How Are You Coping With The Torture Of Waiting???

PsycD

My top choice is just south of LA, but I think I would miss the snow. I attend the second snowiest school in the country and I'd miss my hair freezing on the walk to campus :P

I'm sort of ambivalent between UCI and USC right now. I do know that I'm perfectly ready to leave behind snow, tornadoes, violent thunderstorms, gale winds, dangerous heat/humidity, dangerous cold/wind chills, freezing rain/ice pellets, hail, and catastrophic floods. The place I live was not meant to have humans living in it. We should all vacate, lest we anger the temperate climate gods further. 

Oh, man. I grew up in SoCal during a few droughts and never remember it being bad enough that they instituted fines or anything like that. The worst that I remember was rolling blackouts the summer of 00 or 01. Good luck, CA friends

I mean, we're not really feeling it now, and it's starting to rain a little, but they're using the highway electronic signs to implore everyone to conserve and the governor declared some sort of emergency a while back.

Difference this year is that some reservoirs are 80% below normal. That's not just a little! Someone said it'd have to rain every other day through May for us to hit normal levels, and obviously that will not happen. It'll probably hit the produce harder than the people. I've just never seen the national press cover a CA drought before...

Beware the CA drought! Life might get a bit unpleasant later this year if involuntary caps are instituted and there are steep fines for over use. Just saying' it's not all sunshine and puppies over here despite the pretty beaches... :|

On that note, Cadillac Desert (by Marc Reisner) is a good read for anybody who lives in or is thinking of moving to CA. Or anywhere in the West. 

Edited by jenzy

So I am presenting my research at a meeting and the TWO people also speaking on my panel were two POIs I applied to work with. One sent me a really rude email about my GPA being way too low for the standards of the university and that I would never be competitive (My GPA is a 3.3, not horrible but not super bad?) and the other one expressed interest in working with me but ignored my emails for months and never replied. 

Sooo...this is going to be an awkward panel. Still haven't heard back from the schools though. :/

I have one piece of advice for you: Groucho Marx glasses.

They'll never see it coming.

I am still waiting to hear from Columbia, Harvard, and UPenn. The wait is killing me, however, I'm a part of City Year, an Americorps program. I work 45+ hours a week and I am usually tired by the end of the day...so that's how I cope with the waiting game lol.

I'm sort of ambivalent between UCI and USC right now. I do know that I'm perfectly ready to leave behind snow, tornadoes, violent thunderstorms, gale winds, dangerous heat/humidity, dangerous cold/wind chills, freezing rain/ice pellets, hail, and catastrophic floods. The place I live was not meant to have humans living in it. We should all vacate, lest we anger the temperate climate gods further. 

What kind of actual hell do you live in?!

Loll sounds like New England! But some warm weather would be nice... my boss is at an ice cores meeting at UCI and he was surfing earlier today... it's -6F here

I tried to log into my ApplyYourself page and it gave me a message saying "We are unable to process your login request at this time." I tried a couple different times and got the same message..this is either a very poorly timed error, or they're looking at my file/changing my application status!!! This is getting unbearable!!

I tried to log into my ApplyYourself page and it gave me a message saying "We are unable to process your login request at this time." I tried a couple different times and got the same message..this is either a very poorly timed error, or they're looking at my file/changing my application status!!! This is getting unbearable!!

The same happened to me!!

Yep, my overall productivity in life is in decline. I am unofficially accepted to my program BUT none of my POIs have secured funding, so it's just me waiting until somebody gets money. This might be by Fall, but it might not. I have no clue. Meanwhile I have gone from keeping myself busy to basically just deflating. I am deflated. My future is uncertain. On the bright side, spring is around the corner and the songbird migration has begun. Yay!

Edit: Just realized I mention birds in many of my posts. If anyone has noticed this: Sorry.

Edited by jenzy

This morning I had a nightmare about getting a rejection from my top choice due to false information in my application and I was banned from ever applying there again  :blink:  I pinched myself during the nightmare but couldn't wake up so I had a hard time deciding whether it was real or not once I actually did wake up lol. Dreams are weird since there's no such "false information" in my actual application... just goes to show how stressful this whole waiting thing is.

This morning I had a nightmare about getting a rejection from my top choice due to false information in my application and I was banned from ever applying there again  :blink:  I pinched myself during the nightmare but couldn't wake up so I had a hard time deciding whether it was real or not once I actually did wake up lol. Dreams are weird since there's no such "false information" in my actual application... just goes to show how stressful this whole waiting thing is.

I dreamt about grad school last night too and I knew it was a dream but I still couldn't snap out of it. And then falling back to sleep was near impossible. Like you said, shows how stressful it is! 

Sleeping

+1 ! Sleeping and partying. 

Also - Clone Wars !

Fake philosopher quote : If you can do anything about it, do it and don't worry. If you can't do anything about it, don't worry. 

Edited by arefin