Sh*t Grad Applicants Say

gellert

"No, you don't understand. I HAD to buy this new/expensive sweater. What if I get a grad school interview? Preparation is key."

"Well, eight people posted interview invites for Awesomesauce U on the results survey, but since none of them revealed themselves in the Notif Thread I'm guessing they're all fake. Still hope for me, ha!"

*friends inviting you and you respond with:

"All right I'll do [insert some awesome activity]... it'll probably be the last time I do [some awesome activity] with you guys before I move away!"

and a slew of other things like:

.. last super bowl with my friends, gotta do it!

.. last snowboarding trip with the homies, totally down!

.. last new years celebration on the east coast, i'm soo in! and i'm getting wasted!

.. last chance to blah blah blah

Edited by cacao to cacao

ME: "Maybe if I get into Berkeley I won't go. I don't really want to leave NY."

FRIEND: "You're not serious, are you?"

ME: "No. Well...maybe. I don't want to go. But I can't not go."

Note to all: After thinking and planning and working on this for years, I can't believe the crazy thoughts that are going through my head right now. This process freaking SUCKS!!! I mean, who am I to turn down Berkeley?

Note to all: After thinking and planning and working on this for years, I can't believe the crazy thoughts that are going through my head right now. This process freaking SUCKS!!! I mean, who am I to turn down Berkeley?

This must be some weird kind of masochistic defense/coping mechanism because I do the same thing like every two days. If I turn down a PhD with funding opp (since I only applied to one PhD), someone have me killed.

Edited by BreathingSister

Typical conversation with parents...

"Don't tell me they'll accept me! You don't know what you're talking about!"

2 minutes later...

"What do you mean, I'll have other options if they don't accept me? You don't believe in me?"

Typical conversation with parents...

"Don't tell me they'll accept me! You don't know what you're talking about!"

2 minutes later...

"What do you mean, I'll have other options if they don't accept me? You don't believe in me?"

Yes. Hahahah.

"Yeah, I KNOW they said they definitely won't send any results before next Monday, but what if they changed their minds?" *refresh*

- "What are my chances (rate from 0-100%) of getting in at XXX University? I want a specific value. Thankss."

OMG, I do that to my SO all the time! And I freak out when his numbers fluctuate: "what do you mean 80%? Last week you said 90%!!!"

Any one else's friends, family and SOs suffering from our constant anxiety and obsession lately? lol

This is my actual thought process for the past month - we really are so predictable!