How Are You Coping With The Torture Of Waiting???

PsycD

Oh god, yes. I fell for that.

"Ooh, mint milanos are on sale! I'll get two packages, that should last me a while..."

Three days. They lasted three days. If I get accepted, I'm gonna have to roll my way to grad school.

I am banned from buying those. But sometimes I try to convince my SO to get them for me when we're at the store together... XD

So I just finished a Skype interview and I am literally shaking and on the verge of tears. I've had very bad luck with all my programs. This is the third year I'm applying to PhD programs. I can't do it again. Last year I was waitlisted and ultimately rejected from one of my top choice schools. This year with a better application and a professor interested in working with me (who even looked over my SOP beforehand) I was completely rejected! No waitlist. I'm still waiting to hear from 4 schools but who knows where that's going. 

So when I got this email from my Master's department about a new erasmus joint program in legal psychology I checked it out. It's this super interesting program that combines psychology, crime and law and it's hosted by 3 universities: U. Portsmouth, U Gothenburg (Sweden) and Maastrict U. (Netherlands). I had about a week to pick a topic from the list of options and write a "full" research proposal. They interviewed me today and I feel like I completely bombed the whole thing. Nervous as fu*k. Words did not translate from my brain to my mouth. And they want to know everything of course, how am I going to do this, where am I going to get the population to sample, what are all my independent and dependent variables...

Granted I realize this should be relatively knowable information for a proposal but ..ehh...I had less than a week to do research and write the damn thing. I have the generalizations in my head about it but, isn't this the sorts of things I'm to figure out with the guidance of the professors? I'm sure they completely saw me flounder and screw everything up. I will find out in a week if I was accepted, waitlisted or rejected. 

So I just finished a Skype interview...

:( I'm sorry to hear that. I really hope it goes better than expected. Who knows? Maybe if there's someone at the program who really has a similar research idea, they'll take you!

Wait... is this the hard part?

All my letters made it. All my transcripts made it. My card didn't bounce.

I feel relieved that it's not on my anymore.

I agree. The most stressful part was trying to get my fine arts professors from undergrad to submit their recommendations on time. Like trying to herd cats! And then two of my transcripts got lost in the mail due to heavy storms... No, I'm really glad that part is over. The waiting game is its own kind of stressful but much easier overall because I'm fighting everyone around me just to get my applications done.

I've been taking care of my grandpa, doing housework, freelance design, and helping my brother and cousin with their respective weddings. Oh, and compulsively baking. I bake bread when I'm stressed. Beer bread, sweet bread, cheese bread, white bread, all the bread! It makes me focus on the recipe, it makes my hands feel like they're working with clay (which helps with some of my ceramics-withdrawal twitchiness) and I am rewarded with delicious bread to wolf down as comfort food.

Gym!!! After full time working I took a spinning class yesterday and then walked for half an hour. Felt asleep in the subway. Better than staring grad cafe and constantly want to email the DGS!

Hope to lose my 30 pounds I gained during application period!

I have bouts of anxiety and worry, especially since it's been two weeks post-interview for my first choice. Aside from that, I'm busy at my day job and I spend my evenings catching up with old friends that I lost contact with during application season, haha!!

Gym!!! After full time working I took a spinning class yesterday and then walked for half an hour. Felt asleep in the subway. Better than staring grad cafe and constantly want to email the DGS!

Hope to lose my 30 pounds I gained during application period!

oh god. me too. i rewarded myself post app-season with a gym membership.

Simply, I'm not.

I work full time, work out 4 times per week, watch an obscene amount of scandal and the food network......

Nothing works. All I think about is my school.. When will they let me know?!?!

Obsessively checking the Gradcafe result search page and the Spam box in Gmail...

This. 

And spending too much time on Reddit. Also spending hours meticulously researching the internet to make large purchases on things I'm never going to buy. Examples: a new bicycle, a top of the line coffee maker, how to open a small business (wtf). 

I'm going stir-crazy!

I now have a standing date with Netflix every night.  Law and Order is pure crack. 

And, I've succumbed to the most humiliating addiction of all...the "Fallen" series that I found in teen fiction section of the library.  Think Twilight...with Angels. :wacko: I need help. 

Seriously. 

I found a thing On the website of my top choice school that shows how many applicants there were to my program for FY2014. They've updated it nearly every day, showing how many people have been rejected. So far I'm still in the running :-/ It also shows how many have been accepted and those who have withdrawn. So...there's another thing I'm compulsively checking.

JUST TELL ME ALREADY!!!! I'm losing my mind and I'm out of M&Ms.

I found a thing On the website of my top choice school that shows how many applicants there were to my program for FY2014. They've updated it nearly every day, showing how many people have been rejected. So far I'm still in the running :-/ It also shows how many have been accepted and those who have withdrawn. So...there's another thing I'm compulsively checking.

JUST TELL ME ALREADY!!!! I'm losing my mind and I'm out of M&Ms.

I wish every school did this.

I wish every school did this.

Yeah, it could totally be automated so no one has to manually update it either. But maybe they want to cultivate patience and not obsessive checking of their websites!

What I wish schools would do is just be very explicit about timelines and when they make each wave of decisions. That's just good transparency considering the window for finding out is one to two months long! I can wait a few weeks but not knowing when official word comes down or when I can have enough info to make a decision for over a month is lame. I don't think that's too much to ask.

I feel like I'm holding my breath.... this anticipation is unlike any other. It's like, you're not just waiting on a letter or a phone call or an email... you're waiting on a complete change of life. That one word we're waiting on has the potential to completely change our entire life. How could I possibly manage to exhale??  This must be what The Hunger Games feel like.

I feel like I'm holding my breath.... this anticipation is unlike any other. It's like, you're not just waiting on a letter or a phone call or an email... you're waiting on a complete change of life. That one word we're waiting on has the potential to completely change our entire life. How could I possibly manage to exhale??  This must be what The Hunger Games feel like.

I feel the same way...its probably not as bad as The Hunger Games cause its not really life and death but it is  life changing... these past few weeks have been super brutal. Whether its good or bad news, I just want to know. 

It gives me a glimpse into what it must be like for athletes going through draft day, except they know exactly when it will happen and can count down the days til their future is writ.