How Are You Coping With The Torture Of Waiting???

PsycD

Guest Gnome Chomsky

This! I've also watched almost all of Netflix, read most of the library, taught myself how to knit, then crochet, and working to save up for the move (I hope I hope I hope I hope)

That's funny. I just finished reading Wikipedia. 

In addition to the obsessive web activity that has already been mentioned, I've been consuming herbal teas that make dreams come true (e.g. mugwort which promotes lucid dreaming-- "I don't care if you didn't accept me, Yale adcomm. I'm coming here anyway!" "Okay"), going on long car trips and amassing piles of books from academic libraries in the region in hopes of filling in gaps in knowledge (because September is around the corner and time is running out!), restoring myself through pleasure reading on non-academic subjects, and then dulling my thoughts completely training for the "Tough Mudder"-- you know, the 10 mile military obstacle race where they shock you with electric wires. I'm likely to compete in one of the safer, non-electrically charged races instead but the underlying message is the same: April, you cannot come soon enough.

and then dulling my thoughts completely training for the "Tough Mudder"-- you know, the 10 mile military obstacle race where they shock you with electric wires. 

My husband did this a few years back...took a charged wire to the balls and dropped :)

I was just laid-off from my job, so I really have nothing to do besides sit around all day with my animals and worry about grad school acceptances. I'm going to start a certificate in Grant Writing and maybe look for another job. The job market sucks here, and all I've seen on craigslist are ads for "mature, adult models." No thanks.

In addition to the obsessive web activity that has already been mentioned, I've been consuming herbal teas that make dreams come true (e.g. mugwort which promotes lucid dreaming-- "I don't care if you didn't accept me, Yale adcomm. I'm coming here anyway!" "Okay"), going on long car trips and amassing piles of books from academic libraries in the region in hopes of filling in gaps in knowledge (because September is around the corner and time is running out!), restoring myself through pleasure reading on non-academic subjects, and then dulling my thoughts completely training for the "Tough Mudder"-- you know, the 10 mile military obstacle race where they shock you with electric wires. I'm likely to compete in one of the safer, non-electrically charged races instead but the underlying message is the same: April, you cannot come soon enough.

I don't know you, but if I met you in real life, I'd totally want to be your friend. :D 

I'm in a semi unique position. My boyfriend and I met on a field job and he was accepted at the university last year and is in his first year of his masters. I wanted to apply here before even meeting him so it seemed perfect. 

But now I'm dealing with working at the university under the very people that are deciding my future. And with a boyfriend that keeps reminding me that no matter who I speak to, I can't do anything about anything right now except to keep waiting. 

My unhealthy habits include obsessively searching gradcafe forums to see if anyone from the NRES department has posted on here this year or in the recent past. Reading into the subtext of emails sent to me from the gradcollege and department. And obsessively searching for a house next year in the event that I get in. We're currently living in an apartment. We found this place last year and were looking for something that he could afford on his own in the event that I had to leave. But now that I've found a potential advisor here we have started fantasizing about a house. Luckily food habits have not factored in. In the event that I don't get in, I see myself forming a bond with both Ben and Jerry. 

I joined the gym and I plan on doing spin class twice a week and yoga once a week. So far I have been keeping up with the spin classes. I've never been able to keep working out a habit, but with all of this waiting it has been good to have another goal to focus on! I also watched the first 9 seasons of Grey's Anatomy. 9 seasons! How did I do that? Why did I do that?

I have 3 jobs and am working on my MA thesis, so thankfully I have plenty to do. But that doesn't stop me from having the GradCafe forums open in one tab and results search open in the other (I've been going through and checking at what time the schools I applied to get back to you--looks like I have some coming in about a week and a half potentially. yikes!) when I have a moment of downtime at work. Once in a while I also compulsively check my online application status for each school...but not often, since I know it's mostly futile.

The usual:

- checking email multiple times a day, yearning to hear the little "*pop*" notification sound for my Gmail ...

- making sure to run to the mailbox (as if it will disappear if I walk) every day at 2pm to check for letters

- watching tons of TV to pass the time (Parks and Recreation, anyone?)

- working (great distraction!)

- Cuddling with my dogs

- Going to the gym ("what?  It's only been an hour?  Come ON, Gmail!!!")

I just hope they don't monitor how many times an applicant checks the app status!

If they do, we are all in the same boat.  I have a feeling, instead of being surprised, they would just nod knowingly and say "Ah, yes, there's another freaked-out grad school applicant." 

If they do, we are all in the same boat.  I have a feeling, instead of being surprised, they would just nod knowingly and say "Ah, yes, there's another freaked-out grad school applicant." 

I suppose you're right…I just feel weird about the new, obsessive me.  Or, wait, have I always been like that?

I just realized yesterday that I have made it through the first two weeks of waiting, and I made it out okay.

Here's to another four.

It's like being on the tredmill at the gym, and then you realize you're 1/3 of the way through, and then you think, "Hey, I only have to do that two more times and then I'm done. I can totally do this."

Hang in their folks.

I suppose you're right…I just feel weird about the new, obsessive me.  Or, wait, have I always been like that?

I don't know about you, but I've always been that way with various things.  I remember checking my undergrad class listings every day during the summer to make sure my Fall semester classroom assignments hadn't changed.  I refused to show up at the wrong classroom on the first day e_e 

So, we can frame this as being "diligent" rather than "obsessive ..." or both! :D

I don't know about you, but I've always been that way with various things.  I remember checking my undergrad class listings every day during the summer to make sure my Fall semester classroom assignments hadn't changed.  I refused to show up at the wrong classroom on the first day e_e 

So, we can frame this as being "diligent" rather than "obsessive ..." or both! :D

Good point gingin6789!  Maybe it's normal...

I joined the gym and I plan on doing spin class twice a week and yoga once a week. So far I have been keeping up with the spin classes. I've never been able to keep working out a habit, but with all of this waiting it has been good to have another goal to focus on! I also watched the first 9 seasons of Grey's Anatomy. 9 seasons! How did I do that? Why did I do that?

That's awesome. I'm trying to do the whole "focus on fitness" thing too, but it seems to have the opposite effect... "Now I have to worry about grad school AND fitness!? I should just eat everything instead." 9 seasons is really impressive though, be proud. I just caught up on 4.5 seasons of The Good Wife and now I don't know what to watch, so I'm just kind of... sitting... waiting....

I just realized yesterday that I have made it through the first two weeks of waiting, and I made it out okay.

Here's to another four.

It's like being on the tredmill at the gym, and then you realize you're 1/3 of the way through, and then you think, "Hey, I only have to do that two more times and then I'm done. I can totally do this."

Hang in their folks.

Jealous of those of you who only had a month or so to wait. I just found out from NYU that I will probably not hear back for sure until March 15th. My application was due December 1st. I'm nowhere close yet.

I calm my mind and prepare for old age by lovingly attending to my backyard birds. I make my own suet, keep a daily log, and defend their territory from squirrels. I also go on hikes and birdwatching quests. 

Just want to say, amazing.

That's awesome. I'm trying to do the whole "focus on fitness" thing too, but it seems to have the opposite effect... "Now I have to worry about grad school AND fitness!? I should just eat everything instead." 9 seasons is really impressive though, be proud. I just caught up on 4.5 seasons of The Good Wife and now I don't know what to watch, so I'm just kind of... sitting... waiting....

Hmm, I'd recommend that you check out Orange is the New Black and Suits if you haven't done so yet.

HBO also has a new show called True Detective with McConaughey (who I believe is at the prime of his career) and Woody Harrelson. It's incredibly well written, with dark humour, and utterly riveting storylines. I'm just hoping it stays that way!