How Are You Coping With The Torture Of Waiting???

PsycD

I was fine waiting for the first two months, but now I just sit around daydreaming about imaginary acceptance/rejection letters. The problem is that I get legitimately HAPPY or SAD depending on what I'm daydreaming about, but then I sort of wake up and realize it's all in my head. It's really exhausting.

Very funny that I'm not the only one to start compulsively checking junk mail. Seriously, has anybody actually heard of someone missing a letter because of a junk mail filter? 

This website is a lifesaver.

I've read it in the "what were you doing when you got accepted" post. Haha. The acceptance letter was sitting in the junk mail for three days. Haha. 

Here's one... Having a flight delayed to the point where the pilot is not allowed to fly any more cause he's been flying too long for the day, and having to get a hotel room at 2 am to catch a cab to the airport at 5 am to get a flight at 8am. I've barely had time to think about schools or Grad Cafe!

I haven't been sleeping well recently. The last words from my POI during my interview keeps playing in my head: 

"I'm going to decide on Monday or Tuesday next week so you won't have to wait for too long. I know it's not an easy feeling to wait; I can still remember

when I was applying to grad school myself."

I don't mind the lack of sleep. I just want to know already. 

Edited by scottdickson86

My friend tried hiding this website from me when he saw that I've been on it. Lol. Maybe I'm an addict!

Clearly not coping well, as I cannot sleep right now :P

I know what you mean about being addicted. I didn't even know this site existed until a few days ago, when someone on Reddit mentioned that it was ruining his life. I clicked out of curiosity, and.. well, I don't think I've left since. T-T

At least there are lots of nice people on here to be neurotic with!

Haha, yeah I might have to include myself on the addiction to Gradcafe. I discovered it last year when I was applying for Fulbright and would often check here first before my email to "prepare" myself for news. Now, I have poured over about every section and thread on Gradcafe…twice. My field is so small that is very difficult to glean information about when I'll hear...

Congratulations!!! :D

One thing I love about this site is the good news! It's awesome to cheer for people :)

Thanks a lot! Haha. I appreciate it. Now I have to wait for the details on funding. I can't afford it if at least the tuition isn't covered. Haha.

My wait is over! Got an email from POI, recommended for admission.  :D  :D  :D

Funding details to follow. Haha.

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATS!!! I'm so happy for you!!! :D :D :D

I know what you mean about being addicted. I didn't even know this site existed until a few days ago, when someone on Reddit mentioned that it was ruining his life. I clicked out of curiosity, and.. well, I don't think I've left since. T-T

At least there are lots of nice people on here to be neurotic with!

Yep, I discovered this site on Sunday. I'm realizing that I have access to the internet at all times of the day, because I'm refreshing the results page at all times of the day. It's bad.

Right now I'm really into the "Keep a Word, Drop a Word" thread. I mean, really into it.

Compulsive email checking (and having a small heart attack with every email *ding*) and eating too many bagels. I feel like gradcafe is going to report me for refresh button overuse on the admissions results page.

On a more serious note, I will start running again to release all the pent up nervous energy!

I check this website almost every hour... it helps :)

I am still working on my final degree thesis so I don't have time to to the gym... that's what I would be doing if I didn't have any academic work to do!

I've spent so much time waiting it out on grad cafe that this conversation happened at a conference with a stranger:

Other person: so where have you applied?

Me: Maryland, Lehigh, and Delaware; it has been so tough waiting it out!

Other person: oh actually, I think I've seen you around on Grad Cafe.

Yep.  A stranger recognized me because I post so often on grad cafe hahaha. This person was super nice though, and I'm so glad I got to meet them!!

I wonder about this happenning sometimes! Like what if the admissions committee can figure out who I am based on my board activities!? I guess it shows my passion and enthusiasm for grad school? Lol :)

Yep.  A stranger recognized me because I post so often on grad cafe hahaha. This person was super nice though, and I'm so glad I got to meet them!!

Studying and taking exams (Winter semester is not over yet in Germany  :(  )

I know how this feels. 

I'm a CS student from Germany, too. Which university do you go to?

Edited by voices