2021 Acceptance Thread

HomoLudens

I have not heard anything from UVA and UCONN (their acceptance, rejection and waitlist have been sent out). Is there anyone in the same boat? or anyone have some information about these Uni?

Also, I haven't heard anything from Saint Louis University and UC santa barbara. As far as I know, SLU only sent out one or two acceptance, and UC santa barbara sent out acceptance and some rejections but many who got accepted turned down their offers. Anyone have some information about these Uni? 

3 hours ago, Absurd'sTheWord said:

I was rejected from UConn on March 10th (via both email and portal) and was waitlisted at Saint Louis University (via email) last night (March 16th). I would solicit UConn at this point and give it a couple of days for SLU. Best of luck. 

Thank you for your answer! I was waitlisted at SLU too! Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

First, with less than 3 weeks to go in this cycle, I find it annoying that I have 9 applications still pending. It seems crazy that a program requires 4 months to review applications. At the very least, this is inconsiderate to graduate students and supports the idea for systemic change to the application process. 

Second, despite my lack of knowledge of the ins-and-outs of the application process, I tend to agree with an earlier post on this thread--movement on the waitlist begins to occur (rapidly) once NYU, Princeton, and other top 10 programs release their decisions (and have their prospective student week). This leads me to my questions. Why has there not been any movement yet if the top programs have released their decisions? Am I missing something? 

I am waitlisted at Miami, Nebraska, Purdue, and Utah. Any insight into potential movements at these programs is welcomed!!!

1 hour ago, Larry David said:

First, with less than 3 weeks to go in this cycle, I find it annoying that I have 9 applications still pending. It seems crazy that a program requires 4 months to review applications. At the very least, this is inconsiderate to graduate students and supports the idea for systemic change to the application process. 

Second, despite my lack of knowledge of the ins-and-outs of the application process, I tend to agree with an earlier post on this thread--movement on the waitlist begins to occur (rapidly) once NYU, Princeton, and other top 10 programs release their decisions (and have their prospective student week). This leads me to my questions. Why has there not been any movement yet if the top programs have released their decisions? Am I missing something? 

I am waitlisted at Miami, Nebraska, Purdue, and Utah. Any insight into potential movements at these programs is welcomed!!!

I can really only speculate.  I suspect that this delay may [note: MAY !!!] be a result of the departments in these universities having to wait for information on the funding and number of spots they can offer this year.  In fact, a couple of universities accepted applications, but then sent out letter expressing that they cannot admit any PhD students this cycle.  Humanities departments are really being squeezed lately.  Yes, it seems wrong for them to have even accepted applications and the associated fees under such conditions.  But what else would one expect unless it is the case that the department itself was waiting to hear back about funding and placement #s?

Still, it is amazing that you still have 9 applications out there with just three weeks to go.  I am no rocket surgeon, but probabilistically speaking, I'd say that you are certainly on some waitlists and have very good odds.  I was on only 1 waitlist last year.  If I were on 9, I would have felt pretty optimistic.  It looks like you are going to have some eventful days within the next few weeks.  Best of luck to you! 

2 hours ago, Larry David said:

Hey @Larry David I totally get the frustration! I'm also on a number of waitlists at schools that I'm have yet hear back from, so I'm right there with you. My understanding is that most movement on the waitlist occurs in the weeks between Princeton/NYU's visiting days (i.e., later this week) and April 15th, so just continue to hang tight for now. You should start seeing movement in approx. 1-1.5 weeks. Wishing you the best of luck! 

On 3/28/2021 at 8:27 PM, Larry David said:

Hi Larry. I am waite-listed in Miami too. Also in Syracuse and Missouri. Plus waiting to hear from Saint Louis, Kent, and Keele. I think they will send out the results within the two coming weeks. Hope you'll hear good news very soon!

Just to expand on eleatics' point briefly, my impression is that folks accepted at top programs tend not to make decisions until pretty close to the deadline. Part of it is that visit events for top programs don't tend to happen until last week of March / first week of April. Part of it is that folks at top programs very often have good options to choose between. And top programs are (again, in my anecdotal experience) not at all interested in rushing decisions. 

10 hours ago, Larry David said:

Can anyone claim that acceptance from York University (Canada)? 

I went to check the portal myself and it says that my application is still under review. Perhaps they are sending out the acceptances in batches?

On 3/31/2021 at 9:43 AM, EsseEstPoop said:

I went to check the portal myself and it says that my application is still under review. Perhaps they are sending out the acceptances in batches?

I hope so but this may be too optimistic. In other words, we both might be screwed! 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, pinkgradient said:

Accepted to the University of North Carolina: Chapel Hill off the waitlist. Got a lovely call from Thomas Hofweber at work. 

Congratulations.  This is a great university!  Go celebrate yourself.  ? ? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/11/2021 at 7:08 PM, pinkgradient said:

Accepted to the University of North Carolina: Chapel Hill off the waitlist. Got a lovely call from Thomas Hofweber at work. 

Congrats! I was looking to apply to the PhD in Epidemiology program in Fall 2022. Can you give me some insight on the application process and how competitive it is or what they look for?

11 hours ago, ccomotti00 said:

Congrats! I was looking to apply to the PhD in Epidemiology program in Fall 2022. Can you give me some insight on the application process and how competitive it is or what they look for?

Like Marcus_Aurelius said, this is the philosophy forum, so I'm not sure if my experiences will be super useful to STEM students. My impression is that admissions for humanities programs (and especially philosophy) are a bit more competitive than other fields. Maybe this is due to funding differences, IDK. I also think the structure of a philosophy PhD differs a lot from one in the sciences; the system of lab groups and PIs does not really have an analog in any humanities program.