Fall 2014 applicants??

I'm not sure if it's expected or not, but I feel that it's usually a good idea to respond and let them know you're excited/etc. about the offer, but you're also waiting on several more schools before you can make a final decision. That's what I've been saying, anyway. Also, it's a good chance to ask them to put you in touch with students/faculty at that school to start finding out information

I'm with shortstack--definitely good protocol. I'm in an awkward position where I tentatively scheduled a visit with a school that accepted me but am waitlisted at my first choice. The visit would be the first week of April (due to scheduling conflicts) but if I'm accepted to the waitlisted school (hopefully before or right around April) I know that I want to go there hands-down. I don't know whether to go ahead and schedule the visit (I'm driving so all it would be is booking a hotel) or wait and visit after April 15 if it becomes my only acceptance. 

Ahhh! 

I'm with shortstack--definitely good protocol. I'm in an awkward position where I tentatively scheduled a visit with a school that accepted me but am waitlisted at my first choice. The visit would be the first week of April (due to scheduling conflicts) but if I'm accepted to the waitlisted school (hopefully before or right around April) I know that I want to go there hands-down. I don't know whether to go ahead and schedule the visit (I'm driving so all it would be is booking a hotel) or wait and visit after April 15 if it becomes my only acceptance.

Ahhh!

Oh my! Well, it never hurts to visit, especially if you have the money. Might turn out to be a nice little road trip :) and accepting a visit isn't accepting an offer, so you're still in the clear there too. Who knows! You might even visit the school and absolutely love it! Try not to see it as a hard spot, but as an opportunity :)

Despejado, I'm sorry to hear that about the funding. Buttttt, hang in there, still likely you will end up with that funding. I imagine there is lots of people who turn down MA offers……I can understand your being let down. Sheesh, money gets in the way of everything. If only we could all afford education no matter what. 

Whew. Sorry about being so negative earlier, last night was a little rough... But YES, you are so right. If Syracuse is the right program, funding will come. If it's not, hopefully someone else will throw all the money in their department at me to make up for it ;)

Well, it's good to know that they are starting to contact folks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I have no idea what my chances are. 

Maybe we'll both be going there in the fall!

Oh, just to be clear, I contacted them, they didn't contact me.  I'd sent an email that asked for a ballpark estimate as to when they'd be releasing acceptances and rejections.  The lady (I think the DGS) replied to me about my specific status even though I didn't ask for it.  It's funny, because when I read the line  "your file is not being moved to the next stage..." I immediately started to think...yet another rejection.  But then I read on...

I still don't feel that I have a "waitlist."  More like a "not a rejection."  (Really, REALLY ambiguous). But I guess it's something. 

Anyway, if you're curious to know your status, you could do what I did and ask the general question over email.  (Anywhere from Feb. 25th and onward, I don't think any school would consider it pestering.)  I've done it twice now -- once with Loyola Chicago and once with GWU, and in both cases, they gave me my specific status.

In Loyola's case, though, it was a rejection. 

Edited by purpleperson

I definitely won't take it if there's not funding. They said I'm high on the wait list for funding and said there was a "very good chance" they could offer me an assistantship this year based on previous years. Still, I was expecting an acceptance with funding. More waiting feels like eternity.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Nova as well, so hopefully I won't have to reapply. No matter what, I won't be taking on debt this year.

There's a good chance you'll get funding.  I mentioned in another thread that back when I did an M.A., I was accepted in February with no funding, put on a funding waitlist in April, and then got funding in JULY.  So...it could happen. 

There's a good chance you'll get funding.  I mentioned in another thread that back when I did an M.A., I was accepted in February with no funding, put on a funding waitlist in April, and then got funding in JULY.  So...it could happen. 

Holy cow! July... how does that even happen? 

I'm hoping since she said that I'm "ranked very near the top" on the wait list, and she said "there is still a very good chance we will be able to offer you an assistantship this year," that people on my position on the wait list have been accepted with funding there before. I already got into the program, so it's just a matter of money now. They've used optimistic language like this with me before, so hopefully it turns out for the better (whatever that is). Thank you, Purpleperson :)

Holy cow! July... how does that even happen? 

I'm hoping since she said that I'm "ranked very near the top" on the wait list, and she said "there is still a very good chance we will be able to offer you an assistantship this year," that people on my position on the wait list have been accepted with funding there before. I already got into the program, so it's just a matter of money now. They've used optimistic language like this with me before, so hopefully it turns out for the better (whatever that is). Thank you, Purpleperson :)

Her saying that there is a very good chance is VERY positive.  I was told, in a very grave tone, to not hold my breath, and yet I got funding.  So if she's actually saying "very good chance," that's almost like saying you're going to get funding.  I think departments err on the side of caution when speaking to people about their prospects for admittance and funding.  She's not being all that cautious in her wording with you, which means she feels she doesn't need to be.  They are experienced in how things tend to play out over the months of March, April, May, June, July....

Edited by purpleperson

Her saying that there is a very good chance is VERY positive.  I was told, in a very grave tone, to not hold my breath, and yet I got funding.  So if she's actually saying "very good chance," that's almost like saying you're going to get funding.  I think departments err on the side of caution when speaking to people about their prospects for admittance and funding.  She's not being all that cautious in her wording with you, which means she feels she doesn't need to be.  They are experienced in how things tend to play out over the months of March, April, May, June, July....

That is SO good to hear. I'm guarding my optimism all the same, but that's so relieving! I emailed her back last night to let her know that they were my only offer and I would very much be interested in knowing if and when funding does become available. Hopefully the DGS knowing I won't turn the assistantship down will help me slightly in the long haul, as well.

I did ask this question in a different forum, but I want all of your opinions as well... Hypothetically, if I end up with funding and am accepted to Nova with equal funding, which would be the better choice? Is one program better than the other? Nova isn't ranked because they don't have a PhD program to rank, but I've been told by several professors that it is a good school and looked upon favorably. Also, since they don't have a PhD program, they are likely to spend more time and focus on their MA students than at Syracuse, where they have to tend to both MA and PhD students. This situation is totally hypothetical, as I could end up with funding from neither, but I do think it's an interesting question/situation.

I'm having the same semantical trauma as Des re: wait listed (or, in her case, getting funding). His wondering to me about getting acceptance was that it seems "quite hopeful to me". 

DOES THAT MEAN I WILL GET IN OR SHOULD I JUST CRY NOW AND SAVE MYSELF THE EFFORT LATER. 

But seriously. Can't this process just be over? 

I did ask this question in a different forum, but I want all of your opinions as well... Hypothetically, if I end up with funding and am accepted to Nova with equal funding, which would be the better choice? Is one program better than the other? Nova isn't ranked because they don't have a PhD program to rank, but I've been told by several professors that it is a good school and looked upon favorably. Also, since they don't have a PhD program, they are likely to spend more time and focus on their MA students than at Syracuse, where they have to tend to both MA and PhD students. This situation is totally hypothetical, as I could end up with funding from neither, but I do think it's an interesting question/situation.

Gauging the reputation of MA programs can be tricky. Your best guess is to ask the DGS about where their graduates end up, and see if that lines up with where you see yourself in two to three years. 

That is SO good to hear. I'm guarding my optimism all the same, but that's so relieving! I emailed her back last night to let her know that they were my only offer and I would very much be interested in knowing if and when funding does become available. Hopefully the DGS knowing I won't turn the assistantship down will help me slightly in the long haul, as well.

I think it depends. Say you get accepted to both. Thats when I'd start asking questions.

"Who will I be working with?"

"What level of individual attention am I given?"

"How many others will my advisor be advising?"

"Where does the funding come? (fellowship? teaching? etc?)"

"How much leeway am I given in designing a course?"

"What are my opportunities for summer?" 

"Am I in class with PhD students?"

"Any cross-department courses?"

"Travel funding?"

"Research funding?"

"What resources have you got for me? (Library, artifacts, etc)"

If it all comes out even ask yourself, "who has the best pizza nearest to campus?"

ETA: Also - what Proflorax said.

Edited by BowTiesAreCool

I'm having the same semantical trauma as Des re: wait listed (or, in her case, getting funding). His wondering to me about getting acceptance was that it seems "quite hopeful to me". 

DOES THAT MEAN I WILL GET IN OR SHOULD I JUST CRY NOW AND SAVE MYSELF THE EFFORT LATER. 

WHY ARE YOU POSTING HERE INSTEAD OF TRYING TO BECOME KATE WINSLET'S BFF?! ;)

ETA: I realize the premiere isn't until later tonight, but plans such as these take time! Or maybe I am alone in my absolute love and adoration of Kate Winslet? 

Also, we'll just ignore that I misspelled her name the first time I posted this...

Edited by proflorax

I did the crying thing last night, and honestly, it helped. I feel much more relaxed about the whole thing, but then again, I tend to get all of my feelings about things out at once and then move on. If it turns out they actually do fund us, then YAY US and we will throw a dance party (together) with a strong emphasis on eating afterward. If they don't, then it wasn't the right program for us anyway, and we will find the one that is. In it together, AC :)

I think it depends. Say you get accepted to both. Thats when I'd start asking questions.

"Who will I be working with?"

"What level of individual attention am I given?"

"How many others will my advisor be advising?"

"Where does the funding come? (fellowship? teaching? etc?)"

"How much leeway am I given in designing a course?"

"What are my opportunities for summer?" 

"Am I in class with PhD students?"

"Any cross-department courses?"

"Travel funding?"

"Research funding?"

"What resources have you got for me? (Library, artifacts, etc)"

If it all comes out even ask yourself, "who has the best pizza nearest to campus?"

ETA: Also - what Proflorax said.

Thank you guys! If it comes down to pizza, then it's Nova for sure. PHILLY!

Hopefully I end up with decisions to make, and if I do, I'll pm with both you, Bowties, and Proflorax (if you don't mind) for some insights and help in decision-making. As of now, I have zero decisions to make, though, so back to my hazelnut coffee.

I'll let you in on a secret.

Starbucks Hazelnut Frappe with a shot of Mocha.

Bingo. Nutella Coffee.

Dude I seriously get mocha frappuccinos with added hazelnut. I SERIOUSLY DO. You just blew my mind.

Hypothetically, if I end up with funding and am accepted to Nova with equal funding, which would be the better choice? 

How much does location matter to you? Syracuse is a city that people tend to outright hate or to sort-of love in a conflicted way. The campus is beautiful, but the surrounding area is sketchy. The weather has brief episodes of gorgeousness in spring and fall but is overall very bad: hot and humid in summer, brutally cold and snowy in winter, rainy and grey for long stretches at a time. I've never been to Villanova, so can't say. All else being equal, though (like funding), I would still choose Syracuse for their ranking.

I adore Kate, Pro. You're just assuming that she and I aren't already best friends. Your mistake.  B)

Also, you're right, Des. It's so easy to freak out when you go from the very calm "nothing good is going to happen" defeatist perspective to "ZOMG what, you might want me?". It's rough. Despite feeling like hell all the time I was telling myself "you're going to come up empty", it at least made me feel oddly secure haha. Also, since this school is my top choice...I'm just floored. And terrified. 

I'm going to binge eat popcorn so soon. 

How much does location matter to you? Syracuse is a city that people tend to outright hate or to sort-of love in a conflicted way. The campus is beautiful, but the surrounding area is sketchy. The weather has brief episodes of gorgeousness in spring and fall but is overall very bad: hot and humid in summer, brutally cold and snowy in winter, rainy and grey for long stretches at a time. I've never been to Villanova, so can't say. All else being equal, though (like funding), I would still choose Syracuse for their ranking.

It matters, but it's only two years, so maybe it doesn't matter as much as it would if it was five or six. I think my problem is that I've been to Philly and LOVED it, and I've heard the same less-than-positive things you just said about Syracuse before. I think you're right, though. If Syracuse ends up coming through with funding, I think I'll have to take it.

I adore Kate, Pro. You're just assuming that she and I aren't already best friends. Your mistake.  B)

Also, you're right, Des. It's so easy to freak out when you go from the very calm "nothing good is going to happen" defeatist perspective to "ZOMG what, you might want me?". It's rough. Despite feeling like hell all the time I was telling myself "you're going to come up empty", it at least made me feel oddly secure haha. Also, since this school is my top choice...I'm just floored. And terrified. 

I'm going to binge eat popcorn so soon. 

Of all things to binge eat, popcorn is a good choice. Not going to make you feel as guilty as say... ice cream (which I have plenty of experience with this week). And YES, the "I have a chance?!" range of emotion is much more wide and brutal than the defeatist perspective. Holding onto hope is never really ideal, but I suppose we have to deal with it :)

We're long lost family. 'cept I'm dark-irish.

I'm Scottish, but you can find a variation of my last name in Ireland. I'm also dark, but that's because I'm Scottish-Mexican. 

Long-lost family is a possibility. I'll claim it.

This may or may not have just changed my life. THANK YOU! :)

My pleasure.

I usually go with the medium sized (I split with a friend... don't judge) and the flavors are right on target.  Also the drizzle matters... a bit. I think they have a hazelnut drizzle - if you get that along with some chocolate drizzle. MMM! Life could be dream.