2021 Acceptance Thread

HomoLudens

3 hours ago, Adaff456 said:

Do decline in haste if you can! 

I am on the waitlist along with Larry David. 

As a person experiencing the same anxiety about admissions, I understand what you might be feeling. I want to also illuminate the chain reaction/domino effect of this process. Those who have been admitted at one place, may also (most likely) be waitlisted at other places. Take for example, student A is on waitlist from school X. student B has been admitted to school X and waitlisted at school Y. And student C has been admitted at school Y and waitlisted at school Z. And so the connections continue. Therefore, each one of us is depending on other students to accept or decline offers. So it most likely is not as easy to conclude that student B can reasonably make a decision in haste about school X. 

9 minutes ago, crazyfastskills said:

As a person experiencing the same anxiety about admissions, I understand what you might be feeling. I want to also illuminate the chain reaction/domino effect of this process. Those who have been admitted at one place, may also (most likely) be waitlisted at other places. Take for example, student A is on waitlist from school X. student B has been admitted to school X and waitlisted at school Y. And student C has been admitted at school Y and waitlisted at school Z. And so the connections continue. Therefore, each one of us is depending on other students to accept or decline offers. So it most likely is not as easy to conclude that student B can reasonably make a decision in haste about school X. 

This is so important for folks to remember. An insider tip I received from a department head is that there is a LOT of movement after NYU and Princeton have their prospective weekend, because a lot of students who are holding onto offers from some schools will be waitlisted there and desperately hoping for a spot to open up. As soon as the NYU/Princeton (and probably other top 10 schools) slots start filling up/opening up, then the domino effect can occur very quickly and for a lot of people. Especially since there is a very small group of people (about 3-5 from what I can tell) that have gotten into like 6-7 top programs, and so when these people decide which school to attend that's potentially ~30 spots that will instantly open up (presuming 5 people each decline 6 offers), and then those 30 spots will presumably lead to more spots opening up, etc. 

Edited by Happybuddha

Since some folks aren't over on FB--Harvard has started to call folks with Acceptance offers. Sounds like 4 spots this year though a few (2) may already be filled from folks that deferred last year. No word on WL numbers yet. 

18 hours ago, crazyfastskills said:

I agree and understand it’s not so simple. I am fully aware of the nexus of offers we are all anxiously operating in; thus my inclusion of the qualifier “if you can.” 

Edited by Adaff456

3 minutes ago, PHILOKEV said:

Congratulations to the unicorn who received acceptance into University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee's PhD in philosophy program, a graduating class of just 1 and growing !!!  [see results page] 

Looks like they misreported with the PhD designation--it's for the MA program (and they have 4 folks currently accepted based on the stats I tracked from FB?) ??‍♂️

@PHILOKEV @MtnDuck Oh my god that was me. I just realized I put waitlisted at PhD instead of MA ?? I'm so sorry! I don't know how to fix the results page entry. I'm assuming I can't. Well, I guess the entry will remain as my being waitlisted at an imaginary program that does not exist... 

4 minutes ago, A_bad_philosopher said:

@PHILOKEV @MtnDuck Oh my god that was me. I just realized I put waitlisted at PhD instead of MA ?? I'm so sorry! I don't know how to fix the results page entry. I'm assuming I can't. Well, I guess the entry will remain as my being waitlisted at an imaginary program that does not exist... 

Well @A_bad_philosopher, I am at the competing university in Milwaukee, but live just walking distance to UWM.  So, if you get in off of the waitlist and decide to attend, PM me and we can connect.  ?

On 3/8/2021 at 9:42 AM, user18394078 said:

Do decline in haste if you can! 

I am on the waitlist along with Larry David. 

Hey I understand the anxiety and a lot of people are in the same position, but this isn't really cool. Generally putting it out there for people to decline at a certain school is already a grey area, but asking a user directly if they can decline soon is an unfair position to put someone in and is crossing a boundary.

I don't want to sound mean because I totally understand the pressure and position you are in and no one will hold it against you, just a general note to everyone that as long as you are taking others into your considerations, everyone has the right to take the time and manage their decisions how they need to and it isn't fair or cool for anyone to be pressured to decide or make their move fast (especially asking a specific person directly).

I only say this because there are people gracious enough to share publicly their offers and where they stand which is some insight that is very useful for those anxiously waiting to hear back, but if people start getting targeted and asked to decide quickly then people will feel uncomfortable sharing this information and we won't have it anymore.

99% of people aren't jerks and know that there are people who will be affected by their decision and know to make their decision as soon as they are comfortable, so everyone deserves the time they need to be 100% sure and officially decline.

1 hour ago, semiotic_mess said:

I only say this because there are people gracious enough to share publicly their offers and where they stand which is some insight that is very useful for those anxiously waiting to hear back, but if people start getting targeted and asked to decide quickly then people will feel uncomfortable sharing this information and we won't have it anymore.

99% of people aren't jerks and know that there are people who will be affected by their decision and know to make their decision as soon as they are comfortable, so everyone deserves the time they need to be 100% sure and officially decline.

I've had a number of folks reach out to me directly when they hear back because they don't want folks to know and then be pressured to make a decision when they're trying to work through their options as best they can. But they still want the spreadsheet to be up to date so folks stay informed and have been kind enough to drop me a few lines.

As you said, the vast majority of folks won't be jerks and will decline as soon as they can. For the folks that are jerks, it's not as if pressuring them will likely make them decline from places any quicker ??‍♂️

Edited by MtnDuck

Can anyone claim that waitlist for York University PhD program? According to the spreadsheet, it appears that only MA offers have been released. I also find it unusual that they would send out waitlist offers before acceptances or rejections. However, my intuition could be wrong on this matter. 

anyone have any intel on depaul's decisions? i still have not heard back yet which i find kinda strange since their deadline was so early (jan 6th). all the programs with deadlines in the first week of jan got back to me a long time ago