Waitlisters Paradise

I'm not sure if it's better to hold out for more funding from a school that I've already been accepted to (waitlisted for first-year funding) or to go ahead and tell them yes. Opinions? I don't want to miss out on a chance for more funding by saying yes too "soon" (soon in quotes 'cause it's April 14).

I'd email and say you're heavily leaning to said school but say you're really concerned about the lack of first-year funding. Ask if there are any updates about getting funding and also ask if there are any top-off funds or anything that, if you don't get full first-year funding, could at least help ameliorate your financial concerns. Good luck!

Thanks (to everyone)! Looking at it now, it was stressful, but it went fairly well. Out of 11 applications, 7 were outright rejections, and most of those were "reach" schools for me. Back in November, I would have been thrilled to somehow know that I'd end up with two acceptances and three wait-lists. It's amazing the difference a phone call can make!

Now to the real conundrum. I need to figure out where one would attempt to buy a pallet of Ramen...:)

No Ramen necessary, friend :D I'm so, so happy that things worked out for you, and if it is in fact my spot that you've got, that makes me so glad that I made the choice that I did! I was feeling a bit shaky about declining Rochester because I loved the people there so much, but not anymore :)

Just declined:

• 4-year fully-funded offer to University of Washington-Seattle (English)
  • 5-year partially funded offer to the New School in Social Research (Philosophy)

Hope they go to someone on here!

Edited by sivlE

Not to be Johnny Stormcloud, but it's not looking very likely at Rochester now, either. There were two of us in my MA cohort on the UR wait list. The other one got a phone call today. She's going to think about it tonight and decide tomorrow. I doubt they'll take two people from the same (small) MA program.

EDIT--Then again, they might just call me with fantastic news just minutes after I was being all gloom and doom depressing on the Gradcafe...:)

yay! i'm so glad you got a spot this season!

Just got a phone call from the DGS at SUNY Buffalo, and I'm in the PhD program off the waitlist with full funding! I'm so happy I could scream! I was totally planning on taking out loans and getting my MA, and now I don't need to worry about it anymore. Plus, Buffalo is my hometown and I can't wait to get started at school. AAAAH!

On 4/15/2011 at 10:38 AM, greenlee said:

Just got a phone call from the DGS at SUNY Buffalo, and I'm in the PhD program off the waitlist with full funding! I'm so happy I could scream! I was totally planning on taking out loans and getting my MA, and now I don't need to worry about it anymore. Plus, Buffalo is my hometown and I can't wait to get started at school. AAAAH!

Congratulations!!!

On 4/15/2011 at 9:36 AM, sivlE said:

Just declined:

• 4-year fully-funded offer to University of Washington-Seattle (English)
  • 5-year partially funded offer to the New School in Social Research (Philosophy)

Hope they go to someone on here!

Sivie:

Sorry to hear we won't be working together at UWa. Thanks for all of the conversations we got to have (I'm not sure I would've taken the trip to Seattle without your input). Best of luck!

Unfortunately not, though I was first on a waitlist for 5 years of funding--no funding the first year.

Well hey, unless the circumstances of your decline were negative, that works out well for me (and anyone else who may or may not be on the list).

E-mailed to see if there was any news from Baylor, seems like two applicants are dragging their feet on accepting or rejecting--grrr!--but a partially funded offer was put on the table. Still going to wait it out at this point...

This isn't a big deal, because I've already accepted an offer at Maryland, but I actually still haven't heard anything from Vanderbilt. Is this weird? Is anyone else still in the same boat?

Me neither. I accepted UCSB weeks ago, but it's still been eating at me!

This isn't a big deal, because I've already accepted an offer at Maryland, but I actually still haven't heard anything from Vanderbilt. Is this weird? Is anyone else still in the same boat?

I've already accepted an offer as well, but I never heard back from UIC. I really don't mind, but it does make me wonder what went on with my application there...