School Psychology PhD 2021

ctrsca

On 1/19/2021 at 8:46 PM, BlubbyWubby said:

Hello all!

Glad to hear all the support and shared fears lol!

Has anyone heard from UT Austin's program?? The website said interview invitations would go out early-mid January. Now that it's the 19th, I'm freaking out that maybe I didn't make the cut! ?

Any insight is appreciated! Thank you!

Hey there! I applied to UT Austin's program as well (PhD) and recently received an email that very few faculty were accepting for their doctoral program this year, but they wanted to invite me to interview for their MA/SSP program instead. Interview date is Feb 5th, so it's possible that you just haven't received an interview email yet / that your application is still in review. I don't think it was a mass email, but I can't be sure. Best of luck to you!!

15 minutes ago, SchoolPsychYogi said:

Hi everyone!

I have a group interview coming up for a PsyD program. Has anyone done a group interview? Hoping to get more information about your experience, what they may be looking for, and how to stand out.

Hope everyone is crushing their interviews!

Is your interview with multiple faculty or multiple prospective students?

5 minutes ago, SchoolPsychYogi said:

I think it is with other prospective students because we have the same interview day scheduled. 

Ah. I can't say I am familiar with that type of interview. I did receive advice from my advisor that during interviews with multiple faculty members it is important to make sure to address a question to a particular faculty member, or that the question is directed at both of them. If you do not they may be confused as to who it is directed towards amongst themselves and pause a bit before responding. 

Best of luck!

43 minutes ago, sch_psych said:

Hey there! I applied to UT Austin's program as well (PhD) and recently received an email that very few faculty were accepting for their doctoral program this year, but they wanted to invite me to interview for their MA/SSP program instead. Interview date is Feb 5th, so it's possible that you just haven't received an interview email yet / that your application is still in review. I don't think it was a mass email, but I can't be sure. Best of luck to you!!

Oh heavens! Thank you for the reply! I hope I hear from them either way this week or next. Good luck on your interview!!

3 hours ago, SchoolPsychYogi said:

Hi everyone!

I have a group interview coming up for a PsyD program. Has anyone done a group interview? Hoping to get more information about your experience, what they may be looking for, and how to stand out.

Hope everyone is crushing their interviews!

Hi! I also have group interviews tomorrow where multiple applicants are in the meeting with one PI but they are only 20 minutes long so I'm also wondering how this is going to work. 

6 minutes ago, Sunkay123 said:

Hi! I also have group interviews tomorrow where multiple applicants are in the meeting with one PI but they are only 20 minutes long so I'm also wondering how this is going to work. 

I’m going to the UGA interview tomorrow too! Those group interviews have me kinda nervous too. I’m thinking them only being 20 minutes will make it  better and more concise and get to the point? We won’t know until tomorrow so I’m just trying to go with the flow. Good luck tomorrow! 

4 minutes ago, rachaelpfanz said:

I’m going to the UGA interview tomorrow too! Those group interviews have me kinda nervous too. I’m thinking them only being 20 minutes will make it  better and more concise and get to the point? We won’t know until tomorrow so I’m just trying to go with the flow. Good luck tomorrow! 

Keep me updated @Sunkay123! Best of luck to the both of you :)

11 minutes ago, rachaelpfanz said:

Good luck to you too! I agree, having them shorter might make it less stressful.

21 hours ago, turtlet123 said:

Has anyone heard back from NC State yet? I am getting nervous because in past years interview invites had already been sent out at this time.. 

I haven't heard anything either. I have been obsessively checking the interview invite list, and no one posted about it on there either. I'm really hoping they are just slower this year or something 

On 1/21/2021 at 1:40 PM, SchoolPsychYogi said:

Keep me updated @Sunkay123! Best of luck to the both of you :)

The group interviews weren't bad at all! They were actually more of a place for the applicants to ask their questions so definitely have an extensive list of questions for faculty other than your PI and for grad students. For all three of my group interviews today there were only 2-3 other applicants in the meeting and we introduced ourselves then spent the rest of the time asking the faculty member questions about the program and their lab. 

For anyone applying to UVA, did you get an email about application decisions? I just received an email to check my application status and it says that I am on the waitlist. Do you think this is just a nice rejection? I'm not sure how I could actually be on the waitlist if I didn't interview with them.

9 minutes ago, rachaelpfanz said:

Did anyone at the UGA interview today hear when we should expect to hear back?

They're meeting after the make-up interviews on Monday. I was told by the end of next week is when decisions will most likely be given out.

Hope everyone had a great time hanging out! I was really nervous but am hoping that I get into my dream program. Good luck!

9 hours ago, jdole said:

I haven't heard anything either. I have been obsessively checking the interview invite list, and no one posted about it on there either. I'm really hoping they are just slower this year or something 

I emailed one of the professors to ask where they were in the review process and she said they would be sending invites in the next few days! So I don't think anyone has heard yet. I was nervous too because their website says they will reach out in the first two weeks of January so I guess they were just a bit delayed. 

9 hours ago, jdole said:

Also, sorry to quote you again, but where is the interview invite list posted?

Hey all!

So I am a senior at UIUC and have applied to a couple of school psychology programs. Today I received some news that I have gotten an interview extended to me by Illinois State, so that is pretty exciting. I also had an open house, virtually, with Eastern Illinois University today. However, I am having some doubts about myself. Has anyone felt that when they see their competition (as I met some of the people at the open house and heard their stories) that they are not as special or should be in the position that they are at?

I would love some interview advice, just general advice on how to keep your head up in a competitive world, or on graduate school admissions and the chance of getting in if offered an interview!

13 minutes ago, ndhafner said:

Hey all!

So I am a senior at UIUC and have applied to a couple of school psychology programs. Today I received some news that I have gotten an interview extended to me by Illinois State, so that is pretty exciting. I also had an open house, virtually, with Eastern Illinois University today. However, I am having some doubts about myself. Has anyone felt that when they see their competition (as I met some of the people at the open house and heard their stories) that they are not as special or should be in the position that they are at?

I would love some interview advice, just general advice on how to keep your head up in a competitive world, or on graduate school admissions and the chance of getting in if offered an interview!

I'm with you right there. EVERYONE can feel like they have Impostor Syndrome, especially in this process. The reality is that yeah, some people will be more "competitive" than you. They could have all the experience and the top GRE scores and they'll be highly sought after, and they should be because they probably worked their ass off to get there. Those people are relatively rare, and it never guarantees fit.

Fit is important. The school that accepts you will be your fit. Fit changes from program to program, and is as much about you as it is about the school. The nature of this forum and the internet (hello social media) will attempt to trick you into believing everyone is better than you are, they get what they want, and when you don't, it makes you feel bad. You never see your friends post a picture of the worst day they've had this week on Instagram.

School psychologists should know better than to promote competition, because it doesn't work in schools, and positive reinforcement is the driving factor behind the best outcomes. Your fit will lift you up, give you everything you need to succeed, and your peers will garner the same benefits through collaboration. We are all in this together.

Today, during my interview with my dream school, I felt like I fit. You will feel the same at your dream school.