What's the story behind your avatar or username?

katerific

Mine's from my martial arts studies. It's Cantonese and roughly translates as "open hand." It's also two words for saint stuck together, but that wasn't my intention, consciously anyway (lol).

pears = favorite soap brand, favorite poached fruit, and an aesthetically (aurally and visually) pleasing word, i think.

also, pears are notorious among fruit trees for being particularly bad at successfully growing and making pearbabies on their own; they're dependent on the support of others who think they're worth helping along, and their own ability to survive through various weather extremes. the payoff is tasty, though! so, i suppose it's an odd metaphor for my studies: don't be afraid to accept help, savor collaboration, be perseverant (even when things get super tough), and reward yourself and others well for all the work in the end.

as for my avatar, well, it's grumpy cat in monty python trimmings. i don't think i really need to explain or justify myself there.

Alabama is the greatest college football program in the history of the world, obviously. Just kidding, I know we've only been dominant recently and since we stole Nick Saban unceremoniously from the Fins. Not his finest hour, that's for sure. I think with the rotating roster, we're in danger to be upset by some of the other strong (and rising programs) both in the SEC and elsewhere.

That said, my name and av aren't exactly mysterious. 

username = first initial + middle initial + last name. boring and simple.

avatar = me climbing things. cause that what I *really* want to do with my life (mostly, I also like infectious diseases)

I love Chinese history, literature, philosophy, religion, and mythology, and I am fascinated by the concept of having to endure hardships to reach a state of enlightenment. Sort of like what Xuanzang and his disciples had to go through in the classic novel Journey to the West.

I used to love microbiology and was fascinated by the description of this certain bacteria that I came across in my freshmen's microbiology class. It only lives in the south pole Polaromonas vacuolata and, if I remember correctly, grows well at temp below 4 degree Celsius. And I thought "wow, how high-maintenance can it gets" :D (Not that I'm such that kind of a person, but I thought it was funny, in a nerdy way)  

I love reading this thread :)
It takes my mind of things.

So, my username is "Pithecanthropus" which is the name of a fossil that was found in 1891 on Java, Indonesia. It's an extinct hominid which has now been assigned to the proposed species Homo erectus. It is my favorite fossil. (I studied Palaeoarchaeology but I'm sure that's clear by now haha)

As for my avatar: it's Indiana Jones lego. What's not to like about that? lol

• 8 months later...

@sportpsych30 hmmm.. could it do anything to do with you going for sports psychology!? lol I'm guessing the 30 is your b-day, lucky number, your number, or favorite player's number. 

Nailed it!! 30 is historically my number, but in college I've worn 33 since my freshman year because a teammate had 30 when I came in and I just stuck with it :)

EDIT: The person I'm wondering about is @Repentwalpurgis .... What in the world?? haha

Edited by SportPsych30