How Are You Coping With The Torture Of Waiting???

PsycD

What coping mechanism, strange addiction, or odd behavior have you adopted to help get you through this excruciating time of waiting?

I myself have developed a strange addiction to Smoked Cheddar Cheez-Its, Ghirardelli Sea Salt Soiree dark chocolates, and anything starring Chris Hemsworth and Charlie Hunnam.

Ok, so that last one was already there, but it has become even worse... :wacko:

This is a great way for us all to pick up some healthy new habits!

Ha. Mine would be too much snacking on cereal and peanut butter due to my inability to focus on anything for more than a few minutes, obsessive results-checking (duh), fantasizing that schools might just make decisions earlier this year and getting way too excited about an email notification... until I read the email and inevitably respond (internally, of course) with a surge of rage and frustration with a dose of hopelessness.

It doesn't help that I'm working in a job that's a bad fit for me and that the work flow is super light right now. (Don't tell them I said that. I still need to finish a couple more statements for backup-plan programs.)

This is a great way for us all to pick up some healthy new habits!

Ha. Mine would be too much snacking on cereal and peanut butter due to my inability to focus on anything for more than a few minutes, obsessive results-checking (duh), fantasizing that schools might just make decisions earlier this year and getting way too excited about an email notification... until I read the email and inevitably respond (internally, of course) with a surge of rage and frustration with a dose of hopelessness.

It doesn't help that I'm working in a job that's a bad fit for me and that the work flow is super light right now. (Don't tell them I said that. I still need to finish a couple more statements for backup-plan programs.)

Wow, exactly what I'm dealing with too! Job that is a bad fit, been there for over 5 years, why I can't wait to go to grad school, CAN'T WAIT to leave! and like you said, the load is at times too light and hence sitting on my email, waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, exactly what I'm dealing with too! Job that is a bad fit, been there for over 5 years, why I can't wait to go to grad school, CAN'T WAIT to leave! and like you said, the load is at times too light and hence sitting on my email, waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in the same boat. It doesn't help that my job involves sitting in front of the computer all day, which allows me to continue my psycho-checking of email and the results board.

My Cheez-Its addiction helps, but my pants are getting tighter.  I'm going to have to come up with a better coping mechanism.  I was hoping to get some good ideas from everyone else on what I can do to keep myself distracted.

I'm in the same boat. It doesn't help that my job involves sitting in front of the computer all day, which allows me to continue my psycho-checking of email and the results board.

My Cheez-Its addiction helps, but my pants are getting tighter.  I'm going to have to come up with a better coping mechanism.  I was hoping to get some good ideas from everyone else on what I can do to keep myself distracted.

LOL right there with you! Things I am doing to try to distract me- I have started walking/jogging on the treadmill a few times a week, I've become addicted to watching Revenge on Netflix (it's completely ridiculous), a hot mug of skim milk with a milk frother! is calming, reading books for leisure on my Kindle....

I check my email every 20 mins and the spam folder and the schools app checker. I have learned to crochet, I play SimCity (I'm a noob I don't care it passes my time) I have watched the first and second seasons of American Horror Story, I am almost done with the third season of Walking Dead, I am about to start Dexter and Orange is the New Black, I am applying to jobs, and learning to cook, exercising and dieting, deciding whether or not to call the department, and finding free books to read on my new kindle.

To be honest I'm not stressing or obsessing at all.  I know the time period when they will start giving results and it isn't close to that time yet so I'm not bothering to check anything.  I know I can't change anything about my application now so either I'll get in or I won't and I can't do anything about that at this point.

I'm reading the Hunger Games trilogy, watching Boardwalk Empire, working, trying some new recipes, taking a well-needed break from anything related to my field, checking the status of my submitted apps too often, and enjoying time with my wife and 16-month-old son. I hate the wait, and vacillate between certainty that I will accepted and absolute incredulity that I think I have a shot anywhere. Painful stuff. ;)

Losing my cell phone, and then finding it. Losing my wallet, and then finding it. Losing my keys….

It's like I'm too distracted to pay attention to where I set things down. Any guesses on what will going missing next (so that I know what to attach a tracking device to…)? 

Edited by NoSleepTilBreuckelen

I just go on with work trying not to think too much about the decisions that will come. The good thing is I don't have to check the e-mail compulsively at least for the first 12-14 hours of the my day thanks to the different timezone. 

I wish I could say I was coping. I don't even remember the last time my life just completely slowed down. Every day feels like eons. I feel like if I can make it to the end of this month, I can do anything, anywhere. Ugh.

Ha, right there with you. You should hold onto that last sentence (I mean the one before the "Ugh" of course) for when you're stressing in grad school! :)