Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Who wants to play: How many bottles of wine will TMCB drink in the next two and a half weeks? 4 weeks? 6 weeks? 

Person closest without going over gets a bottle of wine... or at least a picture of a bottle that I've drunk in their e-mail.

are you a heavy-weight,  light-weight, or something in-between when it comes to alcohol tolerance? 

are you a heavy-weight,  light-weight, or something in-between when it comes to alcohol tolerance? 

Something in between. Let's say that I would never exceed a bottle and a half in a night if I were drinking solely wine (I think that's why beer is more dangerous for me, especially in Germany in social situations - there are fewer boundaries). Considering that some nights I'm just as happy with a cup of tea or a single glass of wine, the waiting period might certainly play a role. I wonder if anyone could quantify the probability that I will have more than one glass (and whether there might be a clear corollary, like how soon I should hear from programs).

Something in between. Let's say that I would never exceed a bottle and a half in a night if I were drinking solely wine (I think that's why beer is more dangerous for me, especially in Germany in social situations - there are fewer boundaries). Considering that some nights I'm just as happy with a cup of tea or a single glass of wine, the waiting period might certainly play a role. I wonder if anyone could quantify the probability that I will have more than one glass (and whether there might be a clear corollary, like how soon I should hear from programs).

I think you should go to sleep instead :P When I drink and realise I am talking about probability that's what I do in any case ^^

I think you should go to sleep instead :P When I drink and realise I am talking about probability that's what I do in any case ^^

It's Sunday so stores are closed. Fortunately for my health and reputation, I have just the end of a bottle (one glass) available for the evening (my gf's mother bought me a great wine sealing system, highly recommended to any oenophiles out there).

Hello everyone!  I thought maybe I should quit lurking and register.  This waiting period is maybe the most stressful period of my life.

How's everyone holding up? Any good Netflix shows those looking for distractions should be aware of?

I'm delaying the final season of The West Wing with Revenge (guilty pleasure... so bad and yet oddly entertaining).

If you haven't watched House of Cards already, that should distract you for at least a few days.

Hello everyone!  I thought maybe I should quit lurking and register.  This waiting period is maybe the most stressful period of my life.

If you haven't watched House of Cards already, that should distract you for at least a few days.

I'm counting down to the next season. I'll be getting back from a conference in Brussels a day before it's available, and have about 3 weeks before I fly to the States for another conference. Should be a perfect time filler. :)

Edited by TakeMyCoffeeBlack

How's everyone holding up? Any good Netflix shows those looking for distractions should be aware of?

I'm delaying the final season of The West Wing with Revenge (guilty pleasure... so bad and yet oddly entertaining).

Holding up pretty dreadfully, and developing an addiction to the grad cafe results search page despite expecting minimal movement for a couple of weeks...

Might I suggest Sherlock, if you are into British shows? The third season finale just came out today  :D

I've been binge-watching with a vengeance. I exhausted Netflix's supply of somewhat highbrow political thrilleramas and moved on to the most deliciously trashy one ever: Scandal. It's equal parts West Wing, Alias, and Dynasty.

Highly recommend.

Holding up pretty dreadfully, and developing an addiction to the grad cafe results search page despite expecting minimal movement for a couple of weeks...

Might I suggest Sherlock, if you are into British shows? The third season finale just came out today  :D

SHERLOCK START ALREADY!!!

Damn it why do we have to wait until Jan 19 to see even the first episode when the peeps across the ocean have already seen the entire season this does not make any sense whatsoever fml

If you're into science fiction, Orphan Black is a fantastic show. There's only one season out so far (10 episodes), so you have plenty of time to get caught up before the second season debuts on April 19th. It's about clones, and the lead actress, Tatiana Maslany, is incredible!

Have heard enormous amounts of praise for Sherlock as well, although I haven't watched it personally. 

Plus there is this nagging fear that I will get inundated with rejections, and will be in a position too humiliating to report back to you guys on TGC...

Getting rejections is nothing to be ashamed of. I genuinely believe that the rejections I received earlier, and the unsavory conditions I had to live through, made me a helluva lot better person than I was before - not that the bar was too high, but you get my drift. Now I just hope that it also made me a better applicant :)

Have heard enormous amounts of praise for Sherlock as well, although I haven't watched it personally. 

Watching Sherlock is a more cost-effective way of becoming a better person than the one I mentioned above.

SHERLOCK START ALREADY!!!

Damn it why do we have to wait until Jan 19 to see even the first episode when the peeps across the ocean have already seen the entire season this does not make any sense whatsoever fml

Tip: Hola Unblocker

Tip: BBC One

Tip: Get on it!

But I only know this cause my gf is in love with Sherlock. I've been meaning to watch it. I've seen a couple episodes.

Love Orphan Black and sherlock, will start House of Cards today, wanted to wait for my apps to be completely done (UK schools with later deadlines), and since today is also my birthday, I'm hoping it will be really good. I also haven't watched Sherlock S3 yet, something else to look forward to!

What I'm the most terrified of is having to tell my recommenders who really went the extra mile that I did not get accepted anywhere... Hoping I won't have to do that!

Anyone else too scared to read over their submitted applications for a fear of discovering rogue commas or an affect/effect style grammatical error? Well this guy is... Maybe we should change the mood of this thread? Somebody must have a great story about getting admitted somewhere that defies the odds or is at least quirky and humorous. My good people, please share so I do not pull all my hair out before February! 

It is definitely the longest month ever in my life. in. my. life. 

It also does not help that January has 31 days instead of 30.

Edited by jazzrap

Anyone else too scared to read over their submitted applications for a fear of discovering rogue commas or an affect/effect style grammatical error? Well this guy is... Maybe we should change the mood of this thread? Somebody must have a great story about getting admitted somewhere that defies the odds or is at least quirky and humorous. My good people, please share so I do not pull all my hair out before February! 

Of course my situation is a bit odd. As many of you already know, I applied simultaneously for Ph.D. programs and a Fulbright last year. I won the Fulbright AND got into a program (unfunded). I've deferred with the program, but applied elsewhere in the event that money does not come through... Anyway:

I applied to a dual program, where I'd receive a masters from another school at the uni simultaneously with the masters/Ph.D. in political science. A few weeks after the application deadline, I realized that the university required dual program applicants to submit TWO applications (application fee, materials and all). I called the masters part of the program, for which I had not officially applied, to see what could be done to correct course. They were very accommodating and just asked that I get it all in before the week's end, when the ad com would receive the materials (I got it in the same day - even though I needed a prof to fill out a supplementary form on a specific skill, etc.). 

A week later, the master's program contacted me to let me know I'd got in! WOW! I was actually at Alcatraz Island when I got the e-mail on my phone and I was ecstatic! I had already been rejected from a few programs at that point. I e-mailed to ask about financial aid/scholarships for the master's program (i.e. when I'd hear), and they responded that they were awarding me their very highest scholarship. Talk about putting me in a good mood!

About a week passed and I still hadn't heard from the Ph.D. program. Here on GradCafe, people were already reporting acceptances, and it seemed pretty clear I wasn't getting one. I reached out to the master's program to ask about whether I'd be able to apply to the Ph.D. program for the dual degree in my first year at the master's program, if I were to take that route. 

The response I received really threw me off. It was something along the lines of: "I'm a little confused, because we had been told you were accepted. So I called the program and, congratulations, you have been!"

Wow! Of course it turned out that the administrative assistant for the Ph.D. program just kind of forgot about my letter, and so when she sent it to me about an hour after the master's program from the other school contacted her, it had all sorts of wrong details meant for someone else (including - ouch - funding information).

I hope this provides some comic relief for others. It certainly put me on a rollercoaster.

I am currently googling "how to answer the phone if you think your POI is calling." Being an introvert is just terrible and it becomes worse under stress/anxiety/insecurity. 

*You think he/she is calling because you've memorized area codes. 

Edit: This is actually fairly pathetic on my part because I do work in an industry that requires daily interaction with strangers and I do talk a lot. 

Edited by luckyducky

I am currently googling "how to answer the phone if you think your POI is calling." Being an introvert is just terrible and it becomes worse under stress/anxiety/insecurity. 

I thought I am the only one who googles staff like that.))) And yeah, all my 'introversion' issues definitely come out and shine when it comes to applications, communicating professors/schools etc.

Speaking of which, I want to ask you guys for an advice. I had a good interaction with one of my POIs, and he asked me to keep him posted when I apply. I did so in early December and received no response from him, which would acknowledge that he received my email and knows that I applied. I assumed it is pretty normal granted how busy professors are + I didn't want to be intrusive, so I never emailed him again. But now I am freaking out, as I am afraid that he might not get my email. Should I chill or should I email him again?

One more issue of that sort. Another professor suggested that "we should schedule a phone conversation once the admission process is underway in December." I assumed that he would be the one to initiate the contact, once he sees my file and decides if he wants to interview me or not. Since he never contacted me in December, I am in doubts again. Should I contact him now?

Edited by jeudepaume

I thought I am the only one who googles staff like that.))) And yeah, all my 'introversion' issues definitely come out and shine when it comes to applications, communicating professors/schools etc.

Speaking of which, I want to ask you guys for an advice. I had a good interaction with one of my POIs, and he asked me to keep him posted when I apply. I did so in early December and received no response from him, which would acknowledge that he received my email and knows that I applied. I assumed it is pretty normal granted how busy professors are + I didn't want to be intrusive, so I never emailed him again. But now I am freaking out, as I am afraid that he might not get my email. Should I chill or should I email him again?

One more issue of that sort. Another professor suggested that "we should schedule a phone conversation once the admission process is underway in December." I assumed that he would be the one to initiate the contact, once he sees my file and decides if he wants to interview me or not. Since he never contacted me in December, I am in doubts again. Should I contact him now?

I wouldn't worry. I'm sure he saw the e-mail but was just busy. As for the other, do you still have the old e-mail? I'd respond directly to it and say something like: "I was wondering if you'd still have time to talk. Of course I haven't yet heard about whether I've been admitted, but..."

Btw, with this whole 'introversion' thing, I have to say, seeing so many people encountering the same sort of problems that I am battling every day, makes me feel better.

P.S. I do think though that it's funny that all these people (including me) are going for an academic career, which presupposes teaching. )))