What's the story behind your avatar or username?

katerific

Username:

Cool vampire from an Anne R. novel. (Read: doesn't sparkle, is macho). [stephanie Meyer, WHAT did you do to the vampire-story genre?? Argh..]

Awesomest comic strip ever. Period. :D

My friends call me A, because my real first name is long and doesn't lend itself readily to nicknames. Yes, that does get as confusing as it sounds (I basically look up anytime someone says "hey" now). As for the personality-type reference... who on this forum isn't a Type A? :P

My username is my husband's middle name. Deep and interesting, huh? 2 years ago I was on this forum and had an avatar of Quetzalcoatlus because he's my favorite pterosaur but when I came back to the forums a few months ago it had disappeared. Now the shadow and I mourn his loss.

I think mine is semi-self explanatory. Imonedaful= I'm wonderful. One of my track coaches I had in high school's e-mail address was too1daful... or something to that extent so I stole the concept. It is a confidence booster ;)

After reading this forum, I realized I took naming far too seriously; I named my name for my interest in finding Art History PhD/MA programs which accept curating in a museum particular -- as viable alternative to a life-long career in academia. (That said, my dream site of employment is a university museum.)

I chose this work from the Museum of Fine Arts Boston, as I too like to think about the decorative arts! Although, Paul Revere was a silver smith... slightly different :-)

My name is fairly straight forward and boring. Tropical because i live in the tropics. Charlie is what my family calls me - i think my mom and dad were hoping for a boy but they got me and stuck with the name anyway. :rolleyes: I used to despise it growing up because other kids teased me about having a boy's name, but I don't mind it so much now. The avatar is a picture of me snorkeling in the middle of the Pacific.

Hahaha great thread! My avatar is my cat. My name is my passion and my personality. if I could've had my cat hold a d20 in her mouth I would have a pic of that instead. :)

My nickname is something I think most Tolkien fans will get instantly- it's a golden, stately tree that grows in Lothlorien in Middle-Earth (also in a few other places). I started becoming active on the internet shortly after I first read LOTR, so all of my original forum and e-mail names had something to do with Tolkien. Decided to keep up the tradition, as I'm still a fan (except for a professional e-mail of course) after all these years!

Completely forgot about my avatar... I chose this picture because I felt it was fitting for this forum- as most of us join as applicants we're sort of walking towards something unknown while also being mindful that grad school in itself is a bridge towards what we want to do in life career-wise.

Edited by mallorn

My username:

Gellert is either the dog of Llewellyn the Great or the character from Harry Potter, take your pick. :)

My avatar:

Charles Xavier (Professor X) as seen in X-Men: First Class! The character is a very powerful telepath; the thing he's pulling onto his head is a device called Cerebro, which enables him to extend his telepathic range significantly (in later years, it's suggested that he can reach every mind in the entire world using Cerebro). I chose it for two reasons: (1) I am obsessed with XMFC and Charles Xavier, and (2) it is vaguely relevant to my focus of research.

When trying out a new riding camp, the other campers were completely confused when I said I had a fairly green pony to show the next weekend. Most of the horses I've ridden in the past few years have been green so it stuck. An extra e got tagged on at some point.

The original inspiration for the name (I'm thinking my mom tied that hay bag, it is FAR too low).

untitledj.jpg

A friend (art major, works part time as a caricature artist) made me a poster as part of a graduation gift about our senior week trip to a convention, including a little mini-me. The poster traveled with me through undergrad.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

VBD - stands for Vector-Borne Diseases, (like malaria, west nile virus, etc.) which was my area of interest the first time I applied to schools/used this forum. My current interests have shifted a little but can still include vbd's

<- avatar is a picture of A-bo the onionhead, from an Asian comic. I love onionhead's defiant/superhero pose, and I think that with all of us applying to grad schools, we need a superhero for inspiration.. even if it's an onionhead whose greatest enemy is the delinquent scallion!

I'm into arachnids, so...

Zabius is just a genus of scorpion. I don't have a strong attachment to Zabius (there's only one species in it), but I like the way that it sounds.

My avatar is an amblypygid (sometimes called a "cave spider" or "tailless whip scorpion"). They're totally awesome arachnids that are neither true scorpions nor spiders. Look them up on Google for larger images... they're crazy-looking! Some get big enough to eat frogs, but none are venomous or otherwise dangerous to people.