What's the story behind your avatar or username?

katerific

But I used to choose my usernames based on whatever item was immediately beside my right hand as I typed. I have been ContactLens_Solution, EmptyWaterBottle, and BagoCatTreats in other forums.

That is hilarious! :P I can only imagine what some of my usernames would be if I used the same method. I keep some weird things scattered around on my desk sometimes.

The hyacinth macaw is a rare and beautiful bird (unlike yours truly, who would be best characterized as a wild boar). It is a highly endangered species due to habitat loss (deforestation) and illegal poaching. I generally take an interest in the preservation of threatened birds, especially parrots (including the flightless kakapo of New Zealand). Birds are just such divine creatures. I encourage everyone to support the conservation of all endangered animals, including birds, so that future generations may reap the incalculable bounties, not to mention share in the joy, of biodiversity. How to witness the majesty of birds? If you have Netflix instant streaming, watch "The Life of Birds" by David Attenborough. The World Parrot Trust is a good portal f you're interested in parrot conservation: http://www.parrots.org/ Or just purchase some inexpensive wild bird feed and watch the dozens of different birds feeding, pecking, and flying in all their glory. Thanks for reading, and all the best!

hyacinth_macaw.jpg

my cat was walking all over my keyboard as i was signing up to this forum

I love this! My keyboard is my cat's one true love. When I haul him off, he looks hurt. Betrayed. I think he is trying to write me a message. MOAR TRREEATTS.

"Tickle me pink!" - does this phrase mean something?

Haha... yes!

It means, it excited me in just the right way. It's a cute phrase that old folks like my parents use, don't know where its from.

Every now and then I like to update my username. I had, had maniac since 7th grade- which I thought was awesome and I even did a substitution so that I could write my email address correctly but you'd have to be in the "know" to spell it right. Goodness, I was a cool 9th grader--- of course I spelled in MANLAC... so that's pronounce man lack. As a guy, I got sick of explaining it. So I tried to come up with a username that meant nothing.

Essentially, psi was chosen because it was a relevant symbol in something I was working on earlier that day and 456 was chosen so that I could remember what the numbers were. Couldn't have remembered a completely random set of numbers... yep. I'm another random one. And I second the, my avatar highlights my originality.

I love this thread! It's made me giggle about fifteen times now.

Name: Two years ago I was kind of interested in psycholinguistics, and there was the alternate possibility of 'psycho linguist'. One of those two things is now out-of-date (hmm...I should figure out which one), but I can't be bothered to change it given how long I've been hanging around this forum.

Avatar: Self-explanatory. (I just tried looking for it on Google in an attempt to identify the source, but a) I had no luck, and B) I found it available as a T-shirt and might have no choice but to buy one. Darn.)

My username is a bastardization of a name of a character in one of my favorite sci-fi series. The series is called The Coldfire Trilogy and in it is a race of beings that are kind of like cat-like people. I love cats and feel that I could have been a cat in past life so I liked this race. The character's name was Hessith but I remembered in wrong and thought it was Kessith. It works out since I like Kessith better anyway. It is also my character name from Final Fantasy Online (recovering? current? addict) :)

I just finished that trilogy! And I'm somewhat of an FF nerd as well...

User name is from a Latin phrase inscribed in the main library on my undergrad campus. Bene legere saecla vincere - "To read well is to conquer/master the ages." Considering my field, it is only too appropriate. As for why I chose "saecla vincere" instead of "bene legere" - well, I just thought it sounded better! :lol: (Coincidentally, the National Junior Classics League's National Convention theme for 2011 is the same phrase!)

The avatar is a tribute to memes and high irreverence. Can't remember my image source, but the text was all me.

My avatar is an avatar of me, though I'm not that disproportional! And my username is the name of an awesome independent bookstore in Detroit, which contrary to what I've read in some forums here, is actually a really awesome city! Not too compelling of a story, but I liked reading what others had to say :)

Edited by leopolds

Well, I have yet to find an image that I want to be associated with me, so I have no avatar at the moment.

As for my user name, it's just a nickname that my parents called me as a little girl and still occasionally call me. My name is Lydia, which shortens to Lydi/Lyddie (depending on if you ask me or my dad...). Anyway, my dad played off of Lady Bird Johnson and I became Lydi Bird.

Drove me nuts as a kid. "BUT I'M NOT A BIRD!" Ha ha ha. It was better than my other childhood nickname. I'm glad this one is the one that stuck.

Space-cat is the name of my computer. My laptop died recently, and my SO was trying to reinstall the operating system while I was at work. I was sad about something--probably grad school apps--and looking at cute animals on the internet. Have you seen sand cats? They're pretty adorable:

300px-Sand_Cat.jpg

So, my SO wanted to cheer me up by naming my computer after a cute animal, but he couldn't remember the "sand" part of sand cat. For some reason, he thought they were called "space cats." Why? I do not know. Anyway, my laptop's name under "My Computer" is now spacecat, and it makes me laugh because I think of something like my avatar, which is a cat flying through space. Clearly, I am a very serious academic.

Well, my username is just a variation of my first/middle initials and my last name... It sounds cool, like the name of the best friend in a kid's TV show (okay fine, I'm thinking of Skeeter from "Doug".)

I finally got around to changing my avatar to honor my one and only love: Hyperbole and a Half. Also - this is what I picture how I look when I'm up in the wee hours of the morning checking the results page and Googling my fingers off.

• 1 year later...

antecedant: one of my favorite linguistic concepts - part of the syntax/semantics interface that is just TOO COOL.

George Orwell: I wrote my senior honours thesis on the man and haven't been able to let go of my literary crush since.