Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Trying to stay upbeat and positive...

I'm feeling SUPER pumped for Windsor today! Looking through their website both social work and the school in general, twitter feeds, and this forum! I know that A LOT of people think Windsor is "gross" and cringe when thinking about the city (at least when I bring it up) but I'm feeling super drawn to it! Hoping for the best...

Trying to stay upbeat and positive...   I'm feeling SUPER pumped for Windsor today! Looking through their website both social work and the school in general, twitter feeds, and this forum! I know that A LOT of people think Windsor is "gross" and cringe when thinking about the city (at least when I bring it up) but I'm feeling super drawn to it! Hoping for the best...
I love your positive attitude!!!! I am hoping for the best for both of us. :)

What's wrong with Windsor? I can't imagine why people would think that. I would be ok with living there, too. A huge plus is that you don't need a car, like at Laurier. As a student, a car is huge drain on the wallet. I am hoping I can get away without having one at least until I graduate.

Trying to stay upbeat and positive...

I'm feeling SUPER pumped for Windsor today! Looking through their website both social work and the school in general, twitter feeds, and this forum! I know that A LOT of people think Windsor is "gross" and cringe when thinking about the city (at least when I bring it up) but I'm feeling super drawn to it! Hoping for the best...

What's wrong with Windsor? I can't imagine why people would think that. I would be ok with living there, too. A huge plus is that you don't need a car, like at Laurier. As a student, a car is huge drain on the wallet. I am hoping I can get away without having one at least until I graduate.

Does Windsor have any stats on how many grad secure jobs right out of their MSW?

I am not sure. I haven't seen any, though. I think you'd also have to consider people's willingness to move. How many Windsor grads are originally from the region? How many are willing to move to find a new job? These are important questions to ask.

I personally think that if you are a member of the order of social workers, this is what counts the most, along with having good internships and studying in a stream that relates to the area you want to work in. Once you get your first job and acquire 2-3 years of experience, it should start to get easier to find employment.

Does Windsor have any stats on how many grad secure jobs right out of their MSW?

Edited by jenste

I live in Windsor and there is nothing wrong with it other than the people who have nothing better to do than complain about it! :)

Right?! For some reason everyone I talk to about Windsor have something negative to say (even my brother who attended the university and my friend who is currently completing their Master's there). Perhaps it's a Western Ontario bias against the city as sad as it is. It always bothers me when I hear it being referred to as the "armpit" of Ontario/Canada. Great school by any standards! 

Right?! For some reason everyone I talk to about Windsor have something negative to say (even my brother who attended the university and my friend who is currently completing their Master's there). Perhaps it's a Western Ontario bias against the city as sad as it is. It always bothers me when I hear it being referred to as the "armpit" of Ontario/Canada. Great school by any standards! 

Yah it gets annoying when everyone living in Windsor says that it's a terrible place to be when it's not. In fact, a lot of people who "can't wait to get out of Windsor" end up moving back because they realize it wasn't so bad after all and it's where their family and friends are. Although I would not be opposed to moving out of Windsor in the future because of lack of jobs, I definitely would not be upset if I continued to live here either. You just have to have a positive outlook of wherever you are!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have just been accepted into Laurier 's 2 year MSW! via email!

Whoa!! Congratulations flusty!!

Congrats!

Unfortunately I was rejected via snail mail today :(

So sorry to hear that.

Congrats Flusty!

Sorry about the news AccioMSW. I wish you best of luck on Windsor.

Aww.... still no news for me. I wonder if they would tell me anything by phone?

Congrats!

I'm sorry :(

I'm nervous to check my mail now. I wish they sent rejections via email and acceptances via postal service. at least opening an email isn't as emotional and scary hahah 

Just got into Laurier!! I am shocked!! OMG!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have just been accepted into Laurier 's 2 year MSW! via email!

Do you guys mind sharing how many years of work experience/volunteer experience you have? 

5 years as a nursing assistant, 1 1/2 yrs volunteering at a crisis centre once a week, and a fulltime internship for a semester at a psychiatric centre doing social and recreational activities.

Do you guys mind sharing how many years of work experience/volunteer experience you have? 

Congrats!

Am sorry to hear... but you still have Windsor! Heres to hoping that you hear good news real soon! 

Still nothing for me.... really starting to get super worried and I'm feeling very confident I didn't get in. They probably don't take my 2nd degree into consideration and my 1st undergrad GPA isn't high enough, so despite the ridiculous amount of work experience and my killer marks from my child studies degree, I have some serious doubts. Trying to come up with a plan B....

Have been working in the CSS sector--primarily with seniors for the past 3.5 years....intermittent volunteer experience with a local youth agency within a 2 year sparn...