School Psychology PhD 2021

ctrsca

12 minutes ago, schoolpsychinprogress said:

Ladies, what is everyone wearing to virtual interviews? Washington’s interview is split into 2 days, first with students and other staff, and second with core faculty. I’m thinking a nice blouse for the student/staff one and a blazer for the faculty? Very new at dressing professionally ?

My interviews are all one day long. I’m just going to wear a nice neutral solid print blouse with a blazer! I think your idea is good!

14 minutes ago, schoolpsychinprogress said:

Ladies, what is everyone wearing to virtual interviews? Washington’s interview is split into 2 days, first with students and other staff, and second with core faculty. I’m thinking a nice blouse for the student/staff one and a blazer for the faculty? Very new at dressing professionally ?

I think that sounds good! Definitely more formal for the faculty day. Also what are thoughts on nose piercings? I should probably just take it out for the interview right?!

I read this from a faculty member somewhere here. 

I would just test out outfits on Zoom and see what works best, as most schools will still probably expect professional attire. 

Procrastinating faculty member here :). I agree with the above, although I think this year we will cut you all some slack - we know that Zoom fatigue is real, and that being physically comfortable can help with that. I personally will be completely fine with a dress shirt or nice cardigan over a blouse, rather than a full blazer. To add, though, please consider taking some time to make sure your Zoom setup avoids some common problems. To wit:

1. The (other) halo effect. It's especially important during an interview to make sure that your face is adequately lit and that there isn't a strong light (sunny window or artificial lighting) behind you that makes you a silhouette. It's hard enough to get personality across via Zoom, and being able to clearly see your face helps a lot. No need for a fancy setup, just make sure to test your lighting at multiple points of the day and adjust accordingly.

2. Framing. This is tricky, I realize, but it's helpful for a lot of us to be able to view body language from more than just a disembodied head :). Think about the news anchor frame and try to approximate that. This also has to do with angles - if you're sitting directly in front of a laptop looking down (or up) at it, depending on the distance it can look like a looming face. Also test run your attire to make sure that the camera angle doesn't reveal anything you don't want it to reveal.

3. Eye candy. I don't judge anyone's Zoom space decor or similar (unless it is obviously inappropriate), however I have been distracted by items within view. So just check that your artwork, doodads, books, etc., are not distracting or overly cluttered, even if they're really cool. As with your professional attire, the goal is to make sure you and your ideas are the focus.

4. Props. Obvious prop placement, like making sure your copy of the DSM-5 or "Discovering Statistics Using R" is clearly viewable, are amusement-inducing, but not actually helpful. Also, many folks use their bookshelves as background - nice choice, but please make sure the titles are all appropriate, and that you don't inadvertently reveal an interest in some psychological area/approach that is inconsistent with the program to which you're applying. We can't help it - we WILL read legible titles.

5. Pets. I love 'em. Can't get enough of them, and to my mind pets are exempt from Item 2 above, but not sure everyone would agree. That said, we understand if you get a visit during our meeting :).

Thank you for your posts, all - I'm trying to anticipate applicants' anxieties so we can try to mitigate them during the interviews, and your opinions and questions are helpful. Good luck!

UGA details email from current student: 

1. Your day will consist of one-on-one interviews with the faculty member(s) with whom you are interested in working, group interviews with the other faculty (1 faculty member meets with multiple applicants), a tour of our clinic, and meetings/hangouts with current students.
      1. Regarding Zoom, you'll be given a total of three links: one for faculty interviews, one for hangouts with current students, and one for a tour of our clinic. Everyone will have a personalized schedule to reference, and you'll be responsible for alternating between the three links at the appropriate times. Placement in breakout rooms with specific faculty members will be handled on our end, so there's no need to worry about juggling any additional logistics.

I have a flag of my current undergrad school in the background for my Zoom calls would this be helpful to keep up for interviews? I'm at a top ten university now and I think it could be helpful for faculty to remember me better and be able to visually connect my face to my resume but I'm wondering if there is any potential reason not to do this. I had it up when I met with a current student from a school psych PhD program and it ended up being super helpful because she knew a professor that I was interested in that works in my home state and told me to reach out to her and mention that I knew her since she had previously worked with her. Any thoughts are appreciated! 

22 minutes ago, Sunkay123 said:

I have a flag of my current undergrad school in the background for my Zoom calls would this be helpful to keep up for interviews? I'm at a top ten university now and I think it could be helpful for faculty to remember me better and be able to visually connect my face to my resume but I'm wondering if there is any potential reason not to do this. I had it up when I met with a current student from a school psych PhD program and it ended up being super helpful because she knew a professor that I was interested in that works in my home state and told me to reach out to her and mention that I knew her since she had previously worked with her. Any thoughts are appreciated! 

Do you mean behind you in your room or behind you using the virtual background feature on zoom? The virtual background thing might be seen as bragging though since it might seem like you are trying to brag about your undergrad schools ranking (ivy leagues are often seen as bragging territory in interviews) I have been told to avoid anything that might seem arrogant or overly braggart about experience in interviews so it's kind of a gray area. 

I have a flag of my university and a rainbow pride flag right behind my desk. That would probably be fine and help you connect with professors you are interviewing with. 

2 minutes ago, JakiraJakira said:

Do you mean behind you in your room or behind you using the virtual background feature on zoom? The virtual background thing might be seen as bragging though since it might seem like you are trying to brag about your undergrad schools ranking (ivy leagues are often seen as bragging territory in interviews) I have been told to avoid anything that might seem arrogant or overly braggart about experience in interviews so it's kind of a gray area. 

I have a flag of my university and a rainbow pride flag right behind my desk. That would probably be fine and help you connect with professors you are interviewing with. 

I'm not at an ivy it's a public school, but It's hanging on the wall behind me in my room and it's not too big. I definitely see what you're saying though. Thanks for the feedback! 

Any tips for not being extremely nervous for interviews? Even when I have a casual zoom with somebody I still get super anxious and I feel like I mess up things I am definitely normally calm and confident about, just because I'm so anxious to get it right and make a good impression. Specifically, today I have a zoom with 2 current students and it's been a very casual set-up, explicitly not something I should freak out about... but guess who's freaking out! (Hint: it's me.)

15 hours ago, Southwestteacher said:

I think that sounds good! Definitely more formal for the faculty day. Also what are thoughts on nose piercings? I should probably just take it out for the interview right?!

I read this from a faculty member somewhere here. 

I would just test out outfits on Zoom and see what works best, as most schools will still probably expect professional attire. 

Procrastinating faculty member here :). I agree with the above, although I think this year we will cut you all some slack - we know that Zoom fatigue is real, and that being physically comfortable can help with that. I personally will be completely fine with a dress shirt or nice cardigan over a blouse, rather than a full blazer. To add, though, please consider taking some time to make sure your Zoom setup avoids some common problems. To wit:

1. The (other) halo effect. It's especially important during an interview to make sure that your face is adequately lit and that there isn't a strong light (sunny window or artificial lighting) behind you that makes you a silhouette. It's hard enough to get personality across via Zoom, and being able to clearly see your face helps a lot. No need for a fancy setup, just make sure to test your lighting at multiple points of the day and adjust accordingly.

2. Framing. This is tricky, I realize, but it's helpful for a lot of us to be able to view body language from more than just a disembodied head :). Think about the news anchor frame and try to approximate that. This also has to do with angles - if you're sitting directly in front of a laptop looking down (or up) at it, depending on the distance it can look like a looming face. Also test run your attire to make sure that the camera angle doesn't reveal anything you don't want it to reveal.

3. Eye candy. I don't judge anyone's Zoom space decor or similar (unless it is obviously inappropriate), however I have been distracted by items within view. So just check that your artwork, doodads, books, etc., are not distracting or overly cluttered, even if they're really cool. As with your professional attire, the goal is to make sure you and your ideas are the focus.

4. Props. Obvious prop placement, like making sure your copy of the DSM-5 or "Discovering Statistics Using R" is clearly viewable, are amusement-inducing, but not actually helpful. Also, many folks use their bookshelves as background - nice choice, but please make sure the titles are all appropriate, and that you don't inadvertently reveal an interest in some psychological area/approach that is inconsistent with the program to which you're applying. We can't help it - we WILL read legible titles.

5. Pets. I love 'em. Can't get enough of them, and to my mind pets are exempt from Item 2 above, but not sure everyone would agree. That said, we understand if you get a visit during our meeting :).

Thank you for your posts, all - I'm trying to anticipate applicants' anxieties so we can try to mitigate them during the interviews, and your opinions and questions are helpful. Good luck!

Thank you for sharing! This is super helpful. I have a nose piercing too - I'm just switching my hoop out for a tiny gold stud. It's really hard to even see across screens and I've been told it kind of looks like a freckle (I have tons of freckles lol). I just worry about taking it out and having it close up, since mine is relatively new. I think a small stud would be fine though!

I have two very loud puppies, so I'll be going to my grandparents' house for my Zoom interviews. I'm gonna stop by this weekend and test out different rooms/lighting and make sure Zoom works on their computer. I do have a copy of the book written by my POI, but I think since the house I'll be interviewing from will very clearly not be my office/study space, it would just look like I'm trying to show off if I have it on the desk or anything. We'll see.

For anyone going to UNC's virtual visit tomorrow, how, if at all, are you preparing? I'm not sure if we will have many chances to talk with faculty or if it's more of just an information session. I got the itinerary they emailed today and saw that there are program breakout sessions but I'm not sure what these entail. 

1 hour ago, Sunkay123 said:

For anyone going to UNC's virtual visit tomorrow, how, if at all, are you preparing? I'm not sure if we will have many chances to talk with faculty or if it's more of just an information session. I got the itinerary they emailed today and saw that there are program breakout sessions but I'm not sure what these entail. 

Spoke with PIs in the program and they don't think there will really be time for any real 1on1 sort of interactions. Maybe some questions at the end, but thats all.

6 hours ago, Psychdreams42 said:

Has anyone received an invite from Kent State?

I got a phone call yesterday asking if I was indeed applying to their School Psychology PhD program. 
I said yes and the program director said that they would be inviting me to an interview in February. They said they would be sending out invites soon. 

7 hours ago, Sunkay123 said:

I think there will be a student panel so I was going to prepare a few questions for students/faculty just in case there is time for questions. 

On 1/13/2021 at 11:34 AM, Sunkay123 said:

should I assume that if I did not get an email about doing a virtual visit tomorrow that they aren't interested in my application? 

41 minutes ago, justtryingtopsych said:

should I assume that if I did not get an email about doing a virtual visit tomorrow that they aren't interested in my application? 

UNC’s deadline is February 9th. 
I don’t know of any schools that invite people for interviews and disqualify others before the deadline. 
It sounds like an info session. As most of us have applied to programs in December we probably had the chance to go to those in November. 

First rejection! University of Maryland. 
I’m just lucky it was #7 in my ranking and not higher. Rejection before interviews is pretty scary for my other apps but makes sense since my research match wasn’t perfect there.