School Psychology PhD 2021

ctrsca

On 1/13/2021 at 8:27 PM, JakiraJakira said:

I got a phone call yesterday asking if I was indeed applying to their School Psychology PhD program. 
I said yes and the program director said that they would be inviting me to an interview in February. They said they would be sending out invites soon. 

Have you received your invitation yet?

Did anyone at the Berkeley interview hear anything about timeline/if other candidates are still being considered? Also what did folks think about the South Carolina interview? Would love feedback for moral support :) Interview season has left me so antsy- I hope everyone is holding up well!

A grad student I know sent me this about grad school interviews and wanted to share it with others too! Good luck on your interviews and if you're still waiting to hear back, hopefully you'll hear something soon!

https://github.com/SavannahRoberts/GradSchoolInterviewsWebinar/blob/main/Webinar_PreparingforInterviews.pdf

1 hour ago, mardou said:

A grad student I know sent me this about grad school interviews and wanted to share it with others too! Good luck on your interviews and if you're still waiting to hear back, hopefully you'll hear something soon!

https://github.com/SavannahRoberts/GradSchoolInterviewsWebinar/blob/main/Webinar_PreparingforInterviews.pdf

Congrats on getting accepted into Michigan State! Did you interview earlier this month and they recently got back to you?

8 minutes ago, JakiraJakira said:

Congrats on getting accepted into Michigan State! Did you interview earlier this month and they recently got back to you?

Thanks! I had my interview last Friday and she called me today about my acceptance. I previously met with my PI two times (informal meeting and preliminary interview) before the interview so I think the interview day was just a formality. 

Hello all!

Glad to hear all the support and shared fears lol!

Has anyone heard from UT Austin's program?? The website said interview invitations would go out early-mid January. Now that it's the 19th, I'm freaking out that maybe I didn't make the cut! ?

Any insight is appreciated! Thank you!

Edited by BlubbyWubby
missed a word

11 hours ago, mardou said:

Thanks! I had my interview last Friday and she called me today about my acceptance. I previously met with my PI two times (informal meeting and preliminary interview) before the interview so I think the interview day was just a formality. 

That is awesome! Hope you get more acceptances soon especially from your top choice!

Edited by JakiraJakira

Good morning everyone! 

I was considering applying to UNC by Feb 9th deadline. I saw a lot of mixed discussion on here about the program. I was just curious about what some of the main pros/cons would be of this program? 

Edited by Southwestteacher

4 hours ago, Southwestteacher said:

Good morning everyone! 

I was considering applying to UNC by Feb 9th deadline. I saw a lot of mixed discussion on here about the program. I was just curious about what some of the main pros/cons would be of this program? 

I gathered from the website that it can be completed in less time than a traditional school psych PhD, especially if you are entering with a related masters. They have 2 deadlines- one for priority financial consideration (scholarships, assistantships, etc) and then a later deadline where funding is possible but not as likely. 

I know some people are irked about them holding the open house after technically contacting some top candidates already, but to clear things up (I spoke with a professor) they had not sent out offers at that point, just scheduled some interviews. From my understanding they may possibly make some offers before the feb 9 deadline so you’d possibly have lower than the program’s (10% I think it was) admission odds by applying later but it’s still possible to get in.

Hope that helps. Good luck in your decision! 

11 hours ago, The_Garnet_Comet said:

Does anyone know if its common to have multiple PIs interview with one candidate at a school?

I think it's common to interview with multiple PIs (from my experience). I think they have each candidate meet with at least two PIs that have similar interests (even if you didn't mention them in your SOP) just so that in case one PI has other candidates that they prefer then there is a possibility that the other PI will be willing to take you as their graduate student. At least that's what I think their reasoning is lol.

Just got a rejection letter from U Minnesota PhD program. A little sad, but definitely saw it coming! Best of luck to everybody else this cycle, I hope you all hear great news soon!!

13 hours ago, The_Garnet_Comet said:

Does anyone know if its common to have multiple PIs interview with one candidate at a school?

It is very common! It is even common to have multiple interviews with non-POI faculty. 

I'll add what my interviews this season have been and are scheduled to be.

Indiana U: Interviews with 1 student and 3 faculty members (1 non-POI). Q&A session with multiple students and other prospective applicants

Ohio State: 30 minute interview with 2 faculty at the same time, 15 minute interview with current student

University of Wisconsin-Madison: Interview with 1 current student and 6 faculty members (4 non-POI), 2 info sessions and 1 current student Q&A spread across a whole day 9 am to 6 pm. 

University at Buffalo: 2 30 minute interviews with 2 faculty. 1 with top POI and another with chair of program (non-poi). My secondary POI is not interviewing me. Q&A session with current students. 

University of Cincinnati: 3 hour interview day with at least 2 faculty and 1 student, no info yet on who I am interviewing with. 

UMass-Boston: 4 hour interview day, interviews with at least 3 faculty and 1 student. No info on who yet. 

Kent State: 1 hour interview session with 2 faculty (POIs) and 1 student. 

12 hours ago, Schoolpsych921 said:

I have my first interview this week!! How are interviews going for you all? I’m getting so excited and nervous for it!

I had my first interviews Mon-Wed this week (with Indiana spread across a few days since I can't attend the interview day). They were supposed to be 15 minutes but one went to an hour ! Just be yourself and ask good questions. They will spend most of the time talking if you ask good questions and follow-ups to show you are interested. That will show them more then their hard questions. 

Good luck with your interviews!

Edited by JakiraJakira