Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Yes, it was me. Quite relieved, given the fact that I haven't a political science background. Thank you luckyducky!

Hey congrats cautious!! I think you are the first one among us to hear the good news :). Here's to many more to come!

Congrats to everyone who heard already, and especially to cautiously!

In my last cycle, after I had gotten my first acceptance, I was able to be much more chill about the other schools. Started freaking out again when it came to making a decision, but... that's months away.

Hello IRToni,

Is Princeton PE your first choice?

It probably is, at this point. Might change later, however!

My Michigan app doesn't even have a status, complete or otherwise...

I'm hoping for an offer from Princeton PE, although they sent out offers in February last year, I think!

I'm not the biggest fan of German soccer/football, but also assume you like Bayern München? In Germany, a lot of people just think that they have too much money to compete on an even playing field with all the other teams, so utside of Bavaria, you won't find many fans. Hating Bayern München is definitely its own reward in Germany^^.

Yes, that's my team. By the time they play Arsenal in early February, I will have received a bunch of notifications already. Don't know what type of mood I will have when watching the game.

Yes, that's my team. By the time they play Arsenal in early February, I will have received a bunch of notifications already. Don't know what type of mood I will have when watching the game.

When Arsenal (COYG) shock BM, it might not be good. But then you'll have a bunch of acceptances to soothe you ^^

It probably is, at this point. Might change later, however!

I thought NYU or Harvard was your top choice not Princeton PE...Did it change?

Wishing you admission into your top choice!

Hey guys, I still have not finished submitting all my applications yet. How does that sound?

Me neither, still have one (FSU) to go.

And then some European schools (deadlines are in Feb). This process will never end :)

Me neither, still have one (FSU) to go.

And then some European schools (deadlines are in Feb). This process will never end :)

Yup, same here (kind of). All my Ph.D. apps are in. Have a masters app due tomorrow. Everything is submitted, just have to pay the fee... darn fees!

Me too, I have to apply to a couple more places, both in the US and in Europe. It's just so hard to get yourself going again after you're done with the first wave; it feels like it should be over by now.

So, weird question (but hey, I love when this forum is active, so...). Does anyone else get dressed up to do work? I mean, when I'm on a real schedule I can do work in my pajamas (you know, when your only time for research is between 5:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m. and showers seem like a waste of time until the very last minute). But as a Fulbrighter, I'm not on a typical schedule and take very few courses. Especially with grad school decisions dangling like candy you can't reach, I've needed every extra bit of encouragement to work. Oddly enough, that included putting on "business casual" dress clothes. I do this when I go to cafes to read too. I'm not the only one, am I?

Me too, I have to apply to a couple more places, both in the US and in Europe. It's just so hard to get yourself going again after you're done with the first wave; it feels like it should be over by now.

I know this might sound absurd, but I wish I were still working on Ph.D. apps. I felt so in control and like everything was going to work out perfectly. I've been done since mid-December and it's killing me (especially after a very odd/hurtful e-mail from a POI). I kind of wish I could just keep applying and keep applying. Thinking about projects I want to do is so much fun - and the project I am doing is killing me, because I'm having problem finding a specific type of evidence I had hoped to use (how is it possible that LexisNexis and Google can't find a SINGLE hit for articles mentioning "Germany," "court," and "Lisbon" between 2007-09???).

Well, it's been pointed out to me that maybe that was someone asking for Bear to confirm, so it might not mean anything. I was reading it as the interviews are probably informal (and not official adcom business). Hard to say whether they're actually happening, but I wouldn't be surprised. I have no reason to believe otherwise. 

Not sure if it was him, but it said "OSU - Bear" and said something like "when did osu start interviewing?!?!?!?!?!" I don't remember exactly, but it made me giggle.

I must have missed this comment. A shame.

Too late to expect a response from tOSU? Or do they typically send out the interview notifications in waves?

Nobody but Prof. B. knows. This is the first year for this to occur. 

I think they do what they can, as fast as they can. So that they can go through the graduate school and get back to us quickly.  Given that some folks heard from them later in the day, I would imagine more phone calls will follow tomorrow. I hope Dr. B is getting the appreciation he deserves for the work he does there. 

Thank you!

As to the question of what we're doing, when, etc.: I've sent medium-list files to POIs to get their feedback. This is a new procedure. I've also noted that that feedback would probably be more valuable if they got to know the candidates a bit better than they would by just reading the files. Some are inclined to call; some aren't; some are sick or on medical leave or out of town. So some of you might be getting calls or emails from OSU POIs. If you do, I can confirm that you're on the medium list, which is about twice as long as the short list will be. And I cannot predict how the process of narrowing down a short list will go. Seriously.

You've been amazing, BFB. Unfortunately, no POI at OSU for my interests :-(...

Thanks :-)  And no worries. Sometimes we do accept people who don't have a clear POI here, on the theory that they're smart and their interests will probably change (mine certainly did). But it's always a much harder decision to make.

Wish I had applied to OSU, just so I could have some idea of what one of my schools is doing.

You've been amazing, BFB. Unfortunately, no POI at OSU for my interests :-(...

I take great comfort when there is no mention a school I applied to. If I started seeing people talking about schools I applied on here, I'd probably start losing it...

Only thing worse than a girl telling you no to dance is seeing her go with someone else. Maybe I should stop hanging out behind the gymnasium on Saturday nights...

I take great comfort when there is no mention a school I applied to. If I started seeing people talking about schools I applied on here, I'd probably start losing it...

Only thing worse than a girl telling you no to dance is seeing her go with someone else. Maybe I should stop hanging out behind the gymnasium on Saturday nights...

I hear this! 

Thanks :-)  And no worries. Sometimes we do accept people who don't have a clear POI here, on the theory that they're smart and their interests will probably change (mine certainly did). But it's always a much harder decision to make.

But is it more true that colleges accept younger people with no clear POI than older people?

I have heard people say that in economics--that they prefer younger (below 25) applicants, but not sure how true this might be for political science too...