Sh*t people say when you are applying to grad school

Clou12

upon hearing I got into Columbia : "oh it must be because you're _my non-American nationality_.. Columbia loves exotic people!"

another gem : "you also got into Yale, right? why don't you call both schools and pit them against each other and make them raise your stipend!"

umm.. not sure it works that way.

another gem : "you also got into Yale, right? why don't you call both schools and pit them against each other and make them raise your stipend!"

To be fair, it can, in some instances, lead to better funding offers if you make it clear that you have a more competitive offer from a competing program.

I can't believe I forgot this one:

"Doesn't School X have a crappy football team? Why do you want to be associated with that crap?" Literally no words... smh

several months ago I said to my brother "I'm applying to this school, this school, U of Chicago etc."

His response--"Doesn't U of Chicago have a good football team?"

UUGGGHH....

I can't believe I forgot this one:

"Doesn't School X have a crappy football team? Why do you want to be associated with that crap?" Literally no words... smh

Hahah, Yeah I know what that's like when I decided to go to UCSD for undergrad people were like, "Don't they not even have a football team?" In all honesty it was actually a big positive in making my decision to go there.

Oh, here's a REALLY good one---

When I graduated with my Masters in May 2012, my mom told told my grandparents because she was so excited for me, their response "Didn't he already graduate!?"  referring to my bachelor degree

Oh, and now they are "concerned" that I am only working part time while my wife works full time. SHE IS DONE WITH COLLEGE!! She has a job with a Masters!! I HAVE TO GET A DOCTORATE DEGREE IN MY FIELD...they don't %&^ing get it, they never will.

Hahah, Yeah I know what that's like when I decided to go to UCSD for undergrad people were like, "Don't they not even have a football team?" In all honesty it was actually a big positive in making my decision to go there.

I love sports, but honestly, I don't want to go to a big sports school. When you look at the top notch schools in this country, is it any coincidence that almost NONE of them have good sports?? I think not

I love sports, but honestly, I don't want to go to a big sports school. When you look at the top notch schools in this country, is it any coincidence that almost NONE of them have good sports?? I think not

It depends on the program. For geography several of them have top sports teams.

When I told my friend (UFl grad) that I applied to Georgia he immediately told me that I should apply to UF too so I could make the SEC schools compete, even though UFs program is completely outside of what I research. People are weird about sports.

several months ago I said to my brother "I'm applying to this school, this school, U of Chicago etc."

His response--"Doesn't U of Chicago have a good football team?"

UUGGGHH....

The best part of this is that UChicago does not have a good football team.  In fact, I think there's a joke about their not even having one?

My mom last visited Berkeley during the student protests in the 70s. She doesn't want me to go there because:

a ) it's a shitty school that accepts long haired freaks

b ) all her church friends will know her child is a smelly hippy

Edited by dendy

a ) it's an shitty awesome school that accepts long haired freaks

b ) all her church friends will know her child is a smelly smart hippy

these are almost the exact reasons why my (ex-hippie, ex-80s party-going) parents were both stoked when i mentioned that i really like berkeley's phd program, haha!

This is really narrow-minded. Some of the best, most competitive grad programs are in really big sports schools. Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Indiana, even Ohio (ugh) all have good academics and good football. Berkeley and UCLA, Vanderbilt, UT Austin... Just off the top of my head.

Go. Blue.

upon hearing I got into Columbia : "oh it must be because you're _my non-American nationality_.. Columbia loves exotic people!"

To be fair, it can, in some instances, lead to better funding offers if you make it clear that you have a more competitive offer from a competing program.

As soon as I received an acceptance, this was all I heard. Apparently it is really popular among medical schools, because all my friends applying to medical schools say that people do this all the time while interviewing. I didn't bring up an acceptance unless it was asked, and then I could see the reactions. This was even recommended by a PI, not mine, that I work with. I just can't see myself doing that. It might actually turn out to work in my favor. Let's see.

Edited by ion_exchanger

I have nothing to add, I just was excited because I haven't seen anyone else applying to North Dakota.

Awesome! I don't feel alone....I'm super excited and people still wonder why ("why did you apply there?"). Sometimes I feel I might have been the only applicant....

I got an interview for University XXXX!

"Isn't that far?"

"Yes, a few states away"

"So that means you have to move?"

"Uhh...yes. It is a PhD program"

"Well what are you going to with _____ (my daughter)"

....."ummm take her!"

So moving for a PhD program means I am no longer a mother , huh?

I got an interview for University XXXX!

"Isn't that far?"

"Yes, a few states away"

"So that means you have to move?"

"Uhh...yes. It is a PhD program"

"Well what are you going to with _____ (my daughter)"

....."ummm take her!"

So moving for a PhD program means I am no longer a mother , huh?

Hahaha! What are you going to do with you daughter?! You'd think people never move or something. 

My boyfriend and I (of 4 years) are both applying to Ph.D programs this year. It kind of annoys me that more often than not the first question out of people's mouths when they find out I'm applying is along the lines of "So, are you and (boyfriend) trying to go to the same school?". I understand the question, but the fact that I get it before "What are you going to grad school for?" or "Where are you applying?" bothers me. It bothers me more that he told me he never gets asked that. 

My boyfriend and I (of 4 years) are both applying to Ph.D programs this year. It kind of annoys me that more often than not the first question out of people's mouths when they find out I'm applying is along the lines of "So, are you and (boyfriend) trying to go to the same school?". I understand the question, but the fact that I get it before "What are you going to grad school for?" or "Where are you applying?" bothers me. It bothers me more that he told me he never gets asked that. 

I had questions similar to this with undergrad.

"So did you decide to go here because your boyfriend went here?"

Well gee, I never knew that he was the determining factor in all of my decisions. Not, y'know, the academic programs or anything like that.

Wednesday

Me: So I got into one of the schools I applied to. Yay!

Friend: Congrats! When do you hear back from your other schools.

Me:Probably not until late next week at the earliest.

Friday

Same Friend: Have you heard back from any other schools?

Me: No. I probably won't know any more until sometime late next week.

Today

Same Friend: Have you heard back from any other schools?

Edited by sweetpearl16

Friend: Heard back from any of "those Ph.D. programs?" (in quotes since there's usually a bit of a (perceived?) snide tone)

Me. Yes, I've received one acceptance so far.

Friend: Oh that's cool. So does that increase your chances at (local school that's highly ranked in my program)?

Me: I wouldn't think so, really.

Friend: Well I know you REALLY want to go to (local school that's highly ranked in my program). Would you be okay going to that other school instead?

Me: (tired with the conversation by now) Of course. If I wasn't interested in attending, I wouldn't have gone through the trouble of sending in the application and paying the fee.

Friend: Oh okay. Just trying to look out for you.

Me: ...

Yes!!! This is so annoying. I say "I got accepted!!" And before they ask "for what," they ask "What are you and your S.O. going to do???"

I told an acquaintance today that I'd applied to master's programs and explained to her what I'd be studying and what I wanted to do after. Then, at the end, she says, "Oh, well, have you thought about getting an internship with some kind of company?"

Uh...what? What sort of internship with what sort of company? Considering that I've already booked flights to go out to interviews, it's a little late for that. Not to mention that I've been out of college for quite awhile, so most internships are generally not open to me

This already sort of happened to me months ago when my roommate's friend suggested that I look into public health programs instead, even though I'd just told her I'd submitted all my higher ed applications.

Edited by Lulubelle