Waitlisters Paradise

Hi there! I officially declined Rochester today. It broke my heart a little to do it--it's a fantastic place. My field is 18th and 19th century Brit Lit, particularly the novel. That said, I'm not sure that they're doing their wait list by field (though you may have better information than me about this). When I went up for the visiting day they made it clear that they expect that many students will change their fields once in the program. Good luck!

What is your sub-field? Any idea which way you're leaning at this point? (Rochester is one of my wait-lists--I just visited the campus yesterday afternoon with another wait-listed student, and the campus was just beautiful).

Officially declined a Cota-Robles fellowship at UCLA and officially declined Berkeley (had been contacted about a waitlist for 1st/2nd year fellowship funding, but took myself off the list). Hope others gain better funding packages accordingly.

Going to Penn!

Congrats -- I'm glad to hear Penn worked out!

I also just declined Rochester, and it broke my heart a little bit too - I really loved all the people I met there!

I received the expected offer from Indiana overnight and have accepted it. (thanks nonymouse!)

If I get that Rochester spot, I'm shipping you a pallet of Ramen. Name your flavor! :)

If I get that Rochester spot, I'm shipping you a pallet of Ramen. Name your flavor! :)

Haha thanks! I really hope you get in - I was told (speculatively, by a current student) that I was the only medievalist accepted, so they might be looking to medievalists first, BUT I don't know if that's how theirs works - would really like to see you get some good news!

Haha thanks! I really hope you get in - I was told (speculatively, by a current student) that I was the only medievalist accepted, so they might be looking to medievalists first, BUT I don't know if that's how theirs works - would really like to see you get some good news!

Not to be Johnny Stormcloud, but it's not looking very likely at Rochester now, either. There were two of us in my MA cohort on the UR wait list. The other one got a phone call today. She's going to think about it tonight and decide tomorrow. I doubt they'll take two people from the same (small) MA program.

EDIT--Then again, they might just call me with fantastic news just minutes after I was being all gloom and doom depressing on the Gradcafe...:)

Edited by Tybalt

I pretty much lurk around Grad Cafe anonymously, making a post here and there. And this is pretty much the only forum I check, and not to sound like a stalker, but in recent weeks I've been checking to see if Tybalt had posted good news. As a fellow "old" man (I'll be 32 when I start again in the fall) returning to grad school after a hiatus, I know the agony of waiting to hear good news and wondering if you'll ever get a chance to pursue your passion or if it will always be wondering "what if?"...I'm happy for you, Tybalt; Rochester is a great program. Congrats. I don't know you from a fart in the wind--and probably never will--but I know how you're feeling right now and it feels good. Go empty one of those happy-happy-joy-joy screams into the universe.

Also stoked for Tybalt. Big congrats!

Even though your season appeared pretty rough (I've been watching) you always maintained a good attitude about it. I'm certain that Rochester will benefit from having you there.

So glad this is almost over.

Also stoked for Tybalt. Big congrats!

Even though your season appeared pretty rough (I've been watching) you always maintained a good attitude about it. I'm certain that Rochester will benefit from having you there.

So glad this is almost over.

Thanks (to everyone)! Looking at it now, it was stressful, but it went fairly well. Out of 11 applications, 7 were outright rejections, and most of those were "reach" schools for me. Back in November, I would have been thrilled to somehow know that I'd end up with two acceptances and three wait-lists. It's amazing the difference a phone call can make!

Now to the real conundrum. I need to figure out where one would attempt to buy a pallet of Ramen...:)

So as I mentioned, I've turned down Baylor, but at this late stage in the game, I don't think I'll be coming off the wait list at Iowa. Heart: broken! Ah well, next year... :(

Unless they've said something to that effect, I wouldn't give up hope yet. I get the feeling that schools have been accepting fewer but waitlisting more this season (due to the uncertainty of funding due to the economy).

As such, lots of people seem to be deciding in the last few days. I also met a bunch of people at the CEA conference a couple of weeks ago who told me they got in to their programs off of the waitlist (and almost all of them were notified on the last or second to last day).

Good luck!

Thanks (to everyone)! Looking at it now, it was stressful, but it went fairly well. Out of 11 applications, 7 were outright rejections, and most of those were "reach" schools for me. Back in November, I would have been thrilled to somehow know that I'd end up with two acceptances and three wait-lists. It's amazing the difference a phone call can make!

That's totally awesome :)

I remember you posting a while back that you were hoping not to get screwed over by undergrad transcripts issues that you had no control over. It's good to know that good programs judge candidates for what they're really worth, and not for things that happened 10 years ago, or that they had no control over. Congratulations again!

After going through all the blood and sweat and tears with everyone else on the board, it's so nice to be able to celebrate each other's successes. Yay! We rock! :)

For anyone accepting an offer at UW-Seattle: Declining my offer there was difficult. They are a great department and their DGS is one of the kindest, most helpful people I was in contact with through the whole application process.

Enjoy the next several years there!