How Are You Coping With The Torture Of Waiting???

PsycD

Holy mother... I just got an email from UCLA and almost had a nervous breakdown. I could read the first line without opening the email and it read "I hope this message finds you well". My mind immediately went to... that's not how you begin an acceptance letter... it's a rejection. This is it. It's over... They were just letting me know they have my application and it is under review. The room is spinnig... I don't know how I'm going to deal when the decision is finally made. I think I'll most likely pass out either way. I have to go hurl now...

UCLA emailed you just now to let you know? That's a little late, if you ask me!

Right?? They did just finish auditions maybe a week ago, so I guess they're just letting us know that applications are officially being reviewed. Hm..I wonder if that means that they don't review the applications of those who didn't meet expectations during the audition??

Holy mother... I just got an email from UCLA and almost had a nervous breakdown. I could read the first line without opening the email and it read "I hope this message finds you well". My mind immediately went to... that's not how you begin an acceptance letter... it's a rejection. This is it. It's over... They were just letting me know they have my application and it is under review. The room is spinnig... I don't know how I'm going to deal when the decision is finally made. I think I'll most likely pass out either way. I have to go hurl now...

That's just wrong...on so many levels.

Good gosh this winter will just never end.  I'd be happy with just above-freezing temperatures for once.

I know, right?!

I got accepted to a school in LA during the middle of the 24-hour snowstorm a week and a half ago (east coast). It was funny looking up pictures of the school, then looking out the window, then back, then out, then back...

I think New England is making my last winter here count.

Edited by PhDerp

Going crazy! No new e-mail in my mailbox everyday. I do not want to do anything else, even my senior project, which is an dangerous action. Refreshing the forums everyday is what I am keep doing. Hoping everyone could get the dream offer, bless!

First time posting...the program I'm applying to (University of Minnesota Duluth-Master of Liberal Studies) told me they would be making a decision this week..now I'm checking the application status page almost hourly.  The ironic thing is that while the weather here in the Twin Cities is terrible, the winter weather in Duluth is worse! It's a good thing I really like the program and the school (and its heated tunnels and skyways between buildings).

First time posting...the program I'm applying to (University of Minnesota Duluth-Master of Liberal Studies) told me they would be making a decision this week..now I'm checking the application status page almost hourly.  The ironic thing is that while the weather here in the Twin Cities is terrible, the winter weather in Duluth is worse! It's a good thing I really like the program and the school (and its heated tunnels and skyways between buildings).

I heard MN puts New England to shame, with its lack of ocean climate influence!

And I'm running to sunny California. I'm such a wuss XD

Duluth and the North Shore region tends to get a larger amount of snow and is consistently colder than most of Minnesota, due to the semi-ocean influence of Lake Superior. Maybe for my PhD, I'll take a look at Berkeley or UCLA. I've lived in Minnesota all of my life so I guess I'm mostly acclimated to this stuff. It still sucks though.  :D

Waiting to hear back from USC after an interview myself. It's going to be really hard not to base my final decision on weather conditions. Putting SoCal and the Northern Midwest on opposing sides of a scale hardly seems fair considering the long winter we've had. 

Waiting to hear back from USC after an interview myself. It's going to be really hard not to base my final decision on weather conditions. Putting SoCal and the Northern Midwest on opposing sides of a scale hardly seems fair considering the long winter we've had. 

I only applied to schools in SoCal (+1 safety, +longshots). The weather is one of my highest priorities! Maybe it's a good thing I haven't done research yet...

I only applied to schools in SoCal (+1 safety, +longshots). The weather is one of my highest priorities! Maybe it's a good thing I haven't done research yet...

California is like my siren. Perfect, yet dangerous. Especially the Southern Sierra, Encinitas, and the Channel Islands… aaahhhhh. I wistfully remember my first (and only) summer in the Sierra. I have purposely avoided the whole state in my grad school search because I know I would forsake my research and go off to have a love affair with all of the state's sunny wonders. I can only be academic in lousy weather  ;)

California is like my siren. Perfect, yet dangerous. Especially the Southern Sierra, Encinitas, and the Channel Islands… aaahhhhh. I wistfully remember my first (and only) summer in the Sierra. I have purposely avoided the whole state in my grad school search because I know I would forsake my research and go off to have a love affair with all of the state's sunny wonders. I can only be academic in lousy weather  ;)

That makes a little too much sense... XD

My advisor said that she had no idea how I would get any work done if I actually went to UC Santa Barbara. Too pretty for its own good lol

That makes a little too much sense... XD

My advisor said that she had no idea how I would get any work done if I actually went to UC Santa Barbara. Too pretty for its own good lol

I'm unreasonably susceptible to seasonal depression. If I end up moving somewhere where I can't go outside 50% of the year, I'm gonna need a sun lamp. Sometimes I feel like a total reptile.  

So I am presenting my research at a meeting and the TWO people also speaking on my panel were two POIs I applied to work with. One sent me a really rude email about my GPA being way too low for the standards of the university and that I would never be competitive (My GPA is a 3.3, not horrible but not super bad?) and the other one expressed interest in working with me but ignored my emails for months and never replied. 

Sooo...this is going to be an awkward panel. Still haven't heard back from the schools though. :/

Edited by krishnalynn

Waiting is crazily difficult, been through it and pretty glad that it's just over now. I totally understand the pain of waiting and knowing that your destiny is (literally) not in your hands.

Beware the CA drought! Life might get a bit unpleasant later this year if involuntary caps are instituted and there are steep fines for over use. Just saying' it's not all sunshine and puppies over here despite the pretty beaches... :|

Oh, man. I grew up in SoCal during a few droughts and never remember it being bad enough that they instituted fines or anything like that. The worst that I remember was rolling blackouts the summer of 00 or 01. Good luck, CA friends