Sh*t people say when you are applying to grad school

Clou12

"Is it really that competitive? I can't imagine how that many people want to be anthropologists..."

and earlier in the process...

"Are you still planning on applying to PhD programs? The deadlines are coming up soon aren't they? Doesn't seem like you've done much." 

Edited by C'estLaVie

Recently annoying - psychology "jokes."  In almost every new conversation I have had lately about grad school, I've gotten one of two jokes:

Me: I was admitted to X Psychology program!

Them: As a patient? (har. har. har.)

or

Them: Great, then you'll be able to fix So-And-So! (nevermind that I'm in experimental, not counseling/clinical -- that would interfere with the punchline!)

Newsflash: The last 15 people I talked to made that EXACT joke. You're not as funny as you think you are.  <_<

Wednesday

Me: So I got into one of the schools I applied to. Yay!

Friend: Congrats! When do you hear back from your other schools.

Me:Probably not until late next week at the earliest.

Friday

Same Friend: Have you heard back from any other schools?

Me: No. I probably won't know any more until sometime late next week.

Today

Same Friend: Have you heard back from any other schools?

Hahaha. I love it. I had a couple of friends like that, too. 

Them: Great, then you'll be able to fix So-And-So! (nevermind that I'm in experimental, not counseling/clinical -- that would interfere with the punchline!)

Newsflash: The last 15 people I talked to made that EXACT joke. You're not as funny as you think you are.  <_<

I get variations of this one all the time, such as, "Oh, then you can diagnose/analyze me," or, "So you'll be able to prove ____ is crazy?"

My favorite is: "So then you'll be able to read my mind?" To which I reply, "psychOLOGY is not the same as psychIC" or just, "Yes."

I had a recent conversation with someone about how apparently useless a computer science PhD was. Their argument was Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg didn't even finish undergrad and were able to be successful...I facepalmed and walked away,

Edited by OhMySocks

I had a recent conversation with someone about how apparently useless a computer science PhD was. Their argument was Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg didn't even finish undergrad and were able to be successful...I facepalmed and walked away,

I don't even know where to begin explaining how stupid that is.

I'm the first to attend and graduate college from my family, so my dear mother doesn't realize how difficult and selective this process is. When I got my first rejection she just casually stated:

"Oh, so they actually look at the applications and deny people?" 

I'm the first to attend and graduate college from my family, so my dear mother doesn't realize how difficult and selective this process is. When I got my first rejection she just casually stated:

I'm a first generation college student applying to PhD programs, I feel your pain! 

I talked to my military buddy the other night, whom I grew up with.

I told him that I received 2 rejections so far. He replied "What!!?? You're kidding me!" I appreciate his confidence in me, but obviously he doesn't QUITE get the process. Oh well! :)

LOL. 

upon hearing I got into Columbia : "oh it must be because you're _my non-American nationality_.. Columbia loves exotic people!"

Sorry, but that one is TRUE, at least in engineering (trust me, I'm a grad student at Columbia, and you will see almost no american people in the engineering programs; in average, 15% are french - my case - 30% are indian, and 30% are chinese, the rest for some other European or Asian countries, as well as a few North African students + 1/2 american students in each prog. And this actually gets worse when you look at the PhD programs, that are constituted of 75% of chinese students + one or two european student and sometimes one Indian student that gets lost there). Honestly, I won't deny the only reason I got accepted as a master's student at Columbia in 2011 is my french citizenship ; with the exact same application, if I was American, I would not even have been considered for an interview. 

The ones I hate most:

"Oh you're applying for PhD? Oh, you've got good grades and you're smart, you'll be fine" (isn't is the case of EVERY SINGLE applicant to a PhD program?)

"What would you do a PhD in the US anyway? You should have stayed in France, our master's degree are so much better. Especially for people coming from your school, you should be able to get a good managerial position within 4 or 5 years. It's stupid to try to get more knowledge - and you will be paid with money from my taxes !!!??! - when you can immediately get money" (no comment on that one. That's just super arrogant, proof of immense stupidity, and THAT'S NOT WHAT I WANT TO DO ANYWAY. No wonder we're so bad at anything closely related to research)

Awesome! I don't feel alone....I'm super excited and people still wonder why ("why did you apply there?"). Sometimes I feel I might have been the only applicant....

My answer to that question is always "I like snow."

I'm a first generation college student applying to PhD programs, I feel your pain!

I talked to my military buddy the other night, whom I grew up with.

I told him that I received 2 rejections so far. He replied "What!!?? You're kidding me!" I appreciate his confidence in me, but obviously he doesn't QUITE get the process. Oh well! :)

I'm first generation as well. Today I found out that my sister-in-law and her husband are moving back to Fort Worth. They relocated due to a promotion about a year ago. When we told my mom the news she said "Hopefully now you can apply to local programs and stay in Texas." I casually told her that this is not how things work (deadlines, etc.). She confidently replied, "There's still time." Ughhh...

"You're so smart, I think you'll get in everywhere you applied and have to CHOOSE where you are going.  They might even call and beg you to come!" 

SMH!!!!  I will be very lucky to even get one acceptance letter based on what I have learned about the competitive nature of my program. Never mind that "I'm smart" doesn't work on these applications... because EVERYONE is... 

"You're so smart, I think you'll get in everywhere you applied and have to CHOOSE where you are going.  They might even call and beg you to come!" 

SMH!!!!  I will be very lucky to even get one acceptance letter based on what I have learned about the competitive nature of my program. Never mind that "I'm smart" doesn't work on these applications... because EVERYONE is... 

Honestly. I've heard this several times. Clearly no one understands.