Fall 2021

baerga

10 minutes ago, lingc35 said:

Hi, yes I was also admitted. The Director of Grad Studies requested to speak with me tonight to give me more info which I thought was intense 

Did you interview with him? He's very nice, honestly. I'm speaking with him in about 20 minutes. 

Just now, ebp said:

Did you interview with him? He's very nice, honestly. I'm speaking with him in about 20 minutes. 

Yeah I interviewed with him but it would be nice to let the moment of acceptance soak in before speaking is all haha. I guess they’re a little late in the game compared to other schools so maybe they want to provide info early. 

I’m a little overwhelmed by the amount of meetings I have and decisions I need to make. I was so unprepared to be in this position! 

Just now, lingc35 said:

Yeah I interviewed with him but it would be nice to let the moment of acceptance soak in before speaking is all haha. I guess they’re a little late in the game compared to other schools so maybe they want to provide info early. 

I’m a little overwhelmed by the amount of meetings I have and decisions I need to make. I was so unprepared to be in this position! 

No, very true, I don't blame you! I got a surprise call after my Harvard admit from my POI (we hadn't spoken on the phone previously), and I definitely flubbed that, so any time at all to prepare is so preferable. 

I don't even know how to go about deciding really, now that I'm here. 

4 minutes ago, ebp said:

No, very true, I don't blame you! I got a surprise call after my Harvard admit from my POI (we hadn't spoken on the phone previously), and I definitely flubbed that, so any time at all to prepare is so preferable. 

I don't even know how to go about deciding really, now that I'm here. 

It will be especially difficult because I feel like I would know almost immediately if I were able to attend an open house just because you get a sense of the space and the people and what it’s actually like to interact and have dinner with them etc. 

Hopefully the virtual open day activities will be somewhat helpful? I also know a lot of people who went to Columbia who can give insight but it’s kind of like blind choice almost without being able to visit 

I think I saw somewhere in this forum that Columbia wasn't waitlisting this year, but I just wanted to say that the DGS confirmed they are. I was urged to make an informed decision, but also notify them as soon as possible if I decided on another school, because they had many candidates they would have easily accepted in other years/were eager to have (he said applications increased exponentialy this year!). In my case, I was told it came down to fit: I used some Columbia faculty heavily in my thesis, I'm interested in studying elements of the Harlem renaissance so it was site-specific (I stressed this in my SOP), and a lot of different potential advisors, rather than one or two people, could contribute to my research. 

Just wanted to put that out there for anyone stressed--I would not take anything personally this year. 

Hi, congrats to all the acceptances!!

I'm wondering if anyone heard anything from Stony Brook's PhD at all. I remember the director of grad admissions told me she didn't know how many / if the would be accepting students this year so I'm starting to bite my nails a bit.

Edited by ack

6 hours ago, ack said:

Hi, congrats to all the acceptances!!

I'm wondering if anyone heard anything from Stony Brook's PhD at all. I remember the director of grad admissions told me she didn't know how many / if the would be accepting students this year so I'm starting to bite my nails a bit.

Still waiting for Stony Brook, too! Would you mind share your research interests? (mine is media art and cybernetics)

Wondering why they are soooooo delayed this year.

14 hours ago, YWei said:

Still waiting for Stony Brook, too! Would you mind share your research interests? (mine is media art and cybernetics)

Wondering why they are soooooo delayed this year.

Of course! I'm focusing on new technology within the terms of the history of film (mostly from the mid-80's onwards).

Your interests sound like a great fit for the program, best of luck to you!!

I saw that the philosophy department had over 130 applications this year and only 4 spots, so maybe something similar happened with art history and they need more time to sift through apps? I am considering reaching out to my POI because I have another offer. 

On 2/17/2021 at 10:42 PM, ebp said:

I think I saw somewhere in this forum that Columbia wasn't waitlisting this year, but I just wanted to say that the DGS confirmed they are. I was urged to make an informed decision, but also notify them as soon as possible if I decided on another school, because they had many candidates they would have easily accepted in other years/were eager to have (he said applications increased exponentialy this year!). In my case, I was told it came down to fit: I used some Columbia faculty heavily in my thesis, I'm interested in studying elements of the Harlem renaissance so it was site-specific (I stressed this in my SOP), and a lot of different potential advisors, rather than one or two people, could contribute to my research. 

Just wanted to put that out there for anyone stressed--I would not take anything personally this year. 

Hi, I was just wondering whether after having spoken to the Department at Columbia you’re feeling in any way more inclined towards going there rather than Harvard? asking out of curiosity, since as a Harvard waitlisted candidate I’m trying to assess my chances lol

23 hours ago, luc.ien said:

Hi, I was just wondering whether after having spoken to the Department at Columbia you’re feeling in any way more inclined towards going there rather than Harvard? asking out of curiosity, since as a Harvard waitlisted candidate I’m trying to assess my chances lol

I could see myself choosing either at this point, but a lot is still up in the air for me, so I really couldn't say with certainty yet. 

On 2/17/2021 at 1:02 PM, anitazia said:

Hi everyone I hope you all get into the Schools you’ve been dreaming of! Has anyone been accepted to The Courtauld?? I wanted to make a chat on instagram or Facebook! 

Hi! Would love to join this too

Anyone considering deferring the offer for a year? It seems that the size of entering cohort this year has been significantly reduced, which would have a huge impact on the sense of community of the class. The pandemic situation is uncertain as well...

6 minutes ago, dtu said:

Anyone considering deferring the offer for a year? It seems that the size of entering cohort this year has been significantly reduced, which would have a huge impact on the sense of community of the class. The pandemic situation is uncertain as well...

That's actually a really interesting idea--I hadn't thought of how a small incoming class would impact the sense of community. Just "bumping" this in case anyone wants to chime in.

7 hours ago, dtu said:

I’ve been thinking about it. The problem is, universities would be rather distraught to have their intake even more reduced. So from what I heard from my friends in academia, the most competitive institutions are far less likely to approve of deferrals this year. And the next year is expected to be equally competitive/out of norm 

17 hours ago, dtu said:

I agree with @luc.ien. I thought about this, but I think it is very far from certain that it would be any different/better next year.

9 hours ago, Salihch said:

Did anyone hear from NYU–IFA PhD? I had my interview on Feb-2. I contacted with POIs, and they said the decision would come out by the last of this month. This anxiety is killing me. 

Did mine on the 4th and I haven't heard back either. 3-4 weeks seems to be the standard wait time based on the results page. Good luck! 

On 2/20/2021 at 1:15 AM, ack said:

Of course! I'm focusing on new technology within the terms of the history of film (mostly from the mid-80's onwards).

Your interests sound like a great fit for the program, best of luck to you!!

I saw that the philosophy department had over 130 applications this year and only 4 spots, so maybe something similar happened with art history and they need more time to sift through apps? I am considering reaching out to my POI because I have another offer. 

Yep, from the result page, I guess maybe the decision will come out in early March.

Have you contacted your POI? I would be grateful if you could share some news from the department. Many thanks.

Hello! Many congratulations everyone!

I know maybe not a super popular program but wondering if anyone has applied and heard from University of Oregon for PhD?

Edited by laaru

Anyone else hear back from the IFA? I was just notified that I'm on the waitlist. I was honestly expecting a rejection, since I feel like my interview didn't go so well.  I'm not sure if I'll get off the waitlist and even if I do, I'm not sure I'll get a financial package as generous as I've gotten from other programs. That being said, I've gotten this far and I'll take that as a sign that I've been doing something right!