2021 Chemistry PhD Admissions Results

a1120

Has anyone heard back from Northeastern University Chemistry program and know when is their virtual visitation days? They placed me on a waitlist and I'm going back and forth on whether it's worth waiting to hear from them or commit to my other offers. Their website does a poor job of showcasing their program structure it's so confusing. But their faculty research perfectly match my interest and I don't want to let go lol

Edited by 90% Caffeine

14 hours ago, fermidirac said:

Im not an international student but received an offer. However, I don't recommend it at all if you are in theory and interested in working with Prof. Joel or Paesani. I found them very impolite and strict during the virtual visits and the individual meetings. They will tell you that if you are like this or that you will be kicked out of the group. Very weird experience! I think other theory students had similar experience. they can comment probably here.

I can't speak for theory, but I went to the UCSD open house for inorganic and had a terrific experience. All of my interactions with the professors and students were positive. The inorganic division was very welcoming to all students. I think if you ask each PI what they expect out of students, they're going to be honest and tell you how it is. However, the ones I spoke with were very laid back and really pushed the fact that the department has an emphasis on doing fun chemistry.

Word from students was that biochemistry division was more 'competitive' but I don't know about the other tracks.

59 minutes ago, clairdelune said:

Same here! I haven't heard anything, and I'm asuming it is going to be a rejection :(

I just mailed them for updates regarding my application. They replied saying they have not made a decision on my application yet. They also said " However the admissions committee has made all of the offers they plan to make."

Has anyone heard from JHU since they extended their application deadline to 1/15? I submitted after the original deadline but before the 1/15 deadline and have yet to see any additional offers made. I contacted the admissions department and the chemistry department coordinator. Only the admissions department responded and told me to contact the chemistry department head who I have yet to hear back from. I don't really care what the decision is but I wish they would at least tell me if I'm on the waitlist or rejected so I can make my decision since JHU is a top pick of mine. 

11 hours ago, spikedplant said:

Has anyone heard from JHU since they extended their application deadline to 1/15? I submitted after the original deadline but before the 1/15 deadline and have yet to see any additional offers made. I contacted the admissions department and the chemistry department coordinator. Only the admissions department responded and told me to contact the chemistry department head who I have yet to hear back from. I don't really care what the decision is but I wish they would at least tell me if I'm on the waitlist or rejected so I can make my decision since JHU is a top pick of mine. 

haven't heard back yet, no updates on my portal either

On 3/4/2021 at 7:47 PM, bbb5 said:

have any internationals heard from UCSD? I'm not sure whether I should assume it's a rejection since there hasn't been news

Same Here. I think it's a rejection since they already did their interviews and stuff

11 hours ago, Adultingistrash said:

Same Here. I think it's a rejection since they already did their interviews and stuff

same, and I see nothing at application preview and feels like it indicates rejection lol,,,

Hi everyone!
I'm about to accept an offer from Scripps Research, but I want to ask your opinion about this school before. I just don't understand why so few people (in this forum) applied to that school if it's ranked as one of the top schools in chemistry. For example, why did some of you choose UNC or Purdue over Scripps? Can anyone share their opinion on why they decided not to apply to that school?

4 hours ago, Nightrestr said:

Hi everyone!
I'm about to accept an offer from Scripps Research, but I want to ask your opinion about this school before. I just don't understand why so few people (in this forum) applied to that school if it's ranked as one of the top schools in chemistry. For example, why did some of you choose UNC or Purdue over Scripps? Can anyone share their opinion on why they decided not to apply to that school?

I noticed that their chemistry PhD program is so biologically/medically inclined that it can hardly be called a chemistry program. That's why I didn't apply there. I imagine it's similar for many other people. In other words, it's like frozonecom said: it's a matter of research fit.

Edited by CoordinationChem

5 hours ago, frozonecom said:

Hi! I didn't apply to this school, but I am aware of its existence and, more importantly, of its excellence.

The main reason I didn't apply to this school is because of the lack of research fit and a research mentor/supervisor that can guide me in my PhD journey in a topic that I'm interested in.

For sure, if a research topic that you are interested in is being worked on by the experts at Scripps, it seems only right to try and apply to the institution.

5 hours ago, CoordinationChem said:

I noticed that their chemistry PhD program is so biologically/medically inclined that it can hardly be called a chemistry program. That's why I didn't apply there. I imagine it's similar for many other people. In other words, it's like frozonecom said: it's a matter of research fit.

Thank you, frozonecom and CoordinationChem! 
Yeah, I understand that Scripps may not fit everyone in terms of research topics, but I thought there might be some other reasons... If it's the only reason for many, it's a relief for me.
Thanks again!

11 hours ago, Nightrestr said:

Hi everyone!

Hi I am also considering accepting an offer from Scripps. I am actually a bio major working on cancer biology and it's so interesting since I actually think the research at Scripps is very chem oriented in contrast to what the chemists think on this forum. But I would say Scripps is highly regarded by many chem bio people I have encountered during the interview days and their research on HIV vaccines are everywhere. If you check out the bio forum you might find some people with a background in immunology/neurosciences/chembio are also applying there. 

14 hours ago, Nightrestr said:

Hi everyone!

I'm planning on accepting the offer from scripps as well! I think you just see less chemists overall applying there since their chem department essentially only has chem bio and organic people, which reduces the # of applicants from other subfields a ton. However, within both chem bio and organic I think Scripps is highly highly regarded and often ranked top 5 in both of those fields!

Hey guys! So I am currently in a dilemma between Purdue and UC Irvine for theoretical chemistry, and I am really confused! On one side UC Irvine is advantageous for me with respect to number of groups I have as an option, location and on the other hand Purdue has a better brand, better alumni network, but I might have to do some work outside my area of interest, and Purdue is located in the midwest (saying this only for the climate and closeness to the industry). Anybody here facing a similar dilemma? Please share your thoughts. Thanks in advance. 

5 minutes ago, Theoretical_Chemist said:

Hey guys! So I am currently in a dilemma between Purdue and UC Irvine for theoretical chemistry, and I am really confused! On one side UC Irvine is advantageous for me with respect to number of groups I have as an option, location and on the other hand Purdue has a better brand, better alumni network, but I might have to do some work outside my area of interest, and Purdue is located in the midwest (saying this only for the climate and closeness to the industry). Anybody here facing a similar dilemma? Please share your thoughts. Thanks in advance. 

Both are very well ranked overall. I think Purdue is really known for analytical. It kinda sounds like Irvine would fit your needs better: better location, and better groups for you (which is the most important thing). I'm from the midwest (sorta close to Purdue) and I would personally prefer UC Irvine, climate wise. All the UCs are absolutely beautiful. 

You really can't go wrong with either option, but it sounds like Irvine would fit your needs a little better. 

On 3/14/2021 at 1:42 AM, Nightrestr said:

Hi everyone!

RE Purdue and UNC over Scripps, Purdue and UNC are 1 and 2 for analytical chem.

Another thing with Scripps that I personally don't like is that they are just a grad school so you can't do things like TA. 

But overall, Scripps is AMAZING, especially for biochem. Congrats on your admission! I'm sure you'll do great things there.   

9 hours ago, Theoretical_Chemist said:

As someone who lives close to Purdue and has been to Irvine, go to California. Indiana is sad, especially if you’re not in Indianapolis. You want to be happy during your time in grad school, and that won’t be related to ranking or the program. It also sounds like it will be a better research fit for you to go to UCI.

On 3/15/2021 at 1:07 AM, Tomthegreat said:

Hi I am also considering accepting an offer from Scripps. 

On 3/15/2021 at 4:01 AM, sleechem said:

I'm planning on accepting the offer from scripps as well! 

On 3/16/2021 at 1:46 AM, ashortchemist said:

RE   

Thanks a lot, guys, for sharing your thoughts about Scripps!
I finally accepted the offer. 
Tomthegreat and sleechem, are you considering accepting to the CA campus?

11 hours ago, chemgyal99 said:

Is anyone choosing UIUC? I wanna know how people are narrowing their choices?

I'm choosing UW Madison over UIUC. I'm sure UIUC is a great school, but the students seemed...depressed...at the visit