Waitlisters Paradise

Hi, I just saw this thread--I'm on the wait-list for UPenn--has anyone heard anything yet? Or is anyone planning on turning them down? Thanks!

Same question plus one request to those accepted: please make a decision within the next week if you can.

If I end up getting in, I want to have at least a few days to consider everything before I make my ultimate choice.

Edited by jprufrock

I see from the results page that five Vanderbilt "secret waitlisters" (it sounds so much cooler than it is...) have been rejected. Is there anyone else (like me) who is on this list but hasn't heard anything?

Also, have any Maryland waitlisters heard anything?

Still no "secret waitlist" release for me either.... In fact, I already accepted UCSB's offer, so I'm not sure why it matters to me what Vanderbilt says, but I wish they'd say something!

I'll go ahead and request updates RE Carnegie Mellon's Rhetoric and Michigan State's Rhetoric and Writing PhD programs (even though I've inquired in separate threads). I'm waitlisted at both.

I'll share that UWashington's language and rhetoric PhD would be a great fit for me were it not for funding problems in year one. and that I'll gladly accept even an imperfectly-unfunded offer if the other two don't work out.

Re: Vandy -- perhaps this was just coincidence, but I got my rejection less than 24 hours after e-mailing to let them know that even though I hadn't heard anything from them, I was accepting an offer elsewhere and letting them know. It was amusing.

I see from the results page that five Vanderbilt "secret waitlisters" (it sounds so much cooler than it is...) have been rejected. Is there anyone else (like me) who is on this list but hasn't heard anything?

Also, have any Maryland waitlisters heard anything?

I removed myself from the waitlist at Iowa (Ph.D.) and Delaware (M.A.), and declined offers from Mizzou (M.A.) and Michigan State (M.A.).

Attending: OHIO STATE, BABY!!! :lol:

I will likely be declining Minnesota early next week. I'm a medievalist.

Are you leaning towards Rochester? I met some of their Medievalists at a conference last October, and they raved about that part of the program-- they really loved it. Do you know when the visit days are/were for U of R? I'm on the wait list (Renaissance), and I'm curious as to when I might expect to hear back from them (which I assume will be after the visit days).

Fellow wait-listers:

Are you following up with the DGS, or waiting patiently? What's your strategy?

I have been following up with the DGS. Then waiting patiently, then following up with a quick, polite email. My waitlist is ranked, so I'm not trying to change his mind, but rather, information gathering for myself during this maddening time. I found out a lot of things by emailing the DGS, like my rank, the time frame I may hear by, and the possibility of acceptance based on recent years. You should definitely do it!

Anyone planning on turning down offers at Indiana or Penn State? Also, anyone with the ECF fellowship at CUNY?

I got an ECF fellowship but definitely will be declining (better fit/funding at other programs). Hope it goes to you!

I got into Penn off the waitlist, so have hope!

I just continually expressed interest by asking the Grad. Chair normal questions about the program as though I had already been accepted and was gathering information to gauge if it would be the best place for me. I also made an out-of-pocket visit, as I didn't want to make an uninformed decision (I have visited every other place, so I felt the need just in case I was accepted--glad I did, regardless of the admittedly good result).

I have yet to make a decision but now that all the cards are on the table, but I expect to make a decision within the week.

On 4/4/2011 at 10:52 PM, inafuturelife said:

FYI, maryland's down to 3 spots now and the DGS basically confirmed those spots weren't in my field (she said i should accept one of my other offers in an email today). i don't think she can 'officially' say i'm out until after the 15th but i've gone ahead and accepted one of my other offers. i don't know, however, what fields those spots are for. hopefully this info is helpful to someone!

I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm too terrified to e-mail her, as I don't have any other offers to accept at the moment. I know one of the three early modern admits accepted (he/she sent me a PM on this site). I know another was planning to accept. I know Wrader was going to decide after his campus visits, but I don't think he's on the Gradcafe anymore. This whole process is going to be the death of me.

Last week, I received a phone call from the DGS at Notre Dame, wanting to know why I hadn't returned any of his e-mails and if I'd made a decision yet. I told him that I hadn't received any e-mails, and that the web site indicated that I was rejected. He said he'd look into it and get back to me--which he did via e-mail about 10 minutes later. He was working from the wrong list, and meant to call someone else with the same last name. I know that stuff like that is bound to happen with the huge numbers of applicants, and I actually felt bad for him (he really sounded embarrassed by the whole thing), but I'm starting to go stir crazy over here.

I'll be declining

• an MA in Professional Writing offer from Carnegie Mellon University with about 50% tuition funding,
  • an MA in English offer from Claremont Graduate University with a 25% tuition fellowship,
  • an MA in English offer from Georgetown University with as-yet-unsettled funding, and
  • an MA/PhD offer from the University of Washington in Seattle with no first-year funding but with (very probable) full funding after the first year.

I hope those spots go to people who would love to have them! Particularly UW; they are an amazing program with some excellent professors and I know that a lot of students would be very happy there.

FYI, maryland's down to 3 spots now and the DGS basically confirmed those spots weren't in my field (she said i should accept one of my other offers in an email today). i don't think she can 'officially' say i'm out until after the 15th but i've gone ahead and accepted one of my other offers. i don't know, however, what fields those spots are for. hopefully this info is helpful to someone!

AHHHHH. The suspense is literally killing me...