SSHRC Doctoral 2020-2021

farhsa8

2 minutes ago, Generic_Applicant said:

Yeah I mean the whole point is that it's not really supposed to be subjective lol and SSHRC is more competitive than provincial, so it seems odd. But you're right in that the subjectivity of it is unavoidable but still frustrating 

Subjectivity can play a big role if you are close to the cut off. 

1 minute ago, Slow Poke said:

2 in 1, I guess. 1028 people got in out of 2300+ applicants.

That's once you've made it to the federal level. Their full acceptance rates are different and on their website.e I  wonder if the 27% for FRQSC is from the moment you submit your app in Oct but that process isnt multi layered like federal. 

1 minute ago, Generic_Applicant said:

Makes sense. She was at the cut off for both.

Also, if it also comes down to the field this person was applying in. If it were, for instance, Psychology, then SSHRC would be skewed in her favor. Around 15-20% of all SSHRC goes to Psychology.

I am not sure about FRQSC.

2 minutes ago, Generic_Applicant said:

Ah thought you knew the numbers since you said FRQSC is lower

And I didn't say that FRQSC is more competitive. I said its increasingly competitive since last year. It might be due to the fact that international students can now apply which is not the case with SSHRC. 

1 minute ago, rimbaldienne said:

And I didn't say that FRQSC is more competitive. I said its increasingly competitive since last year. It might be due to the fact that international students can now apply which is not the case with SSHRC. 

Ya everything get's increasingly competitive.. It's rough ? 

43 minutes ago, rimbaldienne said:

are international students and domestic students given equal chances? or does it work like OGS where only a small amount of scholarships are handed to international students?

1 minute ago, MarleyBarley said:

are international students and domestic students given equal chances? or does it work like OGS where only a small amount of scholarships are handed to international students?

There is no quota for international students with the FRQ so chances are equal. 

I got sshrc doctoral fellowship (four years $80000) with 16.56/20. I’m a little bit disappointed as I was expecting to get CGS-D, but still feel grateful. I have more than 10 conference presentations, 3 publications (two first authors), many TAships, a few provincial awards, 90% GPA. I think it’s probably because of my proposal, maybe the committee members didn’t like my research so much. I also have another Graduate degree before  I attended my current school. Not sure If this also affected my scores.

3 hours ago, seeveeargh said:

@maverick__I hope I'm correct for your sake, too!

I'll be studying in Canada (Manitoba, specifically). I've been working 9-5 office jobs since finishing my MA in 2018 and oh my god I can't take it anymore -- so excited to return to academia!

What about you?

That's exciting! Congratulations on heading back to the world of academia. I'm in the US, currently in the first year of my program :)

Hi folks! I got my results Wednesday around 8:30pm EST. The system said that the letters were uploaded 6 days prior, with the award results uploaded 4 hours before the system notified me that they were ready to view. 

Our department admin has yet to receive the results. When I emailed them asking about my overall funding package they had indicated that they have not been notified by the awards office about successful candidates. 

While I’m sure some departments may have results from students, I do think it’s a rarity. So be mindful when emailing them seeking results. They do so much and their offices are always under supported. 

4 hours ago, MarleyBarley said:

I’ve heard that this year international students have a better chance of holding OGS because of COVID preventing international students from returning home. 

On 4/29/2021 at 8:53 AM, CANADAMGMT said:

Also, can SSHRC Doctoral Fellows hold an OGS too? This would mean the same value of a CGS-D

Wondering if you got an answer on this? I know you can’t hold OGS and SSHRC at the same time. I currently have OGS with a final funds release in May, but I don’t know if I can take the last $5,000 with my SSHRC funding starting in May?

3 hours ago, ColdCoffee said:

Wondering if you got an answer on this? I know you can’t hold OGS and SSHRC at the same time. I currently have OGS with a final funds release in May, but I don’t know if I can take the last $5,000 with my SSHRC funding starting in May?

As you note - you cannot hold the two together. Therefore, if you wish to commence your SSHRC award from May this year, you will have to forego the final installment of OGS. Unless there are pressing reasons, it would be best if you begin the SSHRC award from Fall 2021.

2 hours ago, Slow Poke said:

As you note - you cannot hold the two together. Therefore, if you wish to commence your SSHRC award from May this year, you will have to forego the final installment of OGS. Unless there are pressing reasons, it would be best if you begin the SSHRC award from Fall 2021.

Thank you! That’s what I thought. :)

16 hours ago, NewPhDStudent said:

Is anyone still waiting for results? I'm curious whether others in my department have heard yet but I feel awkward to ask in case it wasn't good news

It really seems like everyone was notified Wednesday night.  

19 hours ago, NewPhDStudent said:

Is anyone still waiting for results? I'm curious whether others in my department have heard yet but I feel awkward to ask in case it wasn't good news

I'm still waiting very (im)patiently! Although if I don't hear back by the end of the week I will be tracking down someone's personal number and making a home visit to demand information ? Did you receive the heart attack email?

3 hours ago, cpigeon said:

It says there's not an account associated with my email! I guess I continue to suffer!!