What's the story behind your avatar or username?

katerific

mine is a picture of the Bosphorus Bridge in Istanbul.

my screen name .... when I was in high school, I thought that ZouZax would be a cool name for a character in the Lion King or the Jungle Book. To me, it sounded like it could be a friend of Simba or Mowgli. I don't know. the name stuck. blink.gif

Oh man, I kept thinking you actually borrowed the name from the Lion King! I confused it with the bird's name (Zazu!).

Also, kind of random: one time I went to a talk about the nutrient dynamics in the Black Sea. They kept saying Bosphorus and phosphorus, and I was so confused for the first half of the talk.

Oh man, I kept thinking you actually borrowed the name from the Lion King! I confused it with the bird's name (Zazu!).

Also, kind of random: one time I went to a talk about the nutrient dynamics in the Black Sea. They kept saying Bosphorus and phosphorus, and I was so confused for the first half of the talk.

you know what, maybe I got the name subconsciously from the movie & never realized it! there goes my originality tongue.gif

I tried to do something generic and boring and unlike me for my name/avatar for fear other posters would find out who I am...they found out anyways. But as you can imagine, last year when applying I felt like my world was coming to an end with all the rejections. I felt I had three wishes left in me and last year was my last wish and it didn't come true. When I googled "wish" the picture of the lady blowing the plant thing was of course representative of my screen name so I chose it. Looking back I realize the avatar is kind representative of my life now. I got blown away with humanities PhD rejections 3 years in a row and while this is my 4th year and I still have some pending applications I actually got blown to a new, amazing and happy world: I'm actually on a new path--med school.

I got blown away with humanities PhD rejections 3 years in a row and while this is my 4th year and I still have some pending applications I actually got blown to a new, amazing and happy world: I'm actually on a new path--med school.

That's funny, I got blown in the exact OPPOSITE direction smile.gif I've never heard of the med school application path referred to as "amazing and happy," but I'm glad you find it to be!

Edited by MoJingly

I wanted something simple. I re-watched Forrest Gump earlier that day so I still had that kicking around my head. Like this line:

There was Dallas, from Phoenix; Cleveland - he was from Detroit; and Tex... well, I don't remember where Tex come from.

I was born in Texas but didn't stay too long. I've lived the majority of my life in Florida (even stayed for college and grad school if you can believe that). But sure... you could say that I "come from" Texas.

My avatar is from part of a painting by Salvador Dalí, The Discovery of America by Christopher Columbus. It's a humongous work but this is the focal point. Regardless of my views of the real Columbus, I really like this young and heroic Columbus pulling his ship towards shore. Grad school sometimes feels like a heroic struggle.

Edited by Tex

That's funny, I got blown in the exact OPPOSITE direction smile.gif I've never heard of the med school application path referred to as "amazing and happy," but I'm glad you find it to be!

Maybe once I actually start med school I'll take what I said back but right now I'm sooooo excited!

Mine is pretty simple, it rhymes with my first name and I've always liked the animal.

My avatar is b/c I like "The Simpsons" and I'm pursuing a PhD in Neuroscience.

Feel free to guess my first name if you want, but you probably won't get it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the word was used as a name for a type of demon on the show. I am hoping it shows up on my gre so I can smile.

Definition of QUELL

transitive verb

1 : to thoroughly overwhelm and reduce to submission or passivity <quell a riot>

2 : quiet, pacify <quell fears>

— quell·er noun

Definition from http://mw4.m-w.com/dictionary/queller

I had read Zizek's Welcome to the Desert of the Real not long before I joined TGC and, for some reason, I kept thinking back to this old Eastern European joke with which he opens the book:

A Czech (or East German or Polish) worker is transferred to Siberia. He knows that when he will write letters from Siberia to his friends at home they will be read by the censors and so he tells his friends: "Let's establish a code: if a letter you receive from me is written in normal blue ink, it's true; if it is written in red ink, it's false." After a month, his friends receive a letter written in blue ink: "Everything is great here in Siberia: the shops are full, there is plenty of food, there are great and beautiful apartments, you can see all the latest Western films in the cinema and there are beautiful girls ready to go out with you - the only thing that you cannot get here is red ink."

I liked the sense of the clandestine inherent to the red ink. Plus, it was a way for me to reveal my theory geekness without really revealing it. And so was born outofredink.

Wow everyone has really cool stories behind their name! Mine is just a small lobster. I call a good friend of mine Lobster and they have taken to calling me Langoustine bc I am short.

Oh, so it's a lobster on your avatar! I thought it is a tiny bat :)

My screen name is the title of a book by Elias Canetti, whose work I really appreciate.

The avatar is some graffiti from here in Beirut. It's not really funny unless you know Arabic pop culture, but it's a stencil of the diva Umm Kalthoum sing the lyrics from a trashy pop song by Haifa Wehbe.

Oh, so it's a lobster on your avatar! I thought it is a tiny bat :)

My mistake! Yes my avatar picture is a bat! I was confused and was thinking of my username! That is an eastern red bat, I was tagging along with a grad student who was working on them in undergrad :) I don't know why I chose that picture I was just bored of my default one!

My mistake! Yes my avatar picture is a bat! I was confused and was thinking of my username! That is an eastern red bat, I was tagging along with a grad student who was working on them in undergrad :) I don't know why I chose that picture I was just bored of my default one!

:D

And I was staring at this picture, trying to find a lobster there!!!! :lol:

I love bats! I think they are very nice creatures :)

Mine is the name of the wife of an 18th century Irish radical/nationalist- Wolfe Tone. Why? Because he's a leading figure in the era I study, and it is what came to mind when I signed up.

As for the picture- that is a painting by the English artist Thomas Gainsborough- one of my favourites because a) I love Gainsborough b ) I love the 18th century and c) in involves flutes (and as a flute player, I love this too)

Edited by Matilda_Tone

"Le chat gris" is French for "the gray cat," but (more importantly) is also the name of a pub in the novel The Scarlet Pimpernell, which I highly recommend.

Books + pubs = happy (hmmm, I should send this on to the ad. comms in place of my GRE quant. score--I am competent!)

The picture is a comic about wine from marriedtothesea.com.

"Le chat gris" is French for "the gray cat," but (more importantly) is also the name of a pub in the novel The Scarlet Pimpernell, which I highly recommend.

Books + pubs = happy (hmmm, I should send this on to the ad. comms in place of my GRE quant. score--I am competent!)

The picture is a comic about wine from marriedtothesea.com.

May I just say that I love this thread and all the quirky people on it tongue.gif

While we're on French names, mine is the name of the little white dog in the Belgian cartoon "Tin-Tin." He is pretty much the best cartoon pet ever. (Really! He even saves Tin-Tin's life by getting drunk. I forgot the details...read it too long ago. :) )

Best of luck to all and happy procrastination.