Waitlisters Paradise

Declining Berkeley, Penn and Yale -- all fully funded PhD offers. Hope the space + money go toward someone here who'll make better use of it than I would have!

If you don't mind me asking, where are you going? If you're declining these schools I feel like there are only a few options, one of which makes me very nervous...

On that note, anyone turning down Princeton?

If you don't mind me asking, where are you going? If you're declining these schools I feel like there are only a few options, one of which makes me very nervous...

On that note, anyone turning down Princeton?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news -- I accepted an offer at Princeton today.

Just turned down Stony Brook and West Virginia. Hope that helps someone out there!

What is your sub-field? Any idea which way you're leaning at this point? (Rochester is one of my wait-lists--I just visited the campus yesterday afternoon with another wait-listed student, and the campus was just beautiful).

Just removed myself from the waitlist at Loyola—Chicago. Last week, declined an offer from UNC-Greensboro.

Just turned down a fully funded decision at the University of Oregon, including the Krohn's fellowship in Literature and the Environment. (Seriously, one of the most excruciating decisions of my life.)

Boston University, here I come. Wait, did I make the wrong decision? I wonder if I'll sleep at all tonight...

What is your sub-field? Any idea which way you're leaning at this point? (Rochester is one of my wait-lists--I just visited the campus yesterday afternoon with another wait-listed student, and the campus was just beautiful).

Hey Tybalt, I'm down to Rochester and Indiana (where I'm on the waitlist), and there is a definite possibility that I will be declining Rochester - I'll post here immediately if I do! I'm a medievalist, so I don't know if that's helpful, but I thought it couldn't hurt to let you know. Good luck!:)

Medieval--I was waitlisted for first year funding though, so that would be something to keep in mind.

Wow! I'm very, very glad to hear that! (Not about the funding, of course - though might you have applied with just a BA? I understand that first-year funding of BA-only applicants has to come in the form of a very competitive fellowship, whereas I, since I have an MA and teaching experience, could go straight into teaching assistantship.)

Thanks for sharing - I hope you're going somewhere fantastic!

Officially declined a Cota-Robles fellowship at UCLA and officially declined Berkeley (had been contacted about a waitlist for 1st/2nd year fellowship funding, but took myself off the list). Hope others gain better funding packages accordingly.

Going to Penn!

Edited by jprufrock