Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

God I hope so! But, I can tell you living in the vicinity, we've been absolutely destroyed by the snowpocalypse this year - another 6+ inches today alone. I wouldn't be surprised if they are behind the historical schedule.  

Oh heavens, good point.

I'm come to a place where I have finally realized all the speculation and emotional roll-coaster is complete my fault. There is nothing that can be done that will change when and what I hear back. I'm excited to know and wish i knew now. BUT, for the same reasons that time-series are so fun, time does not stop and only moves in one direction. So it will happen eventually. 

I hope other people can find their zen in the next few weeks...and that mine lasts.... 

If anybody wants to come to my place and help me shovel a 350ft driveway because I'm too cheap to get a snowblower... I can promise you that you will forget about waiting on admissions decisions for a while. I can further compensate in hot chocolate, Annie's mac'n'cheese and outdated IR books. Deal?

PS -- MEGA LIKE POINTS to the person who gets the post #2000!!!

Edited by IR IR IR PhD

If anybody wants to come to my place and help me shovel a 350ft driveway because I'm too cheap to get a snowblower... I can promise you that you will forget about waiting on admissions decisions for a while. I can further compensate in hot chocolate, Annie's mac'n'cheese and outdated IR books. Deal?

PS -- MEGA LIKE POINTS to the person who gets the post #2000!!!

That's a pretty massive driveway...

How is Annie's Mac & Cheese anyway? Just noticed that the grocery store nearby started stocking this brand like last week.

So...I just got an e-mail from the DGS at NYU saying that the committee is "is very interested in [my] candidacy. [They] did, however, have a couple of remaining questions. [...]."  He then moves on to ask if he can speak with me via telephone today. I can't find any historical record of this occurring via the Results page.

This makes me nervous.  :unsure:

I feel like throwing up. I worry he's going to ask why I'm switching fields ("Couldn't cut it after years in economics, so switching over, eh?"). I worry he's trying to see if I'm some babbling idiot. I worry that they truly don't want to admit me but feel bad (Maybe because I'm black?).  I worry that these "questions" will make, or break, my chances. I worry that I'm going to mess this up massively.

But mostly, I feel like throwing up.

What in the world would they need to know beyond what I've presented in my application? Please help/provide advice/comfort....anyone.

Don't feel nervous! They like you. They are strongly considering admitting you. They would like to talk to you to learn more. You're ahead of probably 85% of the people who submitted applications at this point. Be confident! 

So...I just got an e-mail from the DGS at NYU saying that the committee is "is very interested in [my] candidacy. [They] did, however, have a couple of remaining questions. [...]."  He then moves on to ask if he can speak with me via telephone today. I can't find any historical record of this occurring via the Results page.

I feel like throwing up. I worry he's going to ask why I'm switching fields ("Couldn't cut it after years in economics, so switching over, eh?"). I worry he's trying to see if I'm some babbling idiot. I worry that they truly don't want to admit me but feel bad (Maybe because I'm black?).  I worry that these "questions" will make, or break, my chances. I worry that I'm going to mess this up massively.

What in the world would they need to know beyond what I've presented in my application? Please help/provide advice/comfort....anyone.

Still dealing with this impostor syndrome, eh? I don't think they just feel bad for you because you're black. I think this indicates that they see incredible potential, and have some questions that weren't obviously answered in the application packet. :) Seriously, this is good news, even if it doesn't lead to an offer. 

I imagine that what the application cannot possibly provide for them is a representation of your personality---if I were on an adcomm I'd be interested in talking to someone I might work with solely to guage whether they can produce a good social vibe. Relax, be yourself, be confident but humble. Beyond that, it's back in the adcomm's hands. But take comfort in knowing that you got farther along than most people. Good luck! B)

How is Annie's Mac & Cheese anyway? Just noticed that the grocery store nearby started stocking this brand like last week.

I personally like the really no-name brands (like Aldi's, or my local grocery stores's). Dunno why. But Annie's is good. It's the only kind my gf will eat (she didn't like mac n cheese until she had Annie's). 

p.s. I miss mac n cheese here in Germany. :(

Cautiously: I would try to take this s an opportunity for you to make your case witg them. They obviously like your app a lot, since they don'tusuausually do interviewers.

In other news, seems like.NYU tomorrow, jf they wanna tallk to you today!

Annie's Mac was my childhood - and clearly still plays a major role in my life today! If you are an Annie's Mac virgin, start with the basics. Some of their more gourmet styles are great too! Get ready to have your mind blown! 

Let this be your first: http://www.annies.com/products/pastas/shells-real-aged-cheddar/

Edited by IR IR IR PhD

Cautiously, an add-on to my previous comment:

There are a few other schools that do not generally interview, but that have made an exception. In some of those cases, GradCafe users reported that after an informal discussion via phone they received an admissions offer within the following few hours. Since we don't more data regarding NYU's interview practices, we might be cautious optimistic that that will be their modus operandi after talking with you. That'd be nice, no?

It's probably a good sign that they want to talk to you more! You're definitely someone they're considering seriously, if they're willing to take the time and effort to do that, so have heart! Good luck :)

I personally like the really no-name brands (like Aldi's, or my local grocery stores's). Dunno why. But Annie's is good. It's the only kind my gf will eat (she didn't like mac n cheese until she had Annie's). 

p.s. I miss mac n cheese here in Germany. :(

I miss German frischkase. And European Nutella. LOL.

That's awesome news, cautiously! While I can totally relate to your anxieties, I also totally agree with what others said: it is a very positive sign, and a great chance. I'd venture to guess that they should be interested in your project, and that your switch of fields may look very much like your strength, if you present it well. I'd say consider it not a drawback on your application (and thus don't explain it as a drawback), but as an additional expertise that will enable you to make a specific contribution to the field. 

Without knowing much of the specifics, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to produce a more constructive advice for you.

Congratulations, once again, and good luck talking to them! Let us know how it went!

Annie's Mac was my childhood - and clearly still plays a major role in my life today! If you are an Annie's Mac virgin, start with the basics. Some of their more gourmet styles are great too! Get ready to have your mind blown! 

Let this be your first: http://www.annies.com/products/pastas/shells-real-aged-cheddar/

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to give it a try!

Was at the store debating whether to get a box of Annie's (animal? goldfish?) crackers the other day, and my friend thought it was one of those "imposter brands". But by the looks of it, it seems to be a pretty legitimate brand!

Where do you guys watch dates of admission decisions?

Go here: http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/

and type in "political science." You'll see all current results. with dates and any details that a poster chose to disclose.

Specify schools that you're interested in, and you can see their admission results, including previous years. 

Edit: oh wait do you mean prospective dates? (e.g. when certain schools are likely to announce their decision this year?) I think either (1) on that very same page by looking at the previous years, or (2) judging from the information received in a personal exchange with the faculty or grad students from those schools.

Edited by jeudepaume

You guys were very helpful. I just got off the phone with them.

They did, in fact, ask about the field switching, as I have a feeble history in political science and a formidable history in economics. So I tried my best to defend myself there. It's a bit worrisome as I applied to PoliSci programs hoping (and being told) that this wouldn't be an issue...apparently it is. They then asked about my mathematics coursework, as my GRE quant is somewhat low.

Not exactly how I wanted to begin my morning at all. The call didn't leave me feeling confident, but at least I made it far enough to raise some eyebrows. And yes, I agree that this perhaps means they are releasing results by this Tuesday/Wednesday.

Can't tell you how nervous the math question made me.

They did, in fact, ask about the field switching, as I have a feeble history in political science and a formidable history in economics. So I tried my best to defend myself there. It's a bit worrisome as I applied to PoliSci programs hoping (and being told) that this wouldn't be an issue...apparently it is. They then asked about my mathematics coursework, as my GRE quant is somewhat low.

Not exactly how I wanted to begin my morning at all. The call didn't leave me feeling confident, but at least I made it far enough to raise some eyebrows. And yes, I agree that this perhaps means they are releasing results by this Tuesday/Wednesday.

It's never as bad as you think it is. Think of it this way, they needed to extract this information no matter what, and you were able to do so directly. And I agree with the others that "very interested" is a very positive signal.

Cautiously: I would try to take this s an opportunity for you to make your case witg them. They obviously like your app a lot, since they don'tusuausually do interviewers.

In other news, seems like.NYU tomorrow, jf they wanna tallk to you today!

Actually I'm wondering if it perhaps means they will release today. What are the chances of an adcom meeting on consecutive days (isn't is usually once a week or something)? Fingers crossed they are finalizing decisions today and will release emails at 5pm.

such blunt questions... incredibly nervous about the math GRE scores now that they've made a point about it. Sounds like they're really considering you though, so that's a great sign  ;)