2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Just got into Duke DSCB! So relieved to know that I'm going somewhere.

Best of luck to everyone that is still waiting, I'm sure that good news is just around the corner :)

Congrats!

seems like acceptance letters are flying out every where tonight

Just got into my dream school!  Absolutely ecstatic!  Best birthday present ever!!

GOT INTO UT SOUTHWESTERN!!!!!!! FIRST ACCEPTANCE!

Just got into Duke DSCB! So relieved to know that I'm going somewhere.

Best of luck to everyone that is still waiting, I'm sure that good news is just around the corner :)

Congratulations for you guys!

Good news keep coming. 

I hope waiting people like me would all get positive news

Anyone with any idea how a skype interview with adcomm should go? I have one scheduled with Rochester Microbiology  this week and am clueless how five persons will be interviewing me over skype at the same time. I would'nt know which way to look if questions come flying from every direction :P

Anyone with any idea how a skype interview with adcomm should go? I have one scheduled with Rochester Microbiology  this week and am clueless how five persons will be interviewing me over skype at the same time. I would'nt know which way to look if questions come flying from every direction :P

Just did an interview with a portion of the AdCom from Syracuse Genetics this morning.  It was just a prof and a student rep.  Went exactly like a regular interview, asked me about research, why I'd like to go to SU, etc.  Then they gave me a chance to ask.  It was about 20 minutes and they said they'd be in touch in the near future.  You'll do fine!  They'll speak one at a time to you, not like an all out attack :)

Edit:  I actually did an in person with Rochester Genetics, Genomics, Development 2 weekends ago.  Everyone there was extremely nice!

Edited by MackF

It was not my intention to send any 'thank you' emails. It wasn't until after my interviews did I reconsider thinking it wouldn't hurt. The night after my interviews I sent emails to all my interviewers (8) thanking them for their time. I also added specifics about our interview for a personal touch and indicated if accepted, my desire to possibly rotate in their labs No more than 8 lines. By 8 the following morning i received 3 emails thanking me for the follow-up, and one informing me they recommend that I be accepted. (I was accepted with full funding). I also sent emails to the grad students that I spent the most time with because they are the adcom's eyes and ears at the student only gatherings. Their opinion of you counts as well. They advised me who's labs to steer clear of and which PIs genuinely care for their students. Also, should I choose to attend these people will become my family of sorts so it's great to already have a rapport with your future cohorts.

Hi, I had one with Edinburgh with five people via Skype last week. They asked me to present my project for 10 min and then then they started to questions. Since they come from different background, the questions are general and you do not need to worry about the details about science. Just consider why you are interested in the specific field, what you like to do for your PhD and after that, why you choose this school etc. Relax and you will be good. Good luck!

I interviewed 2 weeks ago at Harvard SysBio and I really loved the program and faculty there. They are my very top choice (and so far maybe the only one).

Should I email the faculty with whom I interviewed??? I don’t want to be pushy, although I have already send a “thank you” email to the program coordinator.

I sent out my "thank you" email the night of my interview to the four professors I have talked with and to Sam. I sent the email with my thesis presentation slides and with questions to two of them too. I got positive reply from 2 of them but not from the PI whom I like most (which made very nervous now..).

Just did an interview with a portion of the AdCom from Syracuse Genetics this morning.  It was just a prof and a student rep.  Went exactly like a regular interview, asked me about research, why I'd like to go to SU, etc.  Then they gave me a chance to ask.  It was about 20 minutes and they said they'd be in touch in the near future.  You'll do fine!  They'll speak one at a time to you, not like an all out attack :)

Edit:  I actually did an in person with Rochester Genetics, Genomics, Development 2 weekends ago.  Everyone there was extremely nice!

Thank you MackF. This is reassuring! I have been emailed the names of five faculty of the adcomm and have been told that they will be interviewing me in a group and it should be of 45 mins tops.

Hi, I had one with Edinburgh with five people via Skype last week. They asked me to present my project for 10 min and then then they started to questions. Since they come from different background, the questions are general and you do not need to worry about the details about science. Just consider why you are interested in the specific field, what you like to do for your PhD and after that, why you choose this school etc. Relax and you will be good. Good luck!

Thanks SysEvo. Did they tell you previously that you'll need to prepare a ppt of your project?

Thank you MackF. This is reassuring! I have been emailed the names of five faculty of the adcomm and have been told that they will be interviewing me in a group and it should be of 45 mins tops.

Thanks SysEvo. Did they tell you previously that you'll need to prepare a ppt of your project?

Yes, I was told to prepare for a 10-min talk with no more than 5 pages of slides. And I asked the POI about the questions which are likely to be asked and they were indeed asked...

Has anyone heard back from BU PiBS after their interviews?  I noticed 2 acceptances on the results page, but was wondering if there were more that haven't posted their results...

Has anyone heard back from BU PiBS after their interviews?  I noticed 2 acceptances on the results page, but was wondering if there were more that haven't posted their results...

When I was at Dartmouth there was a woman there who had been accepted to BU PiBS.

When I was at Dartmouth there was a woman there who had been accepted to BU PiBS.

Thanks.  Just wondering if I should have heard from them by now or if they waited to send out acceptances/wait list/rejects until after the final interview.

Thanks.  Just wondering if I should have heard from them by now or if they waited to send out acceptances/wait list/rejects until after the final interview.

If it makes you feel any better they've been super elusive with me and I've heard nothing! Haha. Good luck :)

No problem.  Maybe you'll talk to one of the same profs I did, since their GGD program spans a lot of different departments.  Either way, if they are anything like the faculty I met at U of R they will be extremely nice.  Is their program administered through the med school or through the undergraduate campus?  Also, I didn't prepare a powerpoint, but my interview was in person, so YMMV

I know that the final interview is going on right now. So you should start hearing back from them in like a week or two? I don't know how large the program is.

I am impatiently waiting to hear back from Baylor Immunology (interview last weekend in January) and UMASS (interview this past weekend)...

Has anyone heard from Baylor?

Maybe today is the day... fingers crossed!

3 more interviews to go.

Just called Einstein. All if the invites have already been extended. The decisions will be mailed out by the end if the month.

So I suppose Einstein is a reject then. :|

Just called Einstein. All if the invites have already been extended. The decisions will be mailed out by the end if the month.

So I suppose Einstein is a reject then. :|

Who did you call?  I can't reach anybody over there.