, although historically it seems like we have at least 3 more weeks before they would be sending out their very first acceptances 

Yes, from what I know is it's very initial at the moment, and it will be until April before we find out :)

30 minutes ago, NDspeechie said:

My top choices are Dalhousie or U of Ottawa!

Nice! I go back and forth between UAlberta, UBC and Western. Almost hoping the choice will be made for me (but not really)

Hi guys! Just wanted to introduce myself! I applied to Mac, Western, and U of T. I have a subgpa of 3.95, however, I wasn't given an interview for mac. But I do know why. 

My pre-requisite for stats was a B- so that why. I just thought that since my sub gpa was high, maybe they'd look past it but they clearly are very strict with pre-reqs. 

Crossing my fingers for the other 2 schools and best of luck to everyone!

3 minutes ago, MelissaFuture SLP said:

Hi guys! Just wanted to introduce myself! I applied to Mac, Western, and U of T. I have a subgpa of 3.95, however, I wasn't given an interview for mac. But I do know why. 

My pre-requisite for stats was a B- so that why. I just thought that since my sub gpa was high, maybe they'd look past it but they clearly are very strict with pre-reqs. 

Crossing my fingers for the other 2 schools and best of luck to everyone!

Im sorry that happened to you. Im surprised they didn't consider you and then if you got in just make you take the course again before the program begins. 

Hopefully the other schools will look past it. Also it might differ by how much the school value the stats pre-requisite. 

24 minutes ago, SpeechST said:

Is anyones U of A still in pre-screening? 

Mine is not but it looks like last year some people were accepted with their portals still in pre-screening, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it (although I know that's easier said than done)