Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

While group therapy is really helpful, it also wipes me out for the rest of the day emotionally and it makes it difficult to get work done.

That being said, if you need help, therapy is really helpful guys. 

My advisors daughter who I'm working with on a project doesn't communicate with me and goes directly to my advisor, which makes me look lazy and also makes me feel useless. I had no choice in this collaboration and will be very happy when she graduates and moves on.

Taxes are irritating. I ended an assistantship in May due to graduating, started a W2 job, and have a 1099 job (teaching figure skating on the side). It's not *hard*, just annoying. Plus trying to gather all the stuff I want to write off for 1099. Boooo.

Edited by TwirlingBlades

7 hours ago, bibliophile222 said:

I know this will mean nothing to anyone who isn't a future/current SLP, but coming up with measurable long term goals for cluttering is SO FREAKING HARD!!!!

Seven hours later and I'm still at it. I'm writing laughably terrible rationales but I have no brain power left and it's due in the morning. I just have to wait until it comes back encrusted with edits and worry about it then.

Background: I asked the outreach person if I could receive the same materials that visiting students receive in the case that I can't make the visit myself.  I made clear I wanted to go, but if I could not, I didn't want to be missing any of the information.

Email got forwarded to the department head, and he was fucking RUDE.  The whole thing was basically a call out of how I'm going on too many visits (I've only been on 2...).  I never said where the school is on my list (it WAS top 3).  Here's the line that really got me:

"If we are that low on your list, I would much rather have you simply decline our offer now rather than waste everyone else's time"

4 hours ago, misslitty said:

Background: I asked the outreach person if I could receive the same materials that visiting students receive in the case that I can't make the visit myself.  I made clear I wanted to go, but if I could not, I didn't want to be missing any of the information.

Email got forwarded to the department head, and he was fucking RUDE.  The whole thing was basically a call out of how I'm going on too many visits (I've only been on 2...).  I never said where the school is on my list (it WAS top 3).  Here's the line that really got me:

"If we are that low on your list, I would much rather have you simply decline our offer now rather than waste everyone else's time"

Wow...

10 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Wow...

I had actually booked my flight for the visit, but canceled it after I received that email.  That is not the kind of environment I'm looking for.  Very bummed such a great program could be so unprofessional.

Just now, misslitty said:

I had actually booked my flight for the visit, but canceled it after I received that email.  That is not the kind of environment I'm looking for.  Very bummed such a great program could be so unprofessional.

You should make a complaint and explain that it led you to cancel your visit. This is so unacceptable. 

5 hours ago, misslitty said:

wowwowwow.. honestly probably better you're not going there.

15 hours ago, misslitty said:

That is not a great program.

20 hours ago, misslitty said:

As much as this sucks, consider it a blessing in disguise. I've heard horror stories about students who go into a well-ranked program, only to find out that the environment is super toxic and the supervisors don't care. 

I can't believe the department head thinks this is a professional or acceptable way to respond to an email from anyone. Big red flag there, probably saved you from some misery down the line though.

I may have a book contract (nothing official yet) on my thesis topic. The editor suggested that I co-author the book along with an experienced researcher (I immediately thought of my supervisor). I have explained the project to my supervisor. But waiting for her answer makes me very anxious. Maybe she'll be too busy or not interested...