Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

I know... All my schools traditionally notify quite late. Anyone think Stanford will notify this week, since they met last week?

The list would suggest that only NYU and Pittsburgh are realistic candidates for this week...

I know... All my schools traditionally notify quite late. Anyone think Stanford will notify this week, since they met last week?

The list would suggest that only NYU and Pittsburgh are realistic candidates for this week...

Stanford seems possible...

A few years ago they notified people quite early. U never know..

Damn, TMCB beat me to it... I was actually doing some work xD.

Congrats to the UNC admit!

I console myself with the knowledge that no results from any of my schools showed up yet, but yeah, getting a little stir-crazy here!

Anyone willing to claim UNC?

How come all these school's funding info comes later? I thought most schools funded everyone???

I was pretty sure about this too.. In particular, I'm pretty sure UNC's website said they fully fund all of their students...so unless someone claims the admit, I might be slightly suspicious.

Maybe it's just about the amount?

I.e. they fund all their admits, but did not give the info in the acceptance as to amount, TA commitments etc.?

The website says this, though: "A sizable number of fellowships and assistantships are available for graduate students in the Department of Political Science. The number of these awarded directly by the department varies somewhat from year to year, but recently funds have been sufficient to provide support for the vast majority of graduate students. These departmental awards require service duties that range from ten to fifteen hours per week during the nine-month academic year."

Doesn't seem to be a full funding commitment...

IR Toni I wonder whether you have applied to UNC as well? After seeing the UNC offer reported, I felt sad to know that I did not receive their notification through email.

Congrats to the admit of course:)

Maybe it's just about the amount?

I.e. they fund all their admits, but did not give the info in the acceptance as to amount, TA commitments etc.?

The website says this, though: "A sizable number of fellowships and assistantships are available for graduate students in the Department of Political Science. The number of these awarded directly by the department varies somewhat from year to year, but recently funds have been sufficient to provide support for the vast majority of graduate students. These departmental awards require service duties that range from ten to fifteen hours per week during the nine-month academic year."

Doesn't seem to be a full funding commitment...

Good catch. Perhaps they have changed it. I applied there last year as well, which is when I read up on the funding. I didn't really pay tons of attention to it this year. OR it could just be that I'm misremembering and it was always the "vast majority" and not "all."  :)

Edited by klaasiko

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I'll claim the UNC admit (and one of the UC Davis admits). Thanks for the messages!

The admissions letters came from the graduate school. The short version is that the letter suggested for UC Davis was that the department, not the graduate school, would be in touch regarding funding packages. It was the same for UNC, except their letter was even shorter.

IR Toni I wonder whether you have applied to UNC as well? After seeing the UNC offer reported, I felt sad to know that I did not receive their notification through email.

Congrats to the admit of course:)

Nope, did not apply to UNC, or any school that traditionally releases decisions in January, so I'm kind of grasping at straws, hoping at least one of my schools is very early this year, and I get accepted to exactly this school. You applied there, I presume. One notification isn't much yet, so I wouldn't lose hope yet, especially bc noone claimed it yet, and funding wasn't included. Might just take them another couple of days to hammer out their final list, depending on grad school funding!

Good luck everyone!

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I'll claim the UNC admit (and one of the UC Davis admits). Thanks for the messages!

The admissions letters came from the graduate school. The short version is that the letter suggested for UC Davis was that the department, not the graduate school, would be in touch regarding funding packages. It was the same for UNC, except their letter was even shorter.

Huge congrats on UNC:) Do you think their graduate school emailed all admits simultaneously?

Congrats, you're crushing this cycle so far!

Congrats Tremblay!

I'm in Toni's boat, where most schools I applied to don't release till at least first week of Feb, so my gradcafe activity is likely not very healthy.

My birthday is, however, in the first week of feb so I'm hoping a POI or two notice this and decide to give me some good news that day...

Wow two admits already! Well done indeed!