Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Finally got a call from U of T today that I’ve been offered admission. Funding and other details to follow soon via snail mail

You got a call? I thought people who were accepted got mailed packages...

Congratulations!! Because you received a phone call, I'm assuming that you were initially waitlisted?

Finally got a call from U of T today that I’ve been offered admission. Funding and other details to follow soon via snail mail

Edited by MSW13

Awesome, congrats! Was this your top choice?  This is probably going to make a lot of people waiting to hear back from Rye happy! FINALLY decisions are coming out!

I just got a letter in the mail telling me I was accepted to the Ryerson MSW program. (Dated March 12th for anyone wondering). It's been a long wait! Good luck to everyone else waiting.

Awesome, congrats! Was this your top choice?  This is probably going to make a lot of people waiting to hear back from Rye happy! FINALLY decisions are coming out!

I am still waiting on York. I only applied to Ryerson and York because of their focus on social policy and macro practice. I prefer York but only due to proximity from my residence.

MSW13, I have to say as a side note that I read the 2012 waiting thread and have to say you are very positive! Really helped me not be super stressed in my wait when I heard of your acceptance. Still a little stressed though regardless lol Congrats to you to!

heyy does anyone know what the application status "recommended for acceptance' for windsor means!?
I'm sure this means you will probably get an acceptance, but this stresses me out as mine is still "referred to department" :(

Thank you so much for your kind comments!

I hope you hear good things from York soon! How long do you have to respond to Ryerson? Hopefully York will be a bit better this year and you wont have to accept your offer to Ryerson without knowing what your status is for York.

I am still waiting on York. I only applied to Ryerson and York because of their focus on social policy and macro practice. I prefer York but only due to proximity from my residence.

MSW13, I have to say as a side note that I read the 2012 waiting thread and have to say you are very positive! Really helped me not be super stressed in my wait when I heard of your acceptance. Still a little stressed though regardless lol Congrats to you to!

Thank you so much for your kind comments!

I hope you hear good things from York soon! How long do you have to respond to Ryerson? Hopefully York will be a bit better this year and you wont have to accept your offer to Ryerson without knowing what your status is for York.

Thanks! I hope so too. I have until April 2nd to decide on Ryerson.

Congratulations!! Because you received a phone call, I'm assuming that you were initially waitlisted?

I was waitlisted last year. Was told today my package has been posted and I should receive it soon.

Edited by pbaid

You got a call? I thought people who were accepted got mailed packages...

My package is in the mail and should arrive later this week or early next week. Good luck Scotto

I want to say that perhaps they applied to the 1-year program?? At least for my sanity?!

Yeah, this is pretty much what I told myself. Otherwise my level anxiety will rise significantly.

I believe it's the 1 year program. I haven't heard of any other 2 yr programs sending out admissions decisions other than Carlton and Victoria, otherwise we would have heard more about it on here for sure. It's nerve wracking, I know, but we're just gonna have to hold tight for at least 3 more weeks.... 

It would be nice to know so that I can decide if I should find more volunteer work this month or just look for an extra part time job to save up for my studies. What a long wait.

Does anyone know if it is possible to accept an offer now and decline it later? I received an email saying that I have been accepted to the 2 year MSW program at UVic. However, I really want to get into U of T but I probably won't know if I get in or not for another month or two (or maybe even longer). The email didn't give me a deadline to accept the offer, so I'm not sure what to do. Can I accept the offer and then decline it if I get into U of T?

If you don't have to pay upfront, then I'd say wait until the deadline and accept the offer if you still haven't heard back from U of T. Things happen in life that are out of our control, so I'm sure there have been people who have accepted in the past and later declined. ex: health reasons, financial, death in family, etc... They can't hold you to it if you change your mind. But tell them as soon as you can so the next person in line has enough time to get their things in order to begin the program. 

Just out of curiosity, when did they send out the offer of admission?

Does anyone know if it is possible to accept an offer now and decline it later? I received an email saying that I have been accepted to the 2 year MSW program at UVic. However, I really want to get into U of T but I probably won't know if I get in or not for another month or two (or maybe even longer). The email didn't give me a deadline to accept the offer, so I'm not sure what to do. Can I accept the offer and then decline it if I get into U of T?

Well I'm just being naive and hopeful lol. I did get the email from admissions saying I was on the wait list but my online status still says "under review" I'm not sure if this will ever update though? My first choice is u of t or York so that I would be in Toronto But the wait list at Carleton definitely discouraged me :(

Don't be discouraged!! Each school looks for something different. Just because you are waitlisted at one school doesn't mean you will be at another!

From your post it looks like you have preference for U of T. I will say hold on for a couple of days till you hear from U of T. Although it’s good to let the admission committee know as soon as you make up your mind, you don’t have to stampede yourself into making any decision and later regret. The admission committee knows that people apply to multiple schools and making a decision to accept/reject an offer can take a couple of days.

Edited by pbaid

If you don't have to pay upfront, then I'd say wait until the deadline and accept the offer if you still haven't heard back from U of T. Things happen in life that are out of our control, so I'm sure there have been people who have accepted in the past and later declined. ex: health reasons, financial, death in family, etc... They can't hold you to it if you change your mind. But tell them as soon as you can so the next person in line has enough time to get their things in order to begin the program. 

Just out of curiosity, when did they send out the offer of admission?

Thanks for the advice :) The deadline is April 8 so I hope I hear something from U of T by then.

I got my offer of admission yesterday night via email.