UChicago Harris 2021

yikes1998

14 hours ago, rnk said:

Anyone know what the maximum amount of funding Harris gives is?

I think 30-35K is the max. I tried to negotiate when I was accepted in a previous cycle using offers from other programs (equal and higher ranked) and they did not budge. You can definitely try, though, if you get better funding offers. 

Hello all,

Putting the finishing touches on my application prior to tomorrow's Round 2 due date.  I received an email today from the Director of Enrollment asking to schedule a 20 minute coffee chat next month.

Has anyone else had similar conversations with the school? Trying to get a sense of what this means, if anything, and how it may or may not play into the application process.

Thanks!

Edited by MPPNYC

On 1/21/2021 at 10:15 AM, MPPNYC said:

Hello all,

Putting the finishing touches on my application prior to tomorrow's Round 2 due date.  I received an email today from the Director of Enrollment asking to schedule a 20 minute coffee chat next month.

Has anyone else had similar conversations with the school? Trying to get a sense of what this means, if anything, and how it may or may not play into the application process.

Thanks!

Hi - I got one of those too. I did it but I did not get the greatest feeling from it. I would treat it as sort of a mini interview. But, I was kinda thrown off because the person started off by asking what questions I had. I thought that they were going to tell me something about themselves or about the program and I was just kinda caught off guard and confused because they asked me to meet... I dk. I hope yours goes well! 

On 1/21/2021 at 8:15 AM, MPPNYC said:

Hello all,

Thanks!

Hey that's interesting this was prior to you even submitting your application? 

9 minutes ago, Waitlist said:

Hey that's interesting this was prior to you even submitting your application? 

Yes! Strange, right? I was wondering if maybe it was because I hadn't had any formal interaction with the school previously (I haven't visited or attended any online admissions events, etc), and they are trying to gauge if I am truly interested or just applying. But, they also waived my application fee -- perhaps that's normal for everyone, as I know other schools have done this for all applications this year given the realities of COVID.  I wasn't notified that anyone looked at my LinkedIn, etc., so I don't want to read too much into it, but I was curious as to why this might be. 

20 hours ago, loiewo said:

Hi - I got one of those too. I did it but I did not get the greatest feeling from it. I would treat it as sort of a mini interview. But, I was kinda thrown off because the person started off by asking what questions I had. I thought that they were going to tell me something about themselves or about the program and I was just kinda caught off guard and confused because they asked me to meet... I dk. I hope yours goes well! 

Sorry to hear you felt thrown off! I had a feeling it was a bit of an interview situation; thank you for confirming. Had you submitted your application already? Had you ever visited the school or interacted with them at all? Are you an unusual candidate in some way? (I am probably several older than the average candidate, and was wondering if maybe that was it, too). Just trying to get a sense as to the motivation of this. Thank you! 

13 minutes ago, MPPNYC said:

Yes! Strange, right? I was wondering if maybe it was because I hadn't had any formal interaction with the school previously (I haven't visited or attended any online admissions events, etc), and they are trying to gauge if I am truly interested or just applying. But, they also waived my application fee -- perhaps that's normal for everyone, as I know other schools have done this for all applications this year given the realities of COVID.  I wasn't notified that anyone looked at my LinkedIn, etc., so I don't want to read too much into it, but I was curious as to why this might be. 

Sorry to hear you felt thrown off! I had a feeling it was a bit of an interview situation; thank you for confirming. Had you submitted your application already? Had you ever visited the school or interacted with them at all? Are you an unusual candidate in some way? (I am probably several older than the average candidate, and was wondering if maybe that was it, too). Just trying to get a sense as to the motivation of this. Thank you! 

I’m older and a lawyer. I’m Hispanic. Those are the only ways I can think I would be different. 

Young, white, and not a lawyer, and I also got one of those "I'd like to chat for 20 minutes, also we waived your fee" emails before I submitted my application. I was as surprised as you guys when it turned out to be more of a Q&A with me asking the Qs. I was admitted, so hopefully it's a good sign for you guys too!

I got that email a while back and scheduled a convo as well. I actually think they send that offer out to everyone (did anyone not get that email?) just to give applicants a chance to ask questions about the admit process/program. I definitely didn't feel like it was an interview at all, but came prepared with good questions. I wouldn't think too much into receiving that email, as I'm pretty sure it's just a nice offering from admissions. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Andyz96 said:

Hello everyone, 

I was accepted to the MPP program three weeks ago only with a 5K scholarship and a waitlist on the Pearson fellowship. Does anyone know how much they award for the Pearson fellowship? 

Thanks. 

I have a similar question - does anyone know when the center for effective governance scholarship decisions will go out and how much they award? Thank you!

On 2/8/2021 at 4:21 PM, Andyz96 said:

Hello everyone, 

I was accepted to the MPP program three weeks ago only with a 5K scholarship and a waitlist on the Pearson fellowship. Does anyone know how much they award for the Pearson fellowship? 

Thanks. 

Hi! I'm wondering how and when you got notified of the Pearson Fellowship result. I also applied for it but have not heard back yet... Thank you!

So I applied to the Evening Master’s Program on February 1st (two weeks after the targeted deadline). I was originally planning to apply for the next cycle but decided to throw my hat in the ring this cycle. The program and the schedule and location works perfectly with my job and I think it will be great for my career path. 

I was interviewed on February 11th, when they said they would let me know by Monday or Tuesday.  But I got the call on Friday morning saying I’d been accepted!  I’m so happy!  I have been considering graduate school for years but I’m older (38) and it just didn’t make sense to join a program with people who are in their twenties.  This program is perfect for my needs, and I’m considering applying to another degree after this one. 

So, they didn’t send me the offer of admission until late Friday afternoon, and it said the deadline for my deposit and my official transcript is Sunday.  I put in the deposit, but I’ve gotten no directions on how to send in my official transcript.  I emailed admissions, but I assume they won’t respond until Monday. 

I’m sure they will work with me if I send it in late, but if I can just meet the deadline and get it to them tomorrow, that would be great.

I went through the transcript service for my undergrad, but Harris doesn’t come up as an option when I put in U chicago (pic attached).  They also have the option of inputting an access ID (I don’t know what the access code is for Harris) or putting in a physical address and email.  

Can anyone who’s done this share the information on how to send in official transcripts? I can always send it again later - I’m sure they’ll work with me given the swify turnaround.

Lastly, should I assume I have no financial aid or awards if no one has mentioned anything? They did tell me to fill out my FAFSFA asap, which I did, but I haven’t gotten any other info yet.

I appreciate any advice or info other admitted students can offer!  Thanks!  

624CCECF-071D-4433-B77B-D58F50A768ED.png

On 2/9/2021 at 10:17 PM, Quincy1433 said:

Hi! I'm wondering how and when you got notified of the Pearson Fellowship result. I also applied for it but have not heard back yet... Thank you!

A dean called me to congratulate me on getting in and I had also not heard back about Pearson, so I asked her about it. She told me that all the funding has already been distributed. It seems a little misguided to not send any sort of notification to people who didn't get the fellowship, but c'est la vie. Maybe notification is still to come, but if you haven't heard anything, I'm guessing it's a no.

On 2/8/2021 at 9:12 PM, aspiringmpp said:

I have a similar question - does anyone know when the center for effective governance scholarship decisions will go out and how much they award? Thank you!

In a session today they said they'll provide "updates" at the end of February. Not sure if it'll be final decisions, but at least that's some info! 

Check the portal.  Just got updated with a result. 

Another waitlist decision for me, booo. 

Anyone know anything about the odds of getting admitted from the WL, or any tips for success as a waitlisted person?

9 hours ago, BinZh5551 said:

Hey! Just want to ask you guys that after being waitlisted, is there anything I can do to make me more eligible for this program? I really like Harris and would be so disappointed if i won't get this chance! Thx!!!!

I also got wait listed in MA Public Policy with Certificate in Research Methods (MACRM). Slightly disappointed as I was looking forward to it as a first choice. Any information on the WL and the webinar access is

Also, does anyone know if this post from 2018 is any relevant today? https://harris.uchicago.edu/admissions/blog/waitlist-information-and-faq

Just now, venkatsiva said:

I also got wait listed in MA Public Policy with Certificate in Research Methods (MACRM). Slightly disappointed as I was looking forward to it as a first choice. Any information on the WL and the webinar access is

Also, does anyone know if this post from 2018 is any relevant today? https://harris.uchicago.edu/admissions/blog/waitlist-information-and-faq

I think since the website about wl is not changed so it might apply to us as well... but not sure about it.

I asked some of the admitted students from last year, some said it was encouraged to send some additional materials to them, eg better scores and new internships. i already decided to do so, but still unsure if that's gonna help my application.

And some said in 2020, many wl students received offer under one condition to enroll in their DPSS program.

Hope my info helps