All those little mistakes

gellert

I was reviewing my submitted applications and realized that for one of the schools - my top choice, at that - I accidentally put that I had a 3.6 major GPA when in fact it's 3.9.  Eek!

I'm not sure if I should try to submit a revision or if I should just trust them to read my transcripts.  

What mistakes have you all made?

When it asked me to write down the dates for my undergrad, for some reason I wrote down 2010 - 2013, and my transcript don't have dates on them...

Also when it asked what scholarship I applied for, I wrote down "yes" for some reason and I didn't write which one I applied for lol...

Oh, I don't even want to know....I'm trying not to even look since it's a done deal at this point anyway. Reviewed my essays even just a bit and found small typos that were somehow invisible the previous dozen times I'd read thru them; probably from reading it so many times and getting lazy  :(  Let that be a lesson! Get apps done as early as you can, especially the essays! It's nice to have enough time to actually set your essay down for a day or two, which I think will help with some of the "fatigue reading" type mistakes....

Oh, I don't even want to know....I'm trying not to even look since it's a done deal at this point anyway. Reviewed my essays even just a bit and found small typos that were somehow invisible the previous dozen times I'd read thru them; probably from reading it so many times and getting lazy   :(  Let that be a lesson! Get apps done as early as you can, especially the essays! It's nice to have enough time to actually set your essay down for a day or two, which I think will help with some of the "fatigue reading" type mistakes....

I agree. I have not read any of my statements since I submited my apps or looked at my CV or writing sample. One of my recommenders sent me the letter he prepared back when he started to send it in about 2 months ago and I have not opened it. For my own writing, it's not just typos or factual errors, just reading it will probably make me groan. And the LOR, perhaps I'll read it when the dust settles, when I get myself into a nice program and start checking out apartments :)

I'm an archaeologist, and I referred to the research site of the professor I want to work with slightly incorrectly. Every time I think about it, I cringe. It wasn't a big difference just the site name was mispelled. I seriously can't believe I did that, especially since I'd reread an article about it the DAY before... But I think it was clear that I had read her work and just made an error? Ugh, I hope that doesn't bar me from admission!!  So yeah, I'm sure your mistakes were less embarrassing than that.

2 things: I forgot to mention some pretty important research experience in all the SOPs I've submitted so far. How I could forget, I have no idea. I also just found out a paper I wrote is being considered for publication so I could've put it as "in review" on my CV but now it can only be on the apps with the 1/15 deadlines. Le sigh.

2 things: I forgot to mention some pretty important research experience in all the SOPs I've submitted so far. How I could forget, I have no idea. I also just found out a paper I wrote is being considered for publication so I could've put it as "in review" on my CV but now it can only be on the apps with the 1/15 deadlines. Le sigh.

That's the kind of thing you should submit as a revision to the department.  They love to see that you have publications under review!

I just worry about annoying them too much. I don't want to be THAT person.

I don't think this counts as annoying them.  It counts as giving them relevant, up-to-date information.

*%!@!

I just went back and realized the first application I sent was my "test school"- meaning I sent the first version of my personal statement which I completely overhauled for the other schools. Gosh darnit. I'm not looking at anything else.

I submitted an app late AND spelled a POI's first name wrong in that SOP because I was so freaked out by missing the deadline.  Not sure I'd call it a little mistake, but definitely in the "OH NO" category.

Other horror stories?

Edited by NOWAYNOHOW

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I was reviewing my submitted applications and realized that for one of the schools - my top choice, at that - I accidentally put that I had a 3.6 major GPA when in fact it's 3.9.  Eek!

I'm not sure if I should try to submit a revision or if I should just trust them to read my transcripts.  

What mistakes have you all made?

Maybe they'll think you're humble and it'll work in your favor. 

I don't think this counts as annoying them.  It counts as giving them relevant, up-to-date information.

This was great advice. Most of the schools let me submit an updated version of my CV. Only 2 said it would be an unfair advantage and didn't let me.

I'm not sure if this was a mistake or not, and I'd love your advice: third semester of my MA I got a few B/B+ instead of my usual A/A- because I got pneumonia the week of finals. I wrote, but didn't include an explanation, because I thought, that's whiny and unnecessary! It's just a B, relax. But now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if I should have...

I'm not sure if this was a mistake or not, and I'd love your advice: third semester of my MA I got a few B/B+ instead of my usual A/A- because I got pneumonia the week of finals. I wrote, but didn't include an explanation, because I thought, that's whiny and unnecessary! It's just a B, relax. But now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if I should have...

I think your initial instinct was right. You probably made the right decision.