Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

2 hours ago, Mataharii said:

I know unaffected people's opinions shouldn't matter, but I'm tired of being pressured to compromise my career for my boyfriend's by the more traditional males in my life.. it's just irritating to constantly be held to a double standard.

I am so sorry. This sucks.

2 hours ago, Mataharii said:

I know unaffected people's opinions shouldn't matter, but I'm tired of being pressured to compromise my career for my boyfriend's by the more traditional males in my life.. it's just irritating to constantly be held to a double standard.

This really sucks. 

On 4/5/2019 at 2:40 PM, Mataharii said:

Maybe people say "it shouldn't matter," but it's normal to want these men (who I'm assuming are family members) to be happy with your choices. It's hurtful when people you love don't respect your decisions, especially when you're doing so much work. I hope they learn to appreciate your efforts some day.

I still don't have funding information from my top program. I knew there was a pretty good chance I wouldn't hear this week, but that doesn't make it any easier. It feels like everyone else on this board has already made a decision, and it's so frustrating.

Hate the US and their weird ass tax system and determination of residency (with the only other country in the world basing 'residency' based on nationality being eritrea). Like for real.. why you folks always have to be special with your weird non-metric system, weird president, and also these things..

23 hours ago, Psygeek said:

Hate the US and their weird ass tax system and determination of residency (with the only other country in the world basing 'residency' based on nationality being eritrea). Like for real.. why you folks always have to be special with your weird non-metric system, weird president, and also these things..

American here who completely agrees with you.

2 hours ago, IceCream & MatSci said:

American here who completely agrees with you.

Let's not get started about all the different forms... I respect my country has online software, ENTERS all the information for me for most part, and helpful information is WAY easier to find online.

I knew I was going to feel FOMO no matter what decision I made when choosing a grad school. It's definitely the right choice for me! Why does my anxiety have to insist otherwise? Ugh.

1 hour ago, Mataharii said:

I knew I was going to feel FOMO no matter what decision I made when choosing a grad school. It's definitely the right choice for me! Why does my anxiety have to insist otherwise? Ugh.

I feel this. I had to choose between two schools with different living environments, and I liked them both a lot. However, I had a gut feeling of wanting to go to one over another. Once I chose that one, many doubts ensued, but it was definitely the right choice. 

Edited by IceCream & MatSci

Still waiting on fellowship info, and I've been paranoid that I may have been passed up because I posted identifiable info concerning the program on here... I've heard adcomms sometimes lurk on these boards, but I wasn't thinking about that when I posted my results. I was trying to be helpful to other GCers, but now I think I may have just been foolish.

7 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

I was trying to be helpful ....

As the saying goes, "That was your first mistake." ?

It's more likely that for reasons that are largely beyond your control and are unrelated to what you've posted here, other students "rank" ahead of you for funding. The easier said than done challenge for you is to be patient and to disperse the nervous energy in ways that are not bad for you or anyone else. 

23 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

Still waiting on fellowship info, and I've been paranoid that I may have been passed up because I posted identifiable info concerning the program on here... I've heard adcomms sometimes lurk on these boards, but I wasn't thinking about that when I posted my results. I was trying to be helpful to other GCers, but now I think I may have just been foolish.

Don’t give up on hope, @feralgrad!

I know where you’re coming from, I’m almost losing it at this point, waiting for the last result to come out and checking the portal every 30 minutes, but I rather think the reasons behind our acceptances/rejections and funding are beyond our control now... we could manage it up until we submitted our docs; from that time on... it’s on their hands, it depends on the number of places available, budgeting, the cohort size and quality... and so on.

I’m sending all my positive thoughts to you. I hope we can get some positive news real soon!

4 minutes ago, carolina89 said:

Don’t give up on hope, @feralgrad!

I know where you’re coming from, I’m almost losing it at this point, waiting for the last result to come out and checking the portal every 30 minutes, but I rather think the reasons behind our acceptances/rejections and funding are beyond our control now... we could manage it up until we submitted our docs; from that time on... it’s on their hands, it depends on the number of places available, budgeting, the cohort size and quality... and so on.

I’m sending all my positive thoughts to you. I hope we can get some positive news real soon!

Thank you for the kind words. As much as this sucks, it's nice knowing I'm not the only one in this spot when it feels like everyone else has made a decision already.

I'll be sending good vibes your way, too!

This application season is so overwhelming =( I couldn't possibly imagine that I would be affected like that... I mean, I'm not new at adulthood, I'm almost 30, I've been dealing with generalized anxiety and moderate OCD for more than 10 years and even so I'm able to be highly functioning: I worked in Finance for all my life, dealing with all sorts of pressure, deadlines and nasty people (oh, and a plus: I overcame the end of a long-term relationship along the way =/). 

Finally, FINALLY, I worked up the courage to quit my stable-high paying job and "follow the dream": move abroad, go back to academia, officially changing fields (I'm a Chemical Engineer applying for Statistics/Applied Math programs), and now this whole process is wearing me down. I'm waiting for one last result so I can decide where to go (which University/city in the US), and not knowing and not being in control is driving me crazy and messing up with my OCD symptoms like never before.

I took this semester as a sabbatical one (after all those years in the bank I owed me that haha), and I KNOW I should take these last months here in BR to enjoy the city (I'm from São Paulo, it's a huge city, I could basically choose a new restaurant a day to try haha), enjoy the company of my parents, friends, travel to cities nearby etc. I'm moving abroad, after all! It's supposed to be exciting!! But all I can do is WORRY about this result that won't come out and won't even let me be excited about the city I'll move to, because I don't know WHAT IT IS YET. =( 

I just want this whole application season to be over =( good news or bad news, I just want some closure, please =`(

Edited by CherryBlossom_

1 hour ago, CherryBlossom_ said:

Today I’m in the kitten mood... plus a bottle of white wine and tons of SVU old episodes hahaha 

Wine night was yesterday for me. Holding off tonight so it doesn't become Wine Week haha

Guilty pleasure: watching culinary reality shows.

Real life: I have 5 delivery apps I use on a daily basis, lunch and dinner. 6 sabbatical months later, doing nothing and being anxious all day, I put on 13 pounds. Nobody notices cause before I was almost *too* thin hahaha but when I look at the scale *I* know, you know? :( 

And I feel like doing nothing! In my mind I’ll just start moving on with my life once I know all the results and decide where I’m going! 

Edited by CherryBlossom_
Whining about my weight

I was sharing a meme about how smokey the bear is propoganda (I work in fire ecology and anthropology) with some friends. I thought it'd get some questions. I was not expecting my friend who had made a video game for the DNR to call me a liar, try to send me the emails of people who run smokey the bear in Michigan, and say that she doesn't trust academia.

Everyone is now saying that the meme was "clearly" a bad choice, even though people have sent more obviously controversial things to the chat. I'm prepared for people to disagree with my research. I'm not prepared to be attacked by people that I thought were safe around. I no longer feel comfortable sharing what I'm going to spend the next six years of my life researching with my friends and I'm angry and sad about it.