MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

11 minutes ago, French_MSW said:

I definitely feel you on this. I'm a correctional social worker and have been in the social services field for 10 years. I have a 4.0 GPA, and thousands of hours of volunteer work. I hold a BA in Psych, an HBSW, and a Certificate in Criminal Justice and Criminology. 

I've applied to MSW programs for the past 5 years, and still have not been accepted. I struggle financially and live in low-income, so I can only apply to 3 schools each year since application fees and transcript fees are so high.

I'm really unsure if any other fields are like this, where 500+ people apply each year and only 30-40 get accepted. It almost makes it impossible to get in. I'm passionate about macro social work and policy and I will continue to apply to school to further my education until I get in, even if I have to keep applying for the next 15 years.

I'm trying hard not to give up. 

If you don't mind me asking, have you ever had anyone review your application and did you get a chance to review your references? Clearly you have excellent stats so I'm surprised. you want some constructive feedback from an online stranger I'd be willing to review your personal statement and resume - you can blur out any identifying info.

2 minutes ago, Geralt said:

If you don't mind me asking, have you ever had anyone review your application and did you get a chance to review your references? Clearly you have excellent stats so I'm surprised. you want some constructive feedback from an online stranger I'd be willing to review your personal statement and resume - you can blur out any identifying info.

I have had several people review my application, both written statement and resume, including individuals who have already completed the MSW programs I applied to, and one who was currently in the program. I've had multiple people who've been accepted send me their written statements as well, to compare and get an idea of what the university is looking for. One co-worker who completed her MSW at McMaster, had several major spelling and grammar mistakes in her written statement, and yet she was still accepted for the thesis program.

I'm learning that the only way to get into grad school is if you have connections.

For all my references, I have just provided the university with the emails for my references, and then they send out a link to them to submit. I have never read or reviewed any of my references letters, since they directly send them to the university via the online system.

However, I am finding out that MSW applicants are helping their references write the letters, or even writing it themselves and then having their reference person submit it. 

It's completely unfair and such a disadvantage. 

2 minutes ago, French_MSW said:

I have had several people review my application, both written statement and resume, including individuals who have already completed the MSW programs I applied to, and one who was currently in the program. I've had multiple people who've been accepted send me their written statements as well, to compare and get an idea of what the university is looking for. One co-worker who completed her MSW at McMaster, had several major spelling and grammar mistakes in her written statement, and yet she was still accepted for the thesis program.

I'm learning that the only way to get into grad school is if you have connections.

For all my references, I have just provided the university with the emails for my references, and then they send out a link to them to submit. I have never read or reviewed any of my references letters, since they directly send them to the university via the online system.

However, I am finding out that MSW applicants are helping their references write the letters, or even writing it themselves and then having their reference person submit it. 

I find that people we know give useless feedback to avoid hurt feelings. Its also about the content not so much the grammar, although that is important too. It's always good practice to provide some key info to your references about what you want them to say and to pick people you trust to do a good job. I would never submit a reference without at least a general idea of what they said. 

3 minutes ago, Geralt said:

I find that people we know give useless feedback to avoid hurt feelings. Its also about the content not so much the grammar, although that is important too. It's always good practice to provide some key info to your references about what you want them to say and to pick people you trust to do a good job. I would never submit a reference without at least a general idea of what they said. 

I second this. Remember: your application should tell a story and it's important to make sure your references are.. writing the same story? Communicating about what story you're writing will likely help. I'm not sure if I'm making sense but.. that^

Also it sounds like you have a really strong application!

5 hours ago, French_MSW said:

It is sad to have been rejected on your application, and I can imagine how frustrated it is while it happens for years, while you have a really strong portfolio. 

Yet as a person who once was a referee of a person apply for degree programs I do want to share that it is difficult for a referee to write the reference letter without detailed information about the application. As some of you also added that an excellent application needs a good story from you, this cannot be told without detailed discussion between the applicant and myself. Or at least, a personal statement and CV to let me know the applicant’s strategy I guess?

We all know that it is critical to have referees who are willing and Eager to help. However, Sometimes the referees are eager to help but they are not sure if they are writing something helpful. For instance in your statement you focused on your care to the community, then it will be absurd if my referee report explains only on your clinical skills.

Of course, writing the entire referee report by applicant is not something to be encouraged.

Not sure if my experiences being a referee helps, but finger crossed for your application!

17 hours ago, machamacha said:

Yeah its all fucking bullshit. I dont know what more they want from us. You have to solve fucking homelessness to get into an msw nowadays. working in a hospital through the pandemic apparently isnt enough, holding peoples hand while they die because their families arent allowed in during covid - isnt enough. This years sw college theme for social work was that "social work is in critial demand" well appartently it isnt because they only accept half a dozen fools every semester. 

It's rough. It feels like I'm competing against people with a wall of achievements in comparison to mine.

Best of luck out there.

Edited by BingBongBingBong

15 hours ago, French_MSW said:

Hmm… I got into Carleton U for the 2-year MSW, and I don’t have any connections nor did I help my references with their submissions (though I did send them some information). Mind you, I did not get into Laurier’s online program last year. I wasn’t surprised because I didn’t have a social worker as a referee at the time, and I was told I just needed more experience. 

I know that Carleton also looks at life experience, identity, and career experience and interests in order to have a diverse class. So sometimes I think it’s just a matter of the applicant pool and who makes the final decisions. Because you can be put in the “acceptable” pile, but you’re just not making that “top 25” or whatever number they choose. 

A piece of advice for your statements… whether you have experienced significant barriers in life or you haven’t (and have privilege), recognize it and own it. It’s not about feeling bad for yourself, or feeling guilty about your privilege. It’s being candid about your growth and your willingness to keeping growing. That’s part of being a social worker, is having that level self awareness, and knowing how your experiences shape you. 

Edited by CJackson15

20 hours ago, natt97 said:

Update for my Advanced MSW applications (March 4th)

- Carleton - accepted with $12,000 scholarship offered

- UBC - accepted but with no scholarship money, I did email them and they said that since I had one of the higher GPA's so I may be able to apply and get between $1000 - $3000. Also the program as a domestic student is only $6000 total for the year which seems to be one of the more affordable ones?

- Waterloo - just checked and got waitlisted.

- Also applied to Western but haven't heard back, if I do get accepted will turn down as this was my last choice and doesn't seem to be funding help/

I think I am going to go with UBC as I already live in Vancouver and want to continue living here so I think it makes more sense but also hard to turn down the scholarship money so I am still torn. 

Good luck everyone!

Decided to go ahead and officially accepts UBC's offer, for those on the waitlist for Carleton there will now be another spot available :)

18 hours ago, French_MSW said:

Is there any chance whatsoever that one of your references are saying something bad about you? I'm pretty sure there's a way to request access to references that have been provided in the past

Edited to add, through FOIP the university must disclose your letters so if they decline you can quote this from the FOIP FAQ page:

12. Can a student, in a FOIP request, gain access to a closed letter of reference of which he or she is the subject of the information? • Generally yes, since the letter would contain personal opinions about the student. In Order 2000-029, the Information and Privacy Commissioner determined that letters of reference written in support of an application for admission to a graduate program should be disclosed because it affected a student’s career opportunities, the student had asked the third parties to write the letters, the third parties may refuse the student’s request, and that the student already knows who the third parties are because they asked the third parties to write the letters in the first place. The Commissioner also found that the letters contained personal information about the student and the third parties but it would not be an unreasonable invasion of the third parties’ privacy to disclose their personal information contained in these letters. He also found that the letters did not constitute privileged information and that section 19 (confidential evaluations) could not be applied as all the criteria of that section was not met. • • However, under section 19 of the Act, the institution may refuse to disclose evaluative or opinion information collected for the purpose of conferring a benefit (e.g. a scholarship or other award) to an individual if the information was supplied in confidence. This is a narrow exception to disclosure of the information under the Act that would not apply to letters of reference in every situation.

Here is the FOIP page that was quoted: https://www.servicealberta.ca/foip/documents/FAQ_Post_Secondary_(Jan07_updated_Feb_14).pdf - This is a gov AB website but FOIP is federal therefore qualifies in all provinces

Keep in mind that this is government legislation and most university policies can't override it. In my experience though some of the Uni's I have applied for have even told referees that their letters can be requested by the student through FOIP so it's likely most universities are aware of this and won't push back on your request

Here is an example from the U of A on access to reference letters through FOIP. They say right on the website that because of FOIP they can't deny a student access to reference letters:

https://www.ualberta.ca/information-and-privacy-office/access-to-letters-of-reference.html

This concludes my TedTalk thanks for coming ?

Edited by veronica58

6 hours ago, veronica58 said:

Is there any chance whatsoever that one of your references are saying something bad about you? I'm pretty sure there's a way to request access to references that have been provided in the past

Edited to add, through FOIP the university must disclose your letters so if they decline you can quote this from the FOIP FAQ page:

12. Can a student, in a FOIP request, gain access to a closed letter of reference of which he or she is the subject of the information? • Generally yes, since the letter would contain personal opinions about the student. In Order 2000-029, the Information and Privacy Commissioner determined that letters of reference written in support of an application for admission to a graduate program should be disclosed because it affected a student’s career opportunities, the student had asked the third parties to write the letters, the third parties may refuse the student’s request, and that the student already knows who the third parties are because they asked the third parties to write the letters in the first place. The Commissioner also found that the letters contained personal information about the student and the third parties but it would not be an unreasonable invasion of the third parties’ privacy to disclose their personal information contained in these letters. He also found that the letters did not constitute privileged information and that section 19 (confidential evaluations) could not be applied as all the criteria of that section was not met. • • However, under section 19 of the Act, the institution may refuse to disclose evaluative or opinion information collected for the purpose of conferring a benefit (e.g. a scholarship or other award) to an individual if the information was supplied in confidence. This is a narrow exception to disclosure of the information under the Act that would not apply to letters of reference in every situation.

Here is the FOIP page that was quoted: https://www.servicealberta.ca/foip/documents/FAQ_Post_Secondary_(Jan07_updated_Feb_14).pdf - This is a gov AB website but FOIP is federal therefore qualifies in all provinces

Keep in mind that this is government legislation and most university policies can't override it. In my experience though some of the Uni's I have applied for have even told referees that their letters can be requested by the student through FOIP so it's likely most universities are aware of this and won't push back on your request

Here is an example from the U of A on access to reference letters through FOIP. They say right on the website that because of FOIP they can't deny a student access to reference letters:

https://www.ualberta.ca/information-and-privacy-office/access-to-letters-of-reference.html

This concludes my TedTalk thanks for coming ?

Wow thank you so much for this TedTalk!! 

I never thought about requesting my letters of reference. The past few years, I used the same person as my professional reference, and was feeling uneasy about his response when I asked him for a reference, so this year, I choose a different person to be my professional reference. Fingers crossed that it makes a difference. But I'm definitely interested in viewing the letters my references wrote for me.

Do you think I should try and request them from the uni directly before filing a FOI request?

57 minutes ago, French_MSW said:

Wow thank you so much for this TedTalk!! 

I never thought about requesting my letters of reference. The past few years, I used the same person as my professional reference, and was feeling uneasy about his response when I asked him for a reference, so this year, I choose a different person to be my professional reference. Fingers crossed that it makes a difference. But I'm definitely interested in viewing the letters my references wrote for me.

Do you think I should try and request them from the uni directly before filing a FOI request?

I would definitely ask the universities first, they might have you sign some kind of form to access it but that should be it. If they don’t provide it for you even after you quote foip (which would be weird) then ya go through foip…not sure how that process works but I’m sure google knows 

On 3/4/2022 at 9:47 PM, mswwaiting said:

Congrats to everyone who has received acceptances! :) I received a waitlist email from Uwindsor advanced standing over a month ago... still haven't heard back from Laurier. The wait is driving me crazy. It is making me feel super discouraged :( Hopefully they will say something within the next week. Anyone have any idea when Laurier's advanced standing results will come out?

I was expecting to hear in January for May and had an email mid December!